Laughing so hard @DU Market

I was bored, a friend wanted to have me make something for them. So I charged them the price it would be for just the ore to be used. Then I looked at market, and like most thoughtful people, nearly died laughing as I saw element after element being sold, cheaper than the ore to make it. Which honestly seems a bit backwards as the "Bots" everyone so heavily hates, do nothing but create a "Floor" price for ores and an outlet for people to sell to when no one else is buying at above bot prices.

Then I checked the price of bot sell orders, NQ drop the price please, give it a margin of 10-15% profit instead based on the cost of the ore for it if your going to set floor pricing, it makes sense. Then also, like I mentioned on another thread, make it easier to see the base value of something based on ore cost, not everyone wants to research the cost of something outside of the game. 

Just my two cents in beta ✌

This happens in most games that I've played with markets. A lot of the time items are sold below the cost of ingredients because people are impatient and want their items to sell quickly. For example, you can't deconstruct an engine back into the ore to get the ore price. So if you need money and what you have to sell is engines, you list them at the lowest price. In DU demand is low for most items, so people will keep listing them lower and lower to complete the few sales available.

The other reason is that , it's just a game and quanta doesn't mean much. You have players who just enjoy making things through industry. They mine their own ore and like to make items with it and sell those items. It doesn't really matter if it's the optimal way to make the most quanta, it's fun for people and they do it.

There are industry talents that effectively reduce the amount of ore needed to make something, but only to a point. I have also seen some under priced things on market.

I just thought I'd bring  up the idea that some people are under valuing their own product to sell things, in any free market I can understand prices being low, but lower than resource cost. You'd show those finances to any company that exist and they'd either have a heart attack or start laughing at you. Not insulting anyone obviously, just sharing a point I do not see posted on the boards in regards to the market.

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, fiddlybits said:

This happens in most games that I've played with markets. A lot of the time items are sold below the cost of ingredients because people are impatient and want their items to sell quickly. For example, you can't deconstruct an engine back into the ore to get the ore price. So if you need money and what you have to sell is engines, you list them at the lowest price. In DU demand is low for most items, so people will keep listing them lower and lower to complete the few sales available.

The other reason is that , it's just a game and quanta doesn't mean much. You have players who just enjoy making things through industry. They mine their own ore and like to make items with it and sell those items. It doesn't really matter if it's the optimal way to make the most quanta, it's fun for people and they do it.

Maybe that needs to change, perhaps we should have a mechanic that allows for deconstruction of items to their base ores with some loss. That way people can sell below market price all they like (probably the crowd that mines their own ore....so you know, the ore is free right :D ) can do that but those who notice this trend can take advantage of it

34 minutes ago, bleakcon said:

Maybe that needs to change, perhaps we should have a mechanic that allows for deconstruction of items to their base ores with some loss. 

Recycling was mentioned awhile ago, but haven’t heard anything about it recently 

17 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

Recycling was mentioned awhile ago, but haven’t heard anything about it recently 

It's a shame, I would imagine this to be a required piece of gameplay, it definitely happens in the real world and would act as a very nice counterbalance to the issue of players making silly decisions when marking up products.

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.2eb92551170224ef1eea177e305e4576.png

How to read:

Ore prices are somewhat current alioth prices.
Numbers under "untalented" are prices it costs to make 1 of the item. So without talents it costs 67 quanta to make a single screw with the ore prices assumed at the start.
Numbers under "talented" are prices with maxed out skills for refining, smelting and intermediary parts. A screw now costs only 25 quanta.

As of writing this, the cheapest Adjustor L on the market (mine) cost 14999. About 97% of that I get (2% storage fee, 1% value fee).