Quality of Life improvments

Universum01

This is a list of improvements that can be coded in under an hour, the little annoyances that are easy to fix that degrade the experience.

Looking for feedback on what's good, what's bad, and things to add. Iv numbered them to make it easier to show what you like/dislike.

Once we have a decent list I can post on upvote https://upvote.dualuniverse.game/

Market:
1.) Buy to inventory: Bought items go into your active container if there is room. Skips unnecessarily transferring from market container to inventory.
2.) Sorting: Allow market orders to be sorted by several columns at once. (Ex closest distance and lowest price sorted in the order they are clicked)
3.) Default Sorting: Market orders are default sorted by, closest distance, then lowest price, then largest quantity.
4.) Searching: When searching a word like Atmo for example, have anything that starts with Atmo in the first word first, then anything with Atmo in the second word second, and so on. So if i search for Atmo, Advanced Engines should not be the first thing that comes up.
5.) Keep scroll position: When looking through items and you click on one then go back to the list, have it return you to where you were on the list, currently it resets you to the top of the list. 
6.) Quick Sell from linked container: Right now if i want to quick sell something i have to drag it from my linked container to my nano, reopen the market and sell it a little at a time.
7.) Right click, inspect item: In the market window allow us to right click and inspect an item to see its details without having to leave the list.
8.) Buy all for BPs: An option to buy everything needed for a blueprint from the market. This would also add to the market as sellers can now play the market for people buying all. This one is a little more Dev intensive and im iffy on having it on this list.
9.) Allow the market window to be moved around.
10.) When buying remotely you still get a warning about market items in container. A simple if player is not within 50m of a market don't show the window.

11.) A checkbox for blueprints when searching, so they do or do not showup when your searching. Have the checkbox remember its position of checked or not checked in-between client loads/logins. Most of the time your searching, its not for blueprints and they tend to just clutter the search.

Items:
100.) Right click, view on market: Not just for inventory items but on the inspect window as well.

101.) Shift click items: Much like you can do in OS's,  click one item, then shift click another lower in the list and it selects all items in-between. Would be a godsend for inventory transferring.

102.) When transferring items to a container that does not have enough space, by default round off to the nearest digit, so players don't end up with 0.47976249.. ect of an item in their inventory.
103.) Crafting an item in the nano crafter will auto craft anything that's required.(EX: Crafting a Surrogate VR Station also ques the items not in your inventory like Basic screen, Basic Processor, ect)
104.) When nano-crafted items do not have all the required material, skip to the next craftable item in the nanocrafting que.

105.) Give the option to clear the notification. This also helps server and client performance when noticed get into the thousands.

106.) Have notifications only show new ones by default.

Scanning:
200.) Having to freeze scanning ships: You need to freeze your ship or scanning can get aborted. You can be completely still and scanning will get aborted. I think giving scanning a little more margin on moving should fix this, that the player has to move a few meters from scan start location.

Server:
300.) Give a countdown for server restarts, a 15, 5, and 1 minute notices when the server is restarting, to allow people to get into a safe position.

Iv been playing for 2 weeks and every time I hit one of these items it degrades the experience and they add up over time.

All of these are good points, and would be a straight improvement across the board Indeed. I especially yearn for the default and multi-sorting points, so many clicks gone into the ether.
#9 would be probably a massive feature in comparison, considering none of the large windows are actually movable/resizeable yet. 

21 minutes ago, Megaddd said:

All of these are good points, and would be a straight improvement across the board Indeed. I especially yearn for the default and multi-sorting points, so many clicks gone into the ether.
#9 would be probably a massive feature in comparison, considering none of the large windows are actually movable/resizeable yet. 

Resizing, that's not an hour job, that's actually quite large depending on how its coded as you have to make sure everything scales correctly with resizing.

#9, the inspect window is movable, so the same code should be-able to be easily used on other windows.
Even simply adding the move bar to the window would be a fast job and an improvement, we don't need anything fancy right now.

(Note added idea #101)

111111111.thumb.png.2cdfcc7ebfedbe8ed2802ab933e51bb1.png

3 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

I'd really love a little note telling me that I've already bought that schematic and how many I have. I'm trying to take note of what I buy but I'm starting to have the impression that my xs container full of doubles is trying to tell me something.

Something like this?

12345.png

Just now, NoRezervationz said:

Why in active container? Across all containers/equipment would be optimal.

Personally I'm not sure I would love that system, I don't really want to know about stuff on other planets.

However from a programming standpoint, thats not an hour job by any means, you would have to define what's "Your" container with ORGs and Tokens and everything. Plus pulling not only the containers inventories across the entire server but also all the inventories for all equipment, it would take days to code sometime like that sadly.

58 minutes ago, Universum01 said:

Personally I'm not sure I would love that system, I don't really want to know about stuff on other planets.

However from a programming standpoint, thats not an hour job by any means, you would have to define what's "Your" container with ORGs and Tokens and everything. Plus pulling not only the containers inventories across the entire server but also all the inventories for all equipment, it would take days to code sometime like that sadly.

Mh I wasn't thinking about those "little" details, as a solo I was only considering 1 factory.

Also the act of selling/trading the schematics would mess everything up as it should keep track of what you've sold too.

"Iv been playing for 2 weeks and every time I hit one of these items it degrades the experience and they add up over time."

I will surprised if you continue this game after your subscription falls off.  Many of us have been talking about sustainment, and no one is listing.  The game is not welcoming.  It is full of frustration.  Basics are not even implemented (I was baffled, confused, upset, and more confused when I realized shift-click wasn't in the game).  People will come to play and then leave.  The game does not get better, it gets worse.  

Have fun while you can, don't plan on putting any passion into this game.  If your soloing, you will eventually realize you are not the target audience.  The game, and most of the other players, do not want you in the game.  They don't understand sustainment and would rather have an all out pvp brawl-space-building game.  Not going to happen.  There are 2 more mass exodus coming, good luck.

6 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

"Iv been playing for 2 weeks and every time I hit one of these items it degrades the experience and they add up over time."

I will surprised if you continue this game after your subscription falls off.  Many of us have been talking about sustainment, and no one is listing.  The game is not welcoming.  It is full of frustration.  Basics are not even implemented (I was baffled, confused, upset, and more confused when I realized shift-click wasn't in the game).  People will come to play and then leave.  The game does not get better, it gets worse.  

Have fun while you can, don't plan on putting any passion into this game.  If your soloing, you will eventually realize you are not the target audience.  The game, and most of the other players, do not want you in the game.  They don't understand sustainment and would rather have an all out pvp brawl-space-building game.  Not going to happen.  There are 2 more mass exodus coming, good luck.

I plan to play for several years, the game shows alot of promise. At any rate this isn't the topic for venting. Please keep the posts related to Quality of life improvements.

2 hours ago, Universum01 said:

I plan to play for several years, the game shows alot of promise. At any rate this isn't the topic for venting. Please keep the posts related to Quality of life improvements.

im positive im going to vent wherever I want.  Stop trying to police your posts.  This game in its current trajectory wont be around for years to come.

15 hours ago, Universum01 said:

7.) Right click, inspect item: In the market window allow us to right click and inspect an item to see its details without having to leave the list.

you can see the details of the item in the topmost part of the market window (expand the details by clicking on the "arrow")

Not sure were to put it.

- make the notifications setting persistent -- or better let me clear the notifications

It takes 2-3 min after each login to set the notifications back to 'last 24h' - the clients stops to respond for that time if you hit the notification tab with lots of entries.

Added:

103.)
104.)
105.)

103.) Crafting an item in the nano crafter will auto craft anything that's required.
104.) When nano-crafted items do not have all the required material, skip to the next craftable item in the nanocrafting que.

105.) Give the option to clear the notification. This also helps server and client performance when noticed get into the thousands.

9 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

This is a fantastic compilation of QOL suggestions.

It is, quite a nice collection of suggestions that have been posted on by a good many of us over the past 2+ years..

There is really nothing here that has not been talked about, at least in the community, before..

8 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

Or add something like "show new notifications only" as default.

I like it, added 106.)

106.) Have notifications only show new ones by default.

Additionally added 11.) for Market

11.) A checkbox for blueprints when searching, so they do or do not showup when your searching. Have the checkbox remember its position of checked or not checked in-between client loads/logins. Most of the time your searching, its not for blueprints and they tend to just clutter the search.

3 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

This is a fantastic compilation of QOL suggestions. I'll pass this along. :) Feel free to go ahead with your og plan to post to Upvote as well.

Thanks! As a programmer myself the idea was changes that could be implemented with little coding effort that would greatly improve player experience. Ill be posting to UpVote as soon as no one has any feedback to add to the list for several days!
Ill probably break it down into several sections and post as a few UpVotes.

In my daily life:

• I need the maneuver tool back. I dont care if it uses energy/stamina to move things but the CD dont work for me at all.
  • I just need a reliable vendor type system on top of the trading and market system to where you can turn a player into an independent market person that you can search for who is selling what with a buy/sell ui interface similar to how trades work but with a more traditional npc vendor flow to where its like I am selling whats in my ship but at the same time I am buying X too to where you can click to do a market lookup for they type of item you want to buy and the quantity/price and be done with it. The vending machines seem more for stores than market trading and there needs to be a more streamlined approach that does not require tons more elements to be sitting ina market to do the same thing unless you are running a player market with dynamic stores and I think dispensers and things should be restricted to static cores only to free up the markets.
  • Some kind of auto voxel/scrap repair AI droid pet that heals 1 part at a time like a normal player within a certain proximity of the ship would free up tons more time instead of the rare chance I actually crash.
  • Having NPCs which act like a player that you can have follow you around or are tied to the talent system that perform tasks like a player would with flying in formation, mining, piloting, industry, sentry, AA base gunners, gunners, and all the positions players dont want to do or you can never expect to fill the role with a sort of henchment type small+ group you have to pay each week based on each skill learned or qued up along with a merc hiring system to lend players your merc for a mission but each player has to level them up from scratch quing skills like a player.
  • More built in entertainment features or elements designed to add more fun or interaction to the game rather than static cores only meant for industry.
  • More ways to get random bonus amounts of ore rather than just 4kl, 4kl, 4kl and just not getting enough but being forced to hunt non stop tiny nodes needs to be broken up with something a little more interesting than just digging tunnels.
  • Most items need more base stats added to slightly dial back the parts cree or having modular elements to allow players to build asthetically ships that dont require an insane amount of wings or parts that dont look good vs modular parts that are more forgiving and customizable but also dialing back some of the weight of voxels through talents to make voxelmancy more of a ship requirement for defense or just a lighter hull metal weight if you just want to make it a non functional look vs an armored defense orieented ship.
  • Lack of any market mobility due to oversaturation and parts making minimal gains and a market in general that is dominated by megaorgs with no room for anyone else. I really wish people had a finite amount they could list in any market per day to leave room for other people to be able to list and make money too but enough to sell a good amount and not be able to monopolize any given area without multiple people. I want industry to work for me but as it stands unless you cant really make much money unless you have all the ore.
  • Permissions that work when you want to share access to an element with someone without having to set up a full access polocy that sometimes requires everything but pretty much giving them the token to be able to do something simple.
  • Making antigravity faster in the ascent process through parts creep of some kind to increase the speed to negate the need to build insanely high pedistals or space stations.
  • Lack of group system or a group leader being able to set formations around a central point that allows all pilots in the group to fly at the same speed but at the same time break away from a formation if they want. Where you can move a bit within the formation but if you stray too far it will ask if you want to break formation.
  • Lack of being able to define rulesets or team mechanics in a territory to allow for scrims or practice combat or prefrences like allowing one team to damage another or restricted airspace actually being able to shoot at people in your land. Or other dueling or race type mechanics for entertainment or priority if you want to allow ramming in your tile(s) to where a large ship will get destroyed running into a bigger ship or any number of things missing from owning a tile.
  • Being able to build anywhere on your land with voxels independent of being bound to a static core which is just meant to fill a set defined function of industry, commerce, residential, markets, defense, showrooms, etc where you want to use elements that have a functional purpose. You should be able to drop voxels anywhere to build up more interesting tiles without needing to drop 75+ cores. Or that Teravoxels should be where all the brick textures and earth based textures that are non building mats should be located to where you just turn tons of sand or whatever into more teravoxel pallets.
  • Or having other teravoxel functionality for squares, cylanders, and a chisel tool for fine detail terrain work.
  • Nature type voxels which have plant type textures or allow for random branches or leaves to stick out of it in a few different textures so we could make trees or bushes or bonzai trees etc. All we need is the dead voxels bases or trunks to really make places look more lively. The nature aspect in this game is quite lacking.
  • I could really use a legit jeckpack that uses actual fuel as a tool that can use kergon, nitron, or rocket fuel depending on the purpose or what fuel is equipped.
  • I could also really use a glding tool like a squirrel suit for a lot of things or jumping off a ship close to a market and gliding down with perhaps a rudimentary brake that has danger involved landing as a tradeoff but uses no fuel.
  • I could also really use more ground themed vehicle elements or wheels/treads and various impliments or some kind of ship like mech walking vehicle. Not everything needs to fly.
  • I could also really use some disposable type items that require no core or anything to be placed down like some kind of train track for mining that has a couple different track pieces or connectors that are meant to be lost if someone comes across it as there is no real owner and it can be used outside a territory. But tracks also have use for a monorail with some elements for automatic stop points. But disposable elements could also be lanterns or other luminescent items or structural beams you can place to lessen the chance of earthwuakes. Or just other random things you can put down if you wanted to others could come across later and admire.
  • Player held weapons and turrets if not full auto turrets and AA guns and ship mounted defense systems.

That would make my QoL a lot better.

But I would also like to see some kind of loyalty system for people who actually play the game rather than not playing and Queing up and being the same as everyone else who actually plays when they come back.

I think for those who actually play the game there needs to be a loyalty system or daily log in perk system that is designed to reward players for playing rather than the measly 150k ubi. I think NQ should consider makign each day you log in come with somekind of reward on top of the 150k by how many actual subsiquent days you keep logging in.

For example if you log in for a month straight your 150k universal basic income becomes T2 and you make 300k. Each consequtive month adds another 150K up to T5 or five straight months and gain 750K per day on the house for your loyalty.

But not only that I think NQ should also have 5 Tiers of some kind of exclusive ship set that takes 30d to get all the parts and blueprint to make a ship. Sounds kinda dumb in that light but if each month NQ had some kind of basic item ship with custom colors or textures other than the usual drab color schemes or gave out custom skins baked into that item for the month that there was a finite pool of would make people play to get them. Not only that but the parts of the month could have tiny deviations in baked in stats variants in additon to the colors too if they wanted to go that route. NQ could also do a XS(T1), S(T2), M(T3), L(T4), and XL(T5) types of skins, ships, items, exclusive elements, and anything else. It does not need to necessarily be a ship.

But for the most part it could be how they introduce items for testing before they go live in small amounts that only the most loyal people get to try.