NQ DO SOMETHING ABOUT SHIPS PART 2 + DESIGN INFO and BUYER WARNING

GarbageKnight

So i have had even more time doing Voxelmancy, and building ships. Here is the rundown in some detail.

SHIP 1 - NAME : SCARAB

so i made a M core hauler,  version one, giant Hexagon with 10 L containers, Anti Gravity, Lua scripts,  had 120 Airbrakes L, 120 Retro rockets L,  30 Basic Atmos L , 2 XL Space Engines, 4 L ATMOS tanks, 4 L space tanks, 30 Large Vertical thusters. it could haul 3.5 Kilo Tons, and fully loaded weight was 7 KT.  but it could fly, but it was like a ugly brick, with a massive cross section. flying it loaded or unloaded was annoying. 

VERSION 2 - height of one large container, Width of 1 large container: CROSS SECTION REDUCTION SUCESS.

SCARAB 2.0 - had 2 large containers, 50 Large Airbrakes, 40 Retro Rockets Large, 6 large engines, 2 large stabilizers,  2 large space engines, 6 large Vertical thrusters,  2 M fuel tanks atmos, and 1 Large space tank WARP DRIVE.  could not even break atmosphere LOADED, had to increase to 10 Large engines making it less eye appealing. 

But loaded or unloaded due to the VERY SMALL cross section, it flew like a FIGHTER JET.  could do a full 180 degree turn, dead stop from 3000kmph,  in half a hex, and fly in the opposite direction.  flew so fast in atmosphere speeds of up to 1400 kmph would have to slow down not to burn up just flying regular.  FLYS AMAZING HAULS FULLY LOADED HEMATITE, STOPS ON A DIME, but needs more than 2 containers. banks, pitches and yaws, like a FIGHTER JET....best ship i ever set foot in to date. AND SEVERAL HAPPY CUSTOMERS WITH THIS VERSION....

VERSION 3 - not built but drawn up and getting ready for build.

will now design around engines height and width. keeping to same delta wing voxelmancy shape. to ensure a sleeker look. will increase cross section by  double or 2 large containers length on its X axis, and Height by half a L container. 

SHIP 2 - PALADIN - FLYS GREAT - still did not design around engines so her butt is fat... looks like a 1950s  space rocket, meets modern space ship, meets WARHAMMER. lots of glow light show... wish i t would let me upload a pic but file to big.

18 large engins, Anti Gravity, not lua scripted yet,  cross section goes fully across Medium core, but less than half the height.... 8 Large containers. breaks for day, retros for day, but well hidden in the voxels, Medium, and small wings for that 1950s feel and shape. nice delta curves, and engine bays, hours spent designing. 

ALREADY HAVE A BUYER FOR 75 MILLION  to TOKENIZE it- if interested Blueprints are 15 million, will be setting up a dispenser at market 16. 

BUT WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

is that NQ needs to maybe make it where you can set the construct to PvE, so that you can then stack elements, but only 2 at a time, to sleek up ships. since increasing power, and other things can be abused. 

that way if 20 engines are needed to ensure the ship can fly fully loaded. then you can stack them in the space of 10 engines.  ( there is a way to glitch elements into each other, but i do not know how to do it, but i have already seen it, on ships parked at ZENITH, and BLACK SUN. not owned by either or the corps, maybe memebers, maybe just people who left their ships there not sure, dont care? but i sure want to know how to do it...LOL

SO HOW SHOULD YOU DESIGN - as a beginner.

1 LARGE CONTAINER FULL OF HEMATITE

4 large engines, 4 large Vertical thrusters, or Hover pads, 10 MINIUM Large Air breaks, 10 MINIMUM Large Retro rockets, and  8 Medium Ailerons 16 large adjustors.  < with no piolet skills this will Leave atmosphere loaded with HEMATITE, fly in space, hover nicely,  will stop on command, will land very softly. 

WITH LV 3 skills,  2 Large Engins, 2 Large Vertical thrusters or hovers, 6 Medium Ailerons,  8 Large adjustors....and JUST KEEP THE BREAKS WHERE THEY ARE...BREAKS ARE YOUR FRIEND...never can have enough BREAKS...  HOW MANY BREAKS TO USE? YES....

SKILLS NEEDED to improve

Vertical Thrust skills,

hover skills

Aileron skills

Container Skills - reduces weight and increases hold size.

Engine Skills

Space Skills 

Ajustor Skills

FULE TANKS SKILL WONT KILL YOU, to again increase efficiency, reduce weight, and increase capacity of tank. 

all these can be found under PIOLT SKILLS with the EXCEPTION of the CONTAINER SKILLS.

BEST VOXELS to use for ships

CARBON - anything lowest weight. 22 kg per vox. 

PLASTIC - 27.63 kg per vox

ALUMINIUM - 27 kg per vox

CARBON FIBER.  27 kg per vox

to help reduce voxel weight, you can use glass as a filler, at it has a 162 kg weight difference from the same space taken from voxels.  < VERY WEAK ELEMENT drop ship to hard, breaks, fart wrong breaks. advantage in PvP you can walk on it,  and not fall though all the holes in your voxels. after your ship is blow to pieces. 

WARNING

If you see a really pretty ship, and you are just drooling over it, look at it, how many containers, versus how many engines, adjustors, wings and ailerons,  IS THE SHIP PRETTY, AND CAN HAUL FULLY LOADED, or IS THE SHIP JUST PRETTY...but the first time you fill her to max capacity, will she slap into the ground and cost you everything in repair bills.. 

Market 16 right now has 2 ships that are VERY PRETTY nicely done voxels...well layed out, all kinds of beauty.... but even with LVL 5 pilot skills, will FLY LIKE A TURD SHAPED LIKE A BRICK... has 6 large engins for 8 Large containers...2 large space engines...below minimum breaks, air and retro, below min adjustors, and wings, and ailerons....so buy it, and beware....looks great, but that things is not going to fly for crap when loaded.  it might fly fine at 40% or less load.  but at that point it is wasting weight on container space you cant use. well you can use, but end up wrecking the ship becasue you did. 

I think they just need to tweak the numbers on higher rarity ship parts so that we can build pretty designs with fewer parts, and finish implementing power systems for balancing them for PVP. But in the end, super-freighters will always look like giant bricks, and that's how they would look in the real world, just look at 16-wheelers and cargo ships.

1 hour ago, Jaface said:

I think they just need to tweak the numbers on higher rarity ship parts so that we can build pretty designs with fewer parts, and finish implementing power systems for balancing them for PVP. But in the end, super-freighters will always look like giant bricks, and that's how they would look in the real world, just look at 16-wheelers and cargo ships.

After illyria, my Capital Ship (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br1huSnGwJE), I am building a "super freighter" - but also not like a giant brick. Illyria is also a massive L-Core Ship but is slick. I hate giant bricks. Even a Freighter can have some esthetics applied to it.

I think as a beginner one should learn how to pilot instead of getting into the habit of compensating by overdoing it with elements.

What I see a lot of are ships that are on an undersized core and end up using most of the core space with lots of large elements so they end up filling the space and become square shaped. Maybe useful that way but not pretty and not even necessarily efficient. 

I design all my ships to max out the length of a build cube but generally to be as slender as is physically possible for maximum efficiency and just to make them look... unique, shall we say... I have a small core hover seat vtol ship that is 31m long but only about 2x2 m cross section and has 10 XS containers in a row. With 3 x S lateral and 8 vertical S atmos it can hit 1800kph and not burn up and cruise at 5% thrust due to its insanely small cross section. 

sometimes people should try to find a design language they like and stick with it. If not, we all just end up flying borg cubes or Elite Lakon  T7s. 

FWIW, It’s called the SkySausage.

On 1/26/2021 at 10:49 AM, Megaddd said:

I think what you're saying is that they need to fix element stacking, not add legitimate ways to do it.

no i mean LEGIT let PvE be a selection on the core, and it allows you to over lap 2 elements. but only 2.   since it is a glitch people have somehow figured out. 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:22 AM, Jaface said:

I like this idea, a really rare large engine, with  Good fuel economy, high speed, and thrust like a maneuver.  and each one is equal to 2 large military and 1 maneuver engines. mixed....

22 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

I design all my ships to max out the length of a build cube but generally to be as slender as is physically possible for maximum efficiency and just to make them look... unique, shall we say... I have a small core hover seat vtol ship that is 31m long but only about 2x2 m cross section and has 10 XS containers in a row. With 3 x S lateral and 8 vertical S atmos it can hit 1800kph and not burn up and cruise at 5% thrust due to its insanely small cross section. 

sometimes people should try to find a design language they like and stick with it. If not, we all just end up flying borg cubes or Elite Lakon  T7s. 

FWIW, It’s called the SkySausage.

I did this with one of mine.  basically a tube with wings...but with style, looks like a some stealth military, with scales on it. named the Scarab, best selling ship in my fleet. and every customer i get on that one LOVES IT, and wants me to build a bigger one for them. so i am working on the XL model... little wider, 2 more large containers. it is so compact to fuel it up, or move things you have to use sideways elevators to get around in it. and it comes warp ready, or with a warp drive installed buyer preference.

1 hour ago, Haunty said:

I think as a beginner one should learn how to pilot instead of getting into the habit of compensating by overdoing it with elements.

What I see a lot of are ships that are on an undersized core and end up using most of the core space with lots of large elements so they end up filling the space and become square shaped. Maybe useful that way but not pretty and not even necessarily efficient. 

I THINK AS A BEGINNER, one should not have to dig in the F&&KING DIRT for months to have some fun. and i have not met a SINGLE ALPHA player that tells me, ah you know 10 or 12 break will do ya...they always tell me YES, or  N+1....or X+1... 

personally i really like being able to hit CTRL , and my ship actually  stops.....not glides 1-20 KM past the target, and  slaps its fully loaded ass into whatever is in front of it, or below it...

but after i sell my next PALADIN...yeah sold one 90 million BTW... i am going to stop putting more than 6 large containers on M cores. Unless it is for AGG unloading... < market ORE sale, or items manufactured sales. cause 10 containers is just a lot of weight to design anything nice for. the PALADIN only has 8 containers, and its ass to fat for me, and im all about a thick booty..but that is just to much to keep its sleek 1950 retro space age feel.. so it took longer to do it right...to compensate for the BIG ASS. 

so i figure 180 million Quanta, should design a great L core hauler. 

1 hour ago, GarbageKnight said:

I THINK AS A BEGINNER, one should not have to dig in the F&&KING DIRT for months to have some fun

I returned with nothing and built a flying ship within a week of a few hours here and there.   Not happy that I need to buy space fuel from the markets, but everything else was nano-craftable.   Of course for a small ship (and I have experience building small ships which made it easier).   If I wanted to haul ore (which I don't), then would need the market for the larger components (but with the $150K per day, even that is not a big deal).   As a causal solo player, the only thing to do with to play around with various small ship designs and LUA scripts (assuming I want to avoid mining).    At this point, thinking of just flying to the sun with the smallest ship I could make, even if it takes six+ months of flight.

11 hours ago, SirKent said:

At this point, thinking of just flying to the sun with the smallest ship I could make, even if it takes six+ months of flight.

I also wanted to do this ... but I think the sun is not really "real" -- i.e. it does not exist as an object in space - just as a light in the "sky map" ... which of course is another sad thing in the game.

16 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

but I think the sun is not really "real"

Yep, just discovered this.   And that it moves around.   Would be neat to get a burn up near the sun achievement.    Oh well, guess I'll just fly into the deep space for a few months...

2 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

My advice, build normal ships and dont try and haul so much stuff.  Otherwise you are probably making a load of ships that will be obsolete.

Also piloting / handling skills make all the difference

I'll have to double agree on that, +25%/10% from maxing some of those skills WILL make a big difference. Just piloting skills and not placement, you can hit +35% thrust to all atmo engines.

1 hour ago, Haku0814 said:

I'll have to double agree on that, +25%/10% from maxing some of those skills WILL make a big difference. Just piloting skills and not placement, you can hit +35% thrust to all atmo engines.

Piloting talents are all mandatory imho, I'm flying with everything at lvl4 (including putdowns) and 5days away to max the container mass reduction talent, I've seen my ship change quite a lot over the time, I remember struggling to re-enter the atmosphere with 500t cargo when I first built it, now I can go in and out of alioth with 1kt no problem, and there's still room for improvement.

Still a bit skeptical about the fuel mass reduction tho, I should do some calculations to see if it's really worth the time.

2 hours ago, Fra119 said:

Piloting talents are all mandatory imho, I'm flying with everything at lvl4 (including putdowns) and 5days away to max the container mass reduction talent, I've seen my ship change quite a lot over the time, I remember struggling to re-enter the atmosphere with 500t cargo when I first built it, now I can go in and out of alioth with 1kt no problem, and there's still room for improvement.

Still a bit skeptical about the fuel mass reduction tho, I should do some calculations to see if it's really worth the time.

My best mate is a big ship seller and 80% of the people buying his ships turn up with max mining and ZERO piloting skills, he actually stopped trading full ships and switched to BP only because he was so pissed off with dealing with them.

Dunno about anyone else, but for me ship building is 20 mins placing all the elements and then days or weeks of honeycomb work to make her look how I want. Pilot talents and higher quality engines mean you don't need to stack hundreds in to make her function. But getting the honeycomb just how I want it, that can take longer than I would even use the ship for in the end! For me that's why this space lego game is so fun.

What I mean to say is, building a ship that you like the look of is not limited by the mechanics of the game. It is difficult and it takes time and effort and more than anything, practice.

GarbageKnight, send a picture to yourself or to a friend on discord and then copy the link. Discord also acts as a free image host:

dualuniverse_2021-01-27_09h06m14s.png?wi

6 hours ago, Haku0814 said:

I’m lvl 3 on pretty much all but working on engines breaks adjusters to 5 slowly

2 hours ago, Burble said:

Dunno about anyone else, but for me ship building is 20 mins placing all the elements and then days or weeks of honeycomb work to make her look how I want. Pilot talents and higher quality engines mean you don't need to stack hundreds in to make her function. But getting the honeycomb just how I want it, that can take longer than I would even use the ship for in the end! For me that's why this space lego game is so fun.

What I mean to say is, building a ship that you like the look of is not limited by the mechanics of the game. It is difficult and it takes time and effort and more than anything, practice.

GarbageKnight, send a picture to yourself or to a friend on discord and then copy the link. Discord also acts as a free image host:

dualuniverse_2021-01-27_09h06m14s.png?wi

I agree took me minutes to place stuff for my new lowest weight warp bike. It took a few days to get the elegant look without overload on weight. But got her to 59.5 tons with good controls and stopping power so you don’t burn up on reentry 

37 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

Just for the sake of knowledge, are those engines obstructed by the ship's body behind?

I have a ship with roughly the same shape and when I tried placing engines there they were obstructed.

nope, but only due to the design of the rear wing

unknown.png?width=918&height=517

Mh is It possible that for the container mass reduction to work you have to place items in the container yourself? Because I just came back from a mining trip and noticed that my cargo wasn't getting any reduction and I was mining directly in my linked container on the ship. When I unloaded everything and reloaded it gained the proper reduction.