[Guide] Protect yourself from Hauling (Courier) Mission System scams.

Elitez

The simple reality is it's highly unlikely missions will be used outside of safe space unless the reward offered covers the expense (warp cells / fuel) and provides enough profit to entice a person with a large enough ship to actually undertake the mission.

#1 Delivery) This is why it would be far more useful for me to put a mission box down , select that I want XYZ to appear there in the next 24 hours , and have the mission reward cover the offered price for the items + delivery fee. No collateral needed. This has the advantage of working outside the safe zone as well because if it's at 24-48h window then the hauler can take precautions from being camped. All you need to do is make sure mission boxes have to be placed at or above surface level on the planet and cannot be moved once issued reward paid to escrow on mission creation.

#2 Hauling) Hauling things from point A to point B , will only be utilized imo within orgs outside the safe zone. The reward you would need to offer to transport goods within the safe zone alone vs the collateral needed to cover their market price is likely to be gameplay prohibitive. Outside the safe zone only a fool would take a mission as likely 90% will be utter scams of one variety or another. Expecting some gameable reputation system to substitute for RL laws in hauling thing form A to B is inherently flawed and naïve.  The risk to the hauler is exponentially greater then the reward in every aspect, and is unlikely to ever pass the risk vs reward test outside of safe space. 

As an industrialist #1 above is way more important to me then #2. For #2 expect it to only be viable in the safe zone for trusted known mission issuers that can bring enough items to market to makeup for the fee they will pay for someone else to run the mission. So no one should expect player missions to be newbie friendly on any level for hauling things around. Delivery on the other hand would be newbie friendly.

52 minutes ago, Xennial said:

The simple reality is it's highly unlikely missions will be used outside of safe space unless the reward offered covers the expense (warp cells / fuel) and provides enough profit to entice a person with a large enough ship to actually undertake the mission.

This is very true.  In EvE if you haul to lowsec you use means to make yourself VERY safe if you know what you are doing (jump frieghters, DST's with scouts, etc).  And most times when I paid for hauling while I lived in lowsec, I just had them drop it off in the highsec next door to our lowsec.  So they would do the 18 jumps from Jita, and I would grab it and move it 1-2 jumps with a scout in an area we lived and had constent intel.  And to my knowledge most nullsec hauling was done in house.   Same with wormholes.  So that lead only really highsec and "some" lowsec for the random public contracts. Those did happen a lot, but the dangerous areas there was a lot more finesse and in allaince hauiing.

4 hours ago, Deintus said:

In RL the hauler is required to have insurance to cover loss or stolen goods or to show the ability to replace the lost or stolen goods. Of course with all systems the paying of such insurance is passed down to the end consumer as always, but thats our world today.

RL haulers in war zones are generally using the customer's truck lol, i.e., Soldier driving an Army truck. The soldier isn't responsible if the mission fails (although he might be dead).

I'm fine with having insurance... which charge I would pass on to the customer - it's part of the cost of delivery. In lieu of that, the customer can put up a surety to replace my ship if it gets destroyed.

5 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

RL haulers in war zones are generally using the customer's truck lol, i.e., Soldier driving an Army truck. The soldier isn't responsible if the mission fails (although he might be dead).

I'm fine with having insurance... which charge I would pass on to the customer - it's part of the cost of delivery. In lieu of that, the customer can put up a surety to replace my ship if it gets destroyed.

Your not going to get insurance for your ship. The opposite , you'll be paying escrow for the goods your transporting. You lose your ship , you failed the mission. 

If a pizza delivery drive gets in a wreck and totals their car the pizza joints doesn't buy them a new one.

3 hours ago, Xennial said:

Your not going to get insurance for your ship. The opposite , you'll be paying escrow for the goods your transporting. You lose your ship , you failed the mission. 

If a pizza delivery drive gets in a wreck and totals their car the pizza joints doesn't buy them a new one.

Alas, that's probably true. There may be insurance in the game but it will be a scam like everything else offered by players.