A credible source said DU might wipe, heres the reasoning as well as my thoughts

ELX987

Disclaimer: THIS IS A: R U M O R E D Piece of insider information, there is no hard proof of any NQ reps saying this will happen, im just puting this info out. (DONT SHOOT AT ME FOR REPORTING, but feel free to criticize my views :D)

for given obvious privacy and conspiracy prevention reasons, I cannot reveal my source, with that out of the way:

This wipe is supposedly planned to take place when (NQ) implement the new PVP system that they have been working on, apparently some mechanics/additions are requiring this wipe to be put on the table.

Another contributing factor is that NQ has repeatedly felt like the game advanced for players too quickly and they didn't get some of their mid-game features in as everyone was focused on endgame.

My views on this are plain and simple, i care about this game and will stick with it as long as i can, NQ has said they will avoid a wipe, but if it needs to happen for the good of the game, just carry over Blueprints and talent points, that's all i ask. Otherwise keep the game as is and don't wipe if you can avoid it.

also to clarify, im not new to the game, ive been around since beta start and am relatively seasoned, credibility isn't a big deal for me though, i trust my source and i love to question people :D so feel free to question me

A wipe some time prior to release is not a matter of if but when IMO.

I can see NQ doing it prior to implementing Energy, which may well coincide with the PVP revamp being released, for what I'd consider very obvious reasons being that many bases will no longer function in the location they are now due to the random allocation of the energy value on the tiles. That is something that simply can't be "fixed" without one of two things happening; NQ wipes or orgs will need to (en-mass) move their bases which effectively achieves the same thing. The only other way would be to magically have "big) org bases being settled on tiles that happen to receive a good energy value which would probably cause quite a stir, intentional or not.

The only thing I hope NQ will do there is not hand out magic blueprints but normal ones as well as return Talent points to the pool.

This will repair all damage from previous loopholes/mistakes/exploits. I feel that orgs that are well organized will be able to rebuild very quickly and it will refresh a lot of interest in the game from (former) players as well as bring in new ones. I do feel that NQ will need to be sure they can from that wipe commit to no further ones as this would happen past the second half of the year, creeping up to their "release" date.

So many economic exploits affected the current economy:  item duplication bugs, item teleportation bugs, the ability to circumvent vehicle physics to move heavy loads, market 13 dropping parts of the market database, dev typos reducing endgame resources to 1% of expected opportunity cost.

so many expected mechanical features skewing the market: alt-f4 making stopping loads too easy (different from above), all ores having the opportunity cost of PvE ores, massive stockpiles from when mechanics were easier, the mods being really easy with ship teleportations, test server leak after test server leak spoiling real server exploration, and the devs clumsy with events.

————

this is game has had more T20 style events in 6 months, than EVE gets in 6 years (at least in game economic fallout, and in some cases even the devs fault).  It would look downright silly to not wipe.  

Though honestly I don’t think it will do much to bring people back, current mechanics are so grindy/slow that you can argue for this being the grindiest survival game.  I don’t think a returning player will want to work through that mess.

My conspiracy theory is they will wipe, because here in a number of months, the player base will be so god damn low, that it will make sense for them to "gamble" and do a wipe to actually get more players.  The wipe could actually get more players back and new ones then any amount that actually quit. Make no mistake plenty will "threaten to quit" but only a fraction actually will.  And if NQ actually has a good update down the road a wipe could be welcoming to most people.

If/when they wipe then they really need:

1) NO magic blueprints - empty only. Otherwise they are carrying forward exploits

2) Keep talent points

3) NO ore bots whatsoever after the wipe, period , end of story , not for a minute, not for an hour ZERO ore bots ever again.

Then players might actually experience a progression curve. 

Just now, Xennial said:

If/when they wipe then they really need:

1) NO magic blueprints - empty only. Otherwise they are carrying forward exploits

2) Keep talent points

3) NO ore bots whatsoever after the wipe, period , end of story , not for a minute, not for an hour ZERO ore bots ever again.

Then players might actually experience a progression curve. 

I agree, thats the only way I would be ok with a wipe.  Id prefer territory warfare to already be in the game when that happens tho. dont want no risk mining/scanning of T4/T5 ore

48 minutes ago, Xennial said:

For this to happen it is necessary to eliminate money sinks, such as schematic territories, and taxes, something I agree with 100%.

14 minutes ago, Hiturn said:

For this to happen it is necessary to eliminate money sinks, such as schematic territories, and taxes, something I agree with 100%.

the other way around, create means to get quanta from the system. But i fully support a whipe as long as we can keep Talents and probably BP

2 hours ago, ELX987 said:

Another contributing factor is that NQ has repeatedly felt like the game advanced for players too quickly and they didn't get some of their mid-game features in as everyone was focused on endgame.

If this is the issue, all the have to do is reset the talent points, when they introduce new talent system, with more longer training curve. There is no need to wipe all the other hard work of mining and building huge bases. Of course some people might have had unfair advantages from the unbalanced initial game. But then, that will sort of normalize over period of time.

Most likely they will launch new solar system at the time of transition from beta to full release. And all the new players most likely will start in the new solar system. 

What about the new PVP system could possibly require a wipe? That's absurd on its face. (It's absurd because there's no persistence in PVP, so nothing that needs wiping)

We skipped the mid-game because players always focus on the endgame and game devs always underestimate the players. If they wipe, it will happen exactly the same way again. The only way to avoid this is to add a new endgame after the players have reached the current endgame... then you get WOW's problem where everyone gets bored and quits between updates.

As even only a 3 week old player, even I would quit if it wiped, probably for good. No more wipes is the whole reason I got a subscription and them wiping after saying no more would tell me I need to find another MMO to play.

That aside, " just carry over Blueprints and talent points" that MIGHT keep me, though not in the buggy and featureless state the game is at now, I would have to have some meat to actually stay.

Ah, wipes. Everyone's favorite conspiracy. 

Still no compelling reason for NQ to wipe -- there's been exactly 0 major updates so far. It doesn't make a lot of sense to do a wipe in conjunction with the first major update, at least IMHO. 

If the game's balance is broken, they need room to keep breaking it until closer to release.

There's not much point doing a wipe, dropping a big update, then realizing that this update introduced a new crop of exploits that once again unbalances the game. They'd be creating a lot more problems than they would be solving.

The balance of the game really isn't their top priority at this point. That should be kind of obvious based on their collective shrugs toward exploits until now.

They have a mountain of bugs to fix and features to implement. If they can't prove that DU is capable of moving beyond Alpha, it really doesn't matter how balanced or fair the game is. 

Wipe or not, the game's future does hinge on the next big update. It'll soon be six months since "beta" launch. NQ needs to show they can actually get the game to a releasable state before they prove that the game is balanced and fair...they can always wipe later, but they have very limited time to prove that the game can actually be finished.

4 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

I don't believe it.  The big corporations would cry their eyes out.  I think this was a post to start conversation on the subject.  

yes and no, i heard something and wanted everyone elses opinions, so there ya go.

18 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Really ?

NQ: go mine for hours to get schematics

Players: mining for hours hoping to get schems that they want.

NQ: huh, you got to end game too fast, let's wipe....

Players: never again....

Not gonna happen.

i hope it doesn't happen, but i must say NQ is shooting for long term stability, and it is their game to succeed or fail, we are just here for the ride and to rate the ride.

4 hours ago, Universum01 said:

As even only a 3 week old player, even I would quit if it wiped, probably for good. No more wipes is the whole reason I got a subscription and them wiping after saying no more would tell me I need to find another MMO to play.

That aside, " just carry over Blueprints and talent points" that MIGHT keep me, though not in the buggy and featureless state the game is at now, I would have to have some meat to actually stay.

contradicting what i said before with the ride analogy, i do care alot about this game and would hate to see a wipe, but not my call

7 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Hahaha your credible source needs to keep me in the loop. I've heard nothing about a wipe! ?‍♀️

img_1813.gif

6 hours ago, SubotRobot said:

If this is the issue, all the have to do is reset the talent points, when they introduce new talent system, with more longer training curve. There is no need to wipe all the other hard work of mining and building huge bases. Of course some people might have had unfair advantages from the unbalanced initial game. But then, that will sort of normalize over period of time.

Most likely they will launch new solar system at the time of transition from beta to full release. And all the new players most likely will start in the new solar system. 

yes for everything besides the talent stuff, talent points should be carried over in a unallocated pool like when they last reset talent points, and the longer training curve is a maybe, idk.

7 hours ago, Hiturn said:

faucets and sinks in balance are important in this games economy as they should be in any economy

1 hour ago, michaelk said:

Ah, wipes. Everyone's favorite conspiracy. 

Still no compelling reason for NQ to wipe -- there's been exactly 0 major updates so far. It doesn't make a lot of sense to do a wipe in conjunction with the first major update, at least IMHO. 

If the game's balance is broken, they need room to keep breaking it until closer to release.

There's not much point doing a wipe, dropping a big update, then realizing that this update introduced a new crop of exploits that once again unbalances the game. They'd be creating a lot more problems than they would be solving.

The balance of the game really isn't their top priority at this point. That should be kind of obvious based on their collective shrugs toward exploits until now.

They have a mountain of bugs to fix and features to implement. If they can't prove that DU is capable of moving beyond Alpha, it really doesn't matter how balanced or fair the game is. 

Wipe or not, the game's future does hinge on the next big update. It'll soon be six months since "beta" launch. NQ needs to show they can actually get the game to a releasable state before they prove that the game is balanced and fair...they can always wipe later, but they have very limited time to prove that the game can actually be finished.

agreed, agreed my friend.

With resource generation blown, and balancing and optimization along with the changes made over time there will need to be a wipe after the game loop is complete and at this point they bungled the whole thing from the start to the point that there is no real way around not wiping the server to restore balance. It works for the existing solar system but if they add more I would assume that is where the updates to world generation will end up with possible a full resource wipe.

Not to mention the devs wanted to fix the hexes on territory and you cant do that without resetting everything after the game is feature complete.

10 hours ago, ELX987 said:

Disclaimer: THIS IS A: R U M O R E D Piece of insider information, there is no hard proof of any NQ reps saying this will happen, im just puting this info out. (DONT SHOOT AT ME FOR REPORTING, but feel free to criticize my views :D)

for given obvious privacy and conspiracy prevention reasons, I cannot reveal my source, with that out of the way:

This wipe is supposedly planned to take place when (NQ) implement the new PVP system that they have been working on, apparently some mechanics/additions are requiring this wipe to be put on the table.

My views on this are plain and simple, i care about this game and will stick with it as long as i can, NQ has said they will avoid a wipe, but if it needs to happen for the good of the game, just carry over Blueprints and talent points, that's all i ask. Otherwise keep the game as is and don't wipe if you can avoid it.

Let me guess,  your cousin's best friend's brother in law's wife who you used to date this IT nerd in highschool, whose dad works as ground's keeper at the building across the street where AWS datacenter is located overheard it by the watercooler as he was getting a snickers bar on his way to the car.  

I put a lot of hours into the game already on the assumption that I was building up a base to play from for years.  If a wipe is needed then a wipe is needed (and I get why it might be in order to start everyone from a fair baseline again) but it would be nice to get something back for the effort I already put in?  Perhaps they could turn the assets value into DAC or some other game time voucher so it wasn't all for nothing?  Handing loyal customers who put hours in more free hours at launch time isn't a terrible idea anyway ...

Also perhaps announce it properly and let people discuss what they might want in exchange for the assets they built up which doesn't imbalance the game?  Also perhaps schedule it for after all the disruptive changes have been made, everyone agrees the game is fun and viable and all the bad economic interventions, urges to tell people how to play the game, etc are out of everyone's systems first so it's the last wipe?

15 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

I put a lot of hours into the game already on the assumption that I was building up a base to play from for years.  If a wipe is needed then a wipe is needed (and I get why it might be in order to start everyone from a fair baseline again) but it would be nice to get something back for the effort I already put in?  Perhaps they could turn the assets value into DAC or some other game time voucher so it wasn't all for nothing?  Handing loyal customers who put hours in more free hours at launch time isn't a terrible idea anyway ...

Also perhaps announce it properly and let people discuss what they might want in exchange for the assets they built up which doesn't imbalance the game?  Also perhaps schedule it for after all the disruptive changes have been made, everyone agrees the game is fun and viable and all the bad economic interventions, urges to tell people how to play the game, etc are out of everyone's systems first so it's the last wipe?

That"s a good idea however there would be a cap, otherwise alredy rich people gonna have years of game for "free".

3 minutes ago, Pacman-1 said:

That"s a good idea however there would be a cap, otherwise alredy rich people gonna have years of game for "free".

While that sounds bad, if there are a small number of them and they can't transfer it/turn it back to in-game money then it doesn't actually affect the bottom line does it?  It's a decent way of removing the advantage given by the gains people have without erasing the results of peoples' efforts.  And if a small number of people profit because they cashed in at the right time and are rich then so be it.  They're not going to be able to break the economy with their free game time so it doesn't really make much difference to me.

Perhaps some sort of decreasing reward for huge amounts of money (i.e. linear reward increase for exponentially increasing asset size).

2 hours ago, XKentX said:

Really ?

NQ: huh, you got to end game too fast, let's wipe....

Not gonna happen.

NQ: ok, now here is the same schematics for 1% the cost, but only for some of you

Fixed it for you.

Damn when are people going to quit beating this dead horse. The wipe makes zero sense, the exploit is like winning the lottery  the profits will dwindle away eventually not the end of the world , the economy doesn’t need a server wipe to correct it needs new mechanics introduced into the game to balance out they aren’t going to do a wipe

11 minutes ago, jdalto said:

Damn when are people going to quit beating this dead horse. The wipe makes zero sense, the exploit is like winning the lottery  the profits will dwindle away eventually not the end of the world , the economy doesn’t need a server wipe to correct it needs new mechanics introduced into the game to balance out they aren’t going to do a wipe

The profits will not "dwindle away". They will compound. People were quite literally given licenses to print money. This extra quanta will only compound over time and make the disparity worse, not better.