So, about patch 0.24

blazemonger

Best one can hope, mission terminals with find shiny rock at A at planet X and bring it back to terminal.

Alternativelly with tools tools they have on hand they Maybe could do mission block diagrams from which

players could assemble and post missions of predetermined base types for others to complete. Which again

isn't anything novel or exciting.  I would not have been much different from EVE contracts, and like in eve 

it would never really work.

Having said that, NQ maybe amateurs, but they're certainly NOT morons,  they mostly likely see the problems just as clearly as we all do,

but the lack of initial design and structure kinda boxes them into corner where they just jerry rig random concepts into semi hardcoded

systems they have.  They know non payer actors whould have bought them much needed time, if for nothing else to give something to shoot at,

while they work on much neglected fundamentals.  But again it's the lacking fundamentals that prevent them from doing so.

As an example take the whole energy management fiasco. Had the systems come from few base classes upon which all succeeded, 

they could have avoided a lot of the problems and had an open base classes on which they have built their systems for years.

for the sake of argument let's say

energry systems (parents class)  ->  energy generation systems, energy emission systems, energy absorption (child classes) 

onto which they could have built all suceeding systems.  OOP has been around for 50 years for a reason...

instead we have 5 types of space fuel, which aparently have same performance, density  yet they cannot be mixed

we have fuel tanks that cannot be linked, we have engines that have dissproportiante sizes and performace and are hard to control.

Other engines that apparently don't need anything to run.  Atmo part of energy systems is kind of obsolete with antigrav and space elevators

Shields don't exists so it's basically about building the ships of the heaviest materials you have on hand, gunnery that is a joke and again apart from

ammo don't need anything and can be buried in voxels.  No electronic warefare, radars that mostly a placeholder and uterrely broken

warp mechanics that make much of other systems .. surprise, surprise obsolete again.

And for that reason all we get is some textures,  bit of BSP tree tuning and little bit text to play with

In order for missions to be truly useful I need to be able to :

1) Place container on ground. 

2) Select what I want someone to deliver to it. 

3) Generate mission for delivery to my box

The moving goods to market is fine and all but what is really needed is the ability to import items to places other then a market. 

Also org wallet, with the ability to sell items as an org. Same for missions, should be able to be listed as an org and paid for out of that wallet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, SpiceRub said:

Territory warfare is territory warfare, if you're a solo player with 1 hex on some random planet that's your own fault. The point of Du being a civilisation builder was that people build up together and create their own safezones as countries, form alliances etc. But none of that happens or is needed with DU being half the game it is + the almost infinite safezones.

I just hope they add some additional base defense weapons as a part of it (territory warfare).

43 minutes ago, OrionSteed said:

I just hope they add some additional base defense weapons as a part of it (territory warfare).

Not AI base defenses. Those will never work against anyone attacking you anyway.  EvE's system is tried and true, and as about fair as you can get in a video game where you cant be online 24/7.  Give some special defenses (player used) that arent on ships...sure.  But also timers.  Thats the biggest factor.  Someone attacks your base, setting up a timer, giving you 2-4 days to decide how to defend, or evacuate.  It's as fair as it will ever get. Period.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:28 PM, Bazzy_505 said:

Having said that, NQ maybe amateurs, but they're certainly NOT morons,  they mostly likely see the problems just as clearly as we all do,

but the lack of initial design and structure kinda boxes them into corner where they just jerry rig random concepts into semi hardcoded

systems they have.  They know non payer actors whould have bought them much needed time, if for nothing else to give something to shoot at,

while they work on much neglected fundamentals.  But again it's the lacking fundamentals that prevent them from doing so.

Pretty much spot on.. The problem with this is that for years, we have tried to get them to understand that we're really fine with them being "amateurs"/inexperienced and that they may well have bitten off a piece they can't possibly chew. We also made the point that that is unfortunate but understandable.

What is a concern is that while you would expect that NQ would learn from mistakes, make the needed changes and move on, they just keep tripping over the same issues and never even remotely seem to be willing to show ownership for this. Instead they will often look for something or someone to direct the attention to and slam on that real hard. Prime example being M15.

Right now, they are entirely ignoring, once again, the community concerns about some of their tactics and the glaring issues in the game backend and seem to try and cover that in a flow of "happy days.. here's a devblog.. and and another one.. and oh, a test server".. All of which is good and appreciated but using it to try and push the community beyond the mistakes and lack of management they show only means that the same issue will happen again and at that time it's rinse/repeat.

As long as NQ does not actually take ownership of the issues they create and starts cleaning up, they wil only find progress will become harder and harder to achieve as the disconnect with te community, the technical debt and general image of the game gets worse and worse.

34 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Pretty much spot on.. The problem with this is that for years, we have tried to get them to understand that we're really fine with them being "amateurs"/inexperienced and that they may well have bitten off a piece they can't possibly chew. We also made the point that that is unfortunate but understandable.

What is a concern is that while you would expect that NQ would learn from mistakes, make the needed changes and move on but they just keep tripping over the same issues and never even remotely seem to be willing to show ownership for this. Instead they will often look for something or someone to direct the attention to and slam on that real hard. Prime example being M15.

Right now, they are entirely ignoring, once again, the community concerns about some of their tactics and the glaring issues in the game backend and seem to try and cover that in a flow of "happy days.. here's a devblog.. and and another one.. and oh, a test server".. All of which is good and appreciated but using it to try and push the community beyond the mistakes and lack of management they show only means that the same issue will happen again and at that time it's rinse/repeat.

As long as NQ does not actually take ownership of the issues they create and starts cleaning up, they wil only find progress will become harder and harder to achieve as the disconnect with te community, the technical debt and general image of the game gets worse and worse.

Completely agree. I'm just curious, what is M15?

2 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Not AI base defenses. Those will never work against anyone attacking you anyway.  EvE's system is tried and true, and as about fair as you can get in a video game where you cant be online 24/7.  Give some special defenses (player used) that arent on ships...sure.  But also timers.  Thats the biggest factor.  Someone attacks your base, setting up a timer, giving you 2-4 days to decide how to defend, or evacuate.  It's as fair as it will ever get. Period.

That's fine.  At least it's something...

Org wallets?????

I hope that took 5min.  If they spend any real amount of time on that crap, this patch will be a joke.   The game needs optimization, period.  Everything else should be put on standby.  

You can just set up dispensers to transfer money...  The priorities in this game are bat-shit crazy.

11 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

It's baffling to me how little progress is made in so much time. It was never terribly impressive to begin with, but the more employers NQ gets, the slower they seem to move.

This has always been one of the main concerns from the very beginning.

36 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Judging from what they actually implemented, 5 minutes sounds about right.

3 minutes for the mission system.

It's baffling to me how little progress is made in so much time. It was never terribly impressive to begin with, but the more employees NQ gets, the slower they seem to move.

And then someone else recently posted a link that shows how the montreal branch has an "annual revenue" of $8.87 million... Which couldn't be from all those hundreds of thousands of game subscriptions that they aren't selling, huh... One can't help but wonder what their time is really spent on, what else they got going on.

Best case scenario I can think of is if most development resources are going to the server tech and they are licensing it to other development studios. But that still doesn't mean that the game itself has any priority, or even that it hasn't already been written off... ? 

Server tech? I read some posts that said they were on amazons servers.  Are they running their own show?

3 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I meant NQ's Continuous Single Shard Server, one of very few things about this whole project that they actually developed in-house. As far as I know it's currently still the first and only one of its kind, although the main principle is fairly straightforward.

Maybe they're just keeping the game alive (barely) because the playerbase makes for a cheap crowdsourced labor force for testing the server tech with DU as a use case. Maybe that's how this title pays for itself: It's not a game, it's a test case. The actual product is the server tech, the actual customers are other studios. Maybe that's why they do close to zero testing themselves before deploying a patch. The kind of bugs that make it through "QA" *cough* is unbelievable and always has been. Maybe that's why the last major added feature of note is still the PvP patch from march 2020. Maybe that's why no significant feature has been added in almost a year. Maybe that's why almost every feature is bare bones, barely works, and none of them reflect the time it took to implement by a long shot. Maybe that's why the game is still having most of the same problems now as we've had since day one. Honestly I can't think of another explanation. Nothing about this flimsy joke of a game and NQ's M.O. makes any sense whatsoever. I seriously don't know what else to think anymore, it's ridiculous.

That explanation fits.  It's bad for this game though.  I didn't know this single shard server was new stuff, or that good.  Crazy, if you're right though 

I updated the first post on the thread as I entirely forgot the big one and main course for he patch next to the missions system.. The Creative mode instance

NQ will follow their usual pattern so here's my prediction:

Devblog 1: Mission System (28-01)

Devblog 2: Org Wallets (10-02)

Devblog 3: The "major change" to the way jetpacks work in space (19-02)

Devblog 4: PTS and new textures/assets using Quixel and Speedtree (end Feb)

Devblog 5: Linked container range nerf and the Creative mode instance (first week March)

"AMA/Q&A" session stream with JC (second/third week March)

0.24 patch set to release 24/25 March ..

--==--

And while we're at at it..

Next up end of June:

• PVP revamp
  • Power/Energy management
  • Asteroid mining
  • Mining units

Then, late September (and yes, I fully expect a wipe for this patch)

• Territory Warfare (safezones around outer planets goes away)
  • Player Markets
  • Stargates and a new solar system with improved biomes

The new system will have one safezone planet with it's moons, I expect NQ will place the gate to and from that system in the safezones on either side "for now".

Lastly, the "release" patch early/halfway through December: 

• 2nd iteration of the Mission system
  • Pets
  • Vertex Editor
  • Possibly a Market API