NQ-Naunet

[Discussion] DevBlog: The Mission System

12 hours ago, Moosegun said:

You do realise that the missions are optional and you will know the location, so you will know if you are going into pvp space or not.  So it is up to you if you want to take that risk?  People have brains, like in real life, you can choose to get an Uber or just jump in a cab outside the venue that sort of thing.  If people make stupid choices, are some point they will have to start paying consequences.

Firstly you quoted my entire message with your reply. The mission interface in the screenshots doesn't provide the volume/mass info. Nor the system seems proofed against making it impossible to complete the mission. Your reply to me has zero bearing on those 2 methods of abuse.

Maybe you're only talking about the method of camping delivery stations in PvP space. Camping contract destinations would not arise meaningful gameplay for either side. It would be bullcrap. The UI doesn't provide the new player with the ability to discern whether the mission sends them to a planet (with a protected destination) through PvP zone, or to a space station (unprotected destination) in PvP zone. Even if it did, the new player wouldn't know how easy it is to camp these stations. Even in Eve it's viable to fulfill hauling contracts in 0 security space without getting locked out of the station. In DU mechanics it's super easy to lock people out. It's also not really super creative/meaningful from the pirate's perspective to spam these contracts, then sit around and wait for flies to come in so they can zap them. 

Your reasoning is at odds with how game development works in 2020. Every new player who gets scammed trying to fill one of these missions and quit would be a loss to the game. People don't have patience for bullcrap in 2020. I'm all for piracy but it should arise from situations where the game doesn't fail informing players of the PvP risks, and players would take them anyway because of the rewards. That would be the non-bullcrap, meaningful scenario for piracy and prey.

It would be really awesome if you could incorporate, drone, NPC ships as a part of this mission system.  Ships with great rewards.  These PvP guys need something of substance and reward to shoot at.

On 1/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, smurfenq said:

There is no way hauling missions can be warpable, that would kill the whole point of it, no risk yet high reward, that doesn't seem fair does it? Us pirates would like to have a piece of the cake you know. If hauling missions are warpable, people will just warp, go next mission, warp, rinse and repeat and all the sudden you're now rich, for pressing like 2 buttons, there's gotta be some risk, otherwise we'll just have the whole playerbase warping across the system all day doing nothing else and for real, there is nothing fun with that. Make it fun, make it fair.

I get what you're saying, but "slow boating" 2 to 4 hours from point A, to point B, knowing you're probably going to get creamed is not going to encourage missions.  This game should not be stacked in the PvP'ers favor, it should be a level playing field.

I've skimmed through this entire thread and it seems you are all so busy complaining about PvP you have all failed to see a glaring Easter egg.. 

The attached image is from the Aphelia missions, the target is Thousands of SU away, the value is huge and the mission is to destroy them all. 

If I'm not mistaken, this is a hint at future PvE. 

Screenshot_20210203_214142_com.android.chrome.png

This is a step in the right direction but it's pretty urgent in my opinion. You are going to need to expand quest tree asap b/c hauling only will get old pretty quick like mining did. Expand, expand, expand. 

You should be able to see the contents of the package, so if they screw up the collateral amount you can steal it.

A very lucrative form of emergent gameplay i enjoyed in EVE, until they virtually killed it by adding the estimated value to all inventory windows.

9 hours ago, Mamba_Lev said:

You should be able to see the contents of the package, so if they screw up the collateral amount you can steal it.

A very lucrative form of emergent gameplay i enjoyed in EVE, until they virtually killed it by adding the estimated value to all inventory windows.

I think having separate secured and unsecured available makes sense. It gives the shipper options on whether they want to protect their cargo or save money and trust their collateral estimates. For the shipper's that are cutting costs it also gives the courier a risk free way to steal items that have the wrong collateral set. There should be a system that allows for risk/reward on both sides of the transaction.

On 28.1.2021 at 4:40 PM, Kruzer said:

Overall, this is great news a mission system will potentially give players something to do but with the game as it is it may not be enough. 

I don't know about pirating missions. There is no pirating in this game just murder.  The combat mechanic is so horrible that basically once you've been targeted/scanned and your warp drive is reset, you are done.  The balance of risks is terrible you can lose weeks of work mining ore and getting a large hauler just to lose it to some guy who slapped some guns on a box.  On the other side, killing another ship is basically just getting into range and button pushing.  The only real purpose of "combat" in this game is basically just a harmless outlet for psychopaths.

My oppinion too. Also the weapons do too much damage. if you try to build a saver ship, you can't move it from the ground. 

Gold Voxels have extremly to much Hitpoints (compare it to other Metals, that are in the real world much harder than gold) 

Everybody is waiting for AtmoPVP, but if you would implement it jet, you get empty servers in a short time.

My oppinion is, that you should optimize weapon damage and Voxel/Item HP and Talent improvements.  Aktually it looks like loveless given Numbers in the Sourcecode.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, Seiteck said:

Like some others have said maybe put the missions on a "test server" before it goes live to see if and how things will work.

They can't make the main server run well..  Let alone 2.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, Shockr said:

I've skimmed through this entire thread and it seems you are all so busy complaining about PvP you have all failed to see a glaring Easter egg.. 

The attached image is from the Aphelia missions, the target is Thousands of SU away, the value is huge and the mission is to destroy them all. 

If I'm not mistaken, this is a hint at future PvE. 

Screenshot_20210203_214142_com.android.chrome.png

Yeah, i'm really looking forward to staring at empty space for hours..

5 hours ago, Mamba_Lev said:

Yeah, i'm really looking forward to staring at empty space for hours..

It'll be a temporary warp beacon. Or a front line that needs fighting on. I can't imagine you're gonna be expected to slowboat 3000SU for one fight. 

So the employer put a box on his base where that whatever should be delivered.

What if I create a juicy mission to deliver me some crap with juicy collateral and put the box 10km underground on my sanct tile ?

On 2/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, XKentX said:

So the employer put a box on his base where that whatever should be delivered.

What if I create a juicy mission to deliver me some crap with juicy collateral and put the box 10km underground on my sanct tile ?

Yep, pretty easy way to abuse the system.  Someone mentioned back on page 1 or 2 that the rating system will need to include a rating for mission givers.  So you should end up with two ratings from players.  I would even like to see a (#completed_successfully/#created) somewhere that is not touched by players, and one more (#completed_successfully/#taken) for the other side.  Just a basic counter, something to compare to the player rating, even if it is just a rolling "out of last 100 attempts" thing.

It's also possible that such activity falls under the exploiting game mechanics clause, and can result in punitive action when reported, along with a refund of some kind to the victim.  I think just adding to the reputation system would be less headache for everyone at the end of the day, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Letalis said:

It's also possible that such activity falls under the exploiting game mechanics clause, and can result in punitive action when reported, along with a refund of some kind to the victim.  I think just adding to the reputation system would be less headache for everyone at the end of the day, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

You mean like the creator of the mission should ensure the mission taker is able to glitch free access the delivery box in Dual Universe beta or the mission creator gets disciplinary actions against his account ? Yea that definitely works.

Yea and regarding that rating system, I have hmmmm 12 alts if I remember correctly, 2 of my friends have about 20 each. I think the other guys mentioned logging in to get the daily takes about 20min from all of the alts too so I think my rating will be high enough. No worries.

BTW, the title that can be edited by the "mission creator" is nice as well.

Can't wait to see "WTS StarDestroyer,  DM AnotherNonCreativeVoxelmancer#1234 on discord" missions for 1 quanta in reward and 1bil collateral.