[Discussion] DevBlog: The Mission System

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you do put up a test server for this and open it to everyone.    pushing to live new systems barely tested and/or tested by people who don't actually play the game like the average

I brought your concern to the team, and they shared their thoughts:   "Missions have a predetermined source and destination points, yes, but that's no different than any other flight from plane

If you want to just compare things back to other games, then Elite;Dangerous, No Mans Sky, Empyrion, Everspace and many more are just rip-offs from Eve. Of course some games will have similar featu

Posted Images

"As we ramp up for the next Dual Universe update"

right on queue

I was wondering where is the rest of the devblog as it seems it's incomplete 

So if I get his correct, the mission system wil take several patches to roll out, starting with hauling.. That begs the question, will NQ plan to actually have the mission system done by the time they "release" as it feels like this wil be something that gets shoved in, ticked off and then revisited sometime next year.

How will the scoring system work ?

My only concern...Point/Reward/Scoring system. How do you reward somebody knowing you can abuse the system since day 1 with alts, org alts, friend's alts, friend of friend alts, etc?!!?!

Scoring/Value system will have problems if with 1 account you can Create Missions and Vote multiple OTHER accounts on daily basis. How will the scoring system work ?

Overall, this is great news a mission system will potentially give players something to do but with the game as it is it may not be enough. 

I don't know about pirating missions. There is no pirating in this game just murder.  The combat mechanic is so horrible that basically once you've been targeted/scanned and your warp drive is reset, you are done.  The balance of risks is terrible you can lose weeks of work mining ore and getting a large hauler just to lose it to some guy who slapped some guns on a box.  On the other side, killing another ship is basically just getting into range and button pushing.  The only real purpose of "combat" in this game is basically just a harmless outlet for psychopaths.

8 minutes ago, Elitez said:

How will the scoring system work ?

My only concern...Point/Reward/Scoring system. How do you reward somebody knowing you can abuse the system since day 1 with alts, org alts, friend's alts, friend of friend alts, etc?!!?!

Scoring/Value system will have problems if with 1 account you can Create Missions and Vote multiple OTHER accounts on daily basis. How will the scoring system work ?

You have to participate in the mission to rate it, you can't just give somebody 5 stars without doing something.

Plus I imagine that word of mouth will spread of anyone abusing it, to be avoided.

8 minutes ago, FatRillos said:

So basically it's a cheap rip off of the eve contract system. Let's stop calling them missions. 

Many of us do this already. Without a game mechanic. It's called discord trade channel.

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

It's another half done copy of an EVE mechanic, yes.

If you want to just compare things back to other games, then Elite;Dangerous, No Mans Sky, Empyrion, Everspace and many more are just rip-offs from Eve.

Of course some games will have similar features to others. If the feature works for the game, then why not have it also? Seems like common sense to me.

As for half-done: Why would we want the exact same system that CCP uses for Eve, in DU? Do we have NPC space stations and such for the pre-set destinations? Also, player constructs usually consist of many cores, so would you list ALL the players cores in the game as pre-set destinations to choose from? Seems rather silly to me... I'm glad they are implementing a basic version and then tailoring it to DU's style that straight up copying another games setup.

Now, my question is if they will consider being able to create 'Loans' to players, so that you can help someone invest in something and they agree to pay it back (and maybe with interest) over time? Giving, say a construct they have or items as collateral...

2 minutes ago, CommanderLouiz said:

You have to participate in the mission to rate it, you can't just give somebody 5 stars without doing something.

Plus I imagine that word of mouth will spread of anyone abusing it, to be avoided.

Trading kills, trading scoring, trading anything...if mathetically you dont counter that scenario before it will be in game, people will abuse it. Its just a matter of time before before it can be SOLD and abused.

Would you like to buy 1 -  5bil collateral rewards in the 1st week? It wont be that hard. I create the mission with @Eleeteand you accept it. Than we fly around Safe zone for 2h :)

It is quite weird of an update (like it was any different, but that is no the point of this post).

If I understand correctly, mission creation and most importantly quantas, come from the players. So this means:

- no or little missions from Aphelia or any non-existing NPC organization

- no additional quantas generated in the system

- money to be going from larger players, who _usually_ belong to a larger corporation, so unless you straight up jump into it, you're likely to get breadcrumbs if any at all

So it does seem like a half-baked solution that will do nothing to majority, will most probably be exploited by pirates or exploiters and in the end there won't be any break from mining for anyone needing quantas for either industry, ships, ship building or anything alike.

I rate this devblog 1 only for the effort but inability to solve any pressing issues.

"The long-term goal is to enrich the Mission system with more mission types, starting with “taxi” missions, SoS, and later adding PvP and various other “formalizable” activities. For now, we’re introducing the Mission system with transport-type hauling missions. "

"(Please note that the UI for the Mission system is still in progress. The images below are samples of what it will look like.)"

Why release an unfinished mission system? This sounds great and all but would be nice if you would release it when its ready. This is the perfect example of something you release on a test server first, make tweaks and perfect, then release on the live server.

8 minutes ago, xplosivesheep said:

It is quite weird of an update (like it was any different, but that is no the point of this post).

If I understand correctly, mission creation and most importantly quantas, come from the players. So this means:

- no or little missions from Aphelia or any non-existing NPC organization

- no additional quantas generated in the system

- money to be going from larger players, who _usually_ belong to a larger corporation, so unless you straight up jump into it, you're likely to get breadcrumbs if any at all

So it does seem like a half-baked solution that will do nothing to majority, will most probably be exploited by pirates or exploiters and in the end there won't be any break from mining for anyone needing quantas for either industry, ships, ship building or anything alike.

I rate this devblog 1 only for the effort but inability to solve any pressing issues.

Have you logged in game and checked the mission and after you replied to it ? We already know there are/will be different npc missions from Ore needed to Elements needed to Aphelia demands 10.000 screws type of missions, as daily quests/missions, npc only.

Well it's a start but how can you add this without first adding one of the fundamental basic MMO components - a wallet/ bank account/ log of sales/prices/trends/etc, whatever you want to call it. I've been trying to sell on the markets and it is frankly a total pain in the ass. We need more info than 1000 peeps/bots want to buy 1 mil gold for 0.001 Quanta each! oh and you sold 10 adjusters (Where - fuck knows, was it your last stock? - your guess is as good as mine - you get the picture. We really should not need to resort to the writing pad in these days of the microchip.

Please guys - hire a game designer with experience in MMO's to provide the fundamental requirements!

44 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Don't forget to respond to the call to action at the end: Which do you anticipate doing the most: creating missions, doing missions, or pirating missions?

Looking forward to creating missions on a long term/strategic scale.
Will most likely have to fulfill a bunch of missions to not get left behind in the game's economy though.

2 minutes ago, Elitez said:

Have you logged in game and checked the mission and after you replied to it ? We already know there are/will be different npc missions from Ore needed to Elements needed to Aphelia demands 10.000 screws type of missions, as daily quests/missions, npc only.

It does not feel like a focus of the devblog and there is no actual data on how many those missions we will have or if they will be like bots: vanishing and scarce for the early planets etc. While it's not released, it is not clear if it is good at all but the the rhetoric of the announcement putting the creation and rating into the focus makes me believing the final result will be not benefiting players who tend to play solo or in smaller cozy groups.

49 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

You know what to do. :) Share your thoughts about today's DevBlog here!

Don't forget to respond to the call to action at the end: Which do you anticipate doing the most: creating missions, doing missions, or pirating missions?

I've no idea till I see it