Balancing idea: Roles & perks.

Verliezer

Maybe I am not the first to put this idea in the box, if so then sry for that.

A big challenge in the game is the economy.

- Ore selling prices are high (should be for starting players to earn some money).

- All market products are being sold under the cost price

- No incentive to focus on a specific kind of work (everybody can do everything).

But what if you have to choose a role e.g. Miner, Industrialist, Pilot, Engineer, Builder. Then limit the talent training to the role you play. Some generic talents to be trained but also role specific talents. Also it is possible to introduce perks e.g. a Miner can sell ore for a better price than a pilot. In this case people who like to mine, will start a mining career and an industrialist will be rewarded for creating elements and sell them on the market because he finally should be able to make a profit from selling stuff at the market.

Of course it should be possible to switch your carreer and become another role, but then you loose your talents and perks.

NQ has a couple of problems that prevent them from considering this, even when it is actually a good idea (which it is)

• NQ does not directly want to gate or control what players can do. They want to pretend DU is agame where you are free to do what you want which we know is not true.
  • NQ has created a situation where they can't drastically alter core game functionality as they have pretty much excluded wipes
  • NQ can't make any changes to the game that impact everyone equally and might cause a serious impact for the big orgs as that, they fear, would cause a riot of the magnitude they can't afford.

Because of this, NQ can't do what would fit your suggestion and would IMO be great for the game which is both gate access to elements and switch to a system where talents need to be acquired on the markets. Both combined would at least make players think about what they want to do and at the same time make the game UI (as far as talents goes) less cluttered.

A game which has this idea well worked out is Eco where you can do research on recipes to create skill books which then spawn scrolls which in turn can be sold and which unlock player abilities. But a loop like that is probably too complex for NQ to consider. Eco also has an awesome "mission system" btw which can be used for anything from "Bring me X of Y" or "dig out my basement for me" to "I will provide a loan of X against Y% interest"..

Point is there is a lot of games beyond EVE for NQ to draw inspiration and ideas from;)

The role PERKS sound fine overall. Limiting what you can do depending on the role you play... sounds like a terrible idea. The whole concept of this game is being whatever you want to be, or a mix of all of the roles. Heck, you may not want to be one of those roles. What would you do then? 

On 2/10/2021 at 1:37 PM, Uajrh1 said:

The role PERKS sound fine overall. Limiting what you can do depending on the role you play... sounds like a terrible idea. The whole concept of this game is being whatever you want to be, or a mix of all of the roles. Heck, you may not want to be one of those roles. What would you do then? 

Do this then? 

return of the jedi episode 6 GIF by Star Wars