Alpha invite

Derpzila

I love the fact that constructs in Starbase Alpha suffer stress-load from gravity and acceleration (yeah, I know, gravity IS acceleration) and you have to build your constructs to be able to absorb the stresses due to mass and thrust.
Very cool! Would put an end to those 1km tall single voxel towers on Alioth

1 hour ago, Musclethorpe said:

Is it correct that they use a hybrid P2P connection infrastructure, not unlike Elite: Dangerous? I will not play another game where some one can just nope out of a fight by "pulling the plug".

I'm not quite sure I understand the second part of the question, but I'll try to answer you because I've been in the alpha since last June:

I got a vague and short answer to this from the developers when I asked about a p2p topic for a friend. The clients exchange over a certain distance. There is no server you can ping, or at least that tells you. And some data is verified via servers. What exactly is supposed to be different about Elite Dangerous, I don't know. I don't think they wanted to be more specific, because it's also about security, because p2p is known as easily exploitable.

The second part of the question is that you can build your own ship. You are not the ship like in Elite Dangerous. You have Ship vs Ship, Ship vs Avatar, Avatar vs Avatar.

So if you have a disconnect, log off or something like that, your ship remains in the world. People can shoot it, raid it, demolish it. 

I've rarely had so much fun when I raided a bigger ship with a shotgun and a few people. And the regular events in the alpha, which are broadcast on Twitch by the developers, also give an impression of what you can expect.

34 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

The second part of the question is that you can build your own ship. You are not the ship like in Elite Dangerous. You have Ship vs Ship, Ship vs Avatar, Avatar vs Avatar.

So if you have a disconnect, log off or something like that, your ship remains in the world. People can shoot it, raid it, demolish it. 

This answers my question, thank you. In Elite: Dangerous, as you said you are the ship, so when you log out/alt-F4/disconnect your ship simply vanishes, saving you from the danger of losing any assets. As I am to understand, being purely P2P, E:D has no way to continue simulating any asset about the player. I cannot and will not go back to that type of play.

P2P is just a broad term for decentralized data distribution. But one of the fundamental principles for P2P networks, is to try and maintained data integrity regardless of one or more clients being disconnected. So the Elite behavior can be seen as atypical for a P2P network.

Elite dangerous P2P has no/ineffective sanity checking on the client data. 

there have been cases of ships sitting at 1% shields even while being bombarded by space stations and Corvettes flying faster than medium fighters such as the Fer de Lance.  

then of course pvpers’ most hated foes, the combat loggers. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Moving from a beta game to a PRE alpha game.  What could go wrong?

According to this definition, one would not be allowed to play Early Access games that have not yet reached the beta stage. Too bad. I had so much fun with Minecraft when I bought it back in 2010 when it was in the alpha version. Or Factorio... The poor fun 1000 hours I'm not allowed to have.

No, but seriously. Except for the fact that the company behind it has already published several games, in the worst case you might even like it.

You like cable management in the ship? Power management? Want to do some programming? Flamethrowers, rocket launchers, miniguns and other avatar weapons are your thing? All examples that are already in the game.  

At least your "blockade" sounds more fun in this game. Less hate, more love Johnny. That's a healthier way to live.

6 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

According to this definition, one would not be allowed to play Early Access games that have not yet reached the beta stage. Too bad. I had so much fun with Minecraft when I bought it back in 2010 when it was in the alpha version. Or Factorio... The poor fun 1000 hours I'm not allowed to have.

Exactly this.

Im not into building games at all and never played factorio ir Minecraft or that stuff but for some reason I picked up dyson sphere program a few days ago which is in early access rn. And guess what, all the basic funcionality is in the game right from the start and I love it so far, sitting at 60h and rising.

When compared to NQs labeling that game might as well be at release rn and not in early access. Go figure

DU is obviously pushed via early-acess things ultra-agressivly (to level of audacity rarely seen before): current alpha was tech demo, current beta start is early alpha and release likely be what normal people call... early beta. Its not even step behind, but more like 1,5.

Technical they just too slow to progress.

Politicaly reason I think, that JC too much holycowing on idea of "player-made content". Granted, some most addicted fanbois and voxel-lua nerds are perfectly busy and happy, but they are minority, while majority stuggling (who are not yet voted with feet) to keep long-term interest in game beyond initial 1-2-3 m of freshness affect. 

It is well known that the NQ 'beta' release was forced, mostly likely by the investors. A do or die so to speak.

But that is not what is troubling me. The lack of actual progress in the game, especially during alpha but also now after 'release' is much more worrying.

If you look at for example the dev videos for Starbase on youtube, there is a steady stream of actual progress at frequent intervals. NQ on the other hand will now and then do some sporadic PR push, and then stay quiet until the next big patch that most likely breaks the game in some fundamental way.