Give Warp Beacons a purpose

JohnnyTazer

3 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Currently I do not regard anything as permanent with regards to how warp works. The point is fair that at the current landing distance from warp many non combatants would find themselves holding the short end of the stick. Seeing how NQ has "solved" other situations though, I think it's more likely they will just set he landing distance at the edge of atmosphere allowing ships to just dive in and use corridors to get down safely.

gree but they are both part of the same potential solution to a new situation once safezones go away. And as such, they are both valid equally and mostly complement each other.

Yes many things "seem" to be place holders, but I lack the confidence NQ has the ability to make changes to warp in a meaningful and balanced way.  But way to often people do cry about not wanting "easy kills" and say that pvp needs to be "meaningful", removing the safe zones on the outer planet is going to lead people to camp to get their pvp fix.  Some of us while we are excited for territory warfare, we prefer all things space as opposed to doing things in an atmosphere.  Even if space stations make their way into pvp zones, how often am i gonna waste my time grinding structure timers like in eve ( they were painful and always a means to an end, which is fine) but then leads to, if I can camp a planet and hit haulers coming out of warp, why would I attack space stations then?  Where is the meaningful pvp?  Why even set up a beacon with my corp, when I can just warp from my safe spot around alioth to any planet when im ready to pvp with my group.

Force projection will be a real thing, and having easy warps I see will be a big problem.  Anyone gets intel of a fight going, Group A who has 40 ships can warp to any planet and get into the action.  It was a big problem in eve.  How NQ deals with it will be interesting, but I forsee lots of tears on the forums about bigger groups warping anywhere at anytime and zerging people when outer safe zones drop.

Making warp beacon’s a T3 or T4 item, ability to add public access to them along with removing the planet warp makes a lot of sense. Add this to a couple needed warp changes and this could be a winner imo.

Bringing Warp beacons down to a T4 item will possibly allow prices to drop well below 100M which will make them much more viable while remaining an item you need to do work for.  As said, the suggestion makes sense and while it needs to be finetuned seem to fit nicely. As mentioned though, I expect it's not something NQ has even considered nor do I expect they wil as they will probably choose the easy solution by just moving the warp exit point to at or just above the edge of outer atmosphere once safezones go away. 

Sounds to me like only rich orgs would be able to warp at all if they implement this.  So you would get tons more slow-boat players to attack whenever you like AND you make sure that rich orgs have total control of who warps and who doesn't.  And, of course, once they get taken over and/or destroyed in PvP then we would still get ganked or even not be able to warp to that planet at all.

Idk, the big orgs already have so much of an advantage as it is.  Id rather they not know for sure I'm warping or slow boating.  I'd rather the risk be left up to me to decide.

You're a cool dude Johnny, but I dont' think you're all of a sudden turning into some kind of altruistic pvper who worries about the safety of your fellow players. ?

18 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

Warp beacons already have a purpose -- so the devs can hand out expensive schematics to a select few who just happen to log in at the right moment ...

Yep, another schematic is up for sale. Fun game.

lul.png