My take on salvaging

Serula

When salvaging first arrived I was expecting something completely different. I envisioned a world scattered with small wrecks. Wrecks you have to find by eye without any UI assistance or directional cues. Something that is balanced with mining but a little less rewarding so it's not the only thing people do. The small reward of the discovery of a wreck would offset the small difference in reward compared to mining.

2021-01-30.thumb.png.a95d6ed83d285c112b6d9f340ce463a9.png

The wrecks
The wrecks should be xs cores with a few voxels and elements on them. Not even a complete ship. Depending on how many elements a wreck has and how well you can see them they should be spread out differently. I imagine maybe 3 wrecks per hex depending. You would mostly salvage basic items from them, maybe the occasional freight xs engine or s atmo engine.

In order to have wrecks be diverse and surprising enough there needs to be a great variety of them. To create all those wrecks we could announce a wreck creation event for the community with specific guidelines. The reward for this event is simply having the wreck be part of the game.

Regeneration
To ensure that salvaging remains a constant activity especially for starting players they should regenerate. I imagine something similar to how the spawning and regeneration of surface rocks works. Though wrecks should not spawn in the same place over and over but rather be random so you always have to keep looking for them.

Deconstruction
Because I think the market doesnt have a high enough demand for xs elements, especially on other planets, I think it might be difficult to make money selling the salvaged elements. So we probably need to have a way to deconstruct the elements into base components or even grind it back to ore.

I agree on all counts.
some additional points.
1. wreaks should only spawn when no one is near by, and should never spawn overlapping an existing construct.
2. some wreaks should be spawned in space and tossed towards the planet...