NQ Your lack of action regarding the schematic fiasco is disturbing

bleakcon

I get what you're saying @Artaleon and frankly, a lot of the discontent here is because of what you describe. You and anyone else should be able to do your thing and play the game the  way you see it without wondering if and when someone may be able to take advantage of a mistake, which can and will happen, and get away with it.

NQ not acting on this now as they did means they will not act on it again in the future and that undermines the game as a whole. That is a point some who seem to not be too bothered do not understand and that is why those that do get it are upset. It may not be the massive impact now, but what will happen next time, how will this affect the game going forward when some players can amass so much wealth without ever having to actually put in any effort. These players could pretty much sabotage the markets and frustrate the economy with the funds they are allowed to keep. Not saying they ever will, but it is NQ's responsibility to see to it that something like that would not be possible and that is what they are not doing.

Unfortunately it is also clear that NQ does not understand this themselves and that may well be the most worrisome fact to come out of all this.

7 hours ago, blazemonger said:

I get what you're saying @Artaleon and frankly, a lot of the discontent here is because of what you describe. You and anyone else should be able to do your thing and play the game the  way you see it without wondering if and when someone may be able to take advantage of a mistake, which can and will happen, and get away with it.

NQ not acting on this now as they did means they will not act on it again in the future and that undermines the game as a whole. That is a point some who seem to not be too bothered do not understand and that is why those that do get it are upset. It may not be the massive impact now, but what will happen next time, how will this affect the game going forward when some players can amass so much wealth without ever having to actually put in any effort. These players could pretty much sabotage the markets and frustrate the economy with the funds they are allowed to keep. Not saying they ever will, but it is NQ's responsibility to see to it that something like that would not be possible and that is what they are not doing.

Unfortunately it is also clear that NQ does not understand this themselves and that may wel be the most worrisome fact to come out of all this.

I agree NQ does not understand or care about players feedback, look on the forums people NOT ONE REPLY IN WEEKS to any forum post.  Yes they say voice your opinions in forums.???  WHY they dont bother responding to more and more negative feedback, nor will they even address it. 

8 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Unfortunately it is also clear that NQ does not understand this themselves and that may well be the most worrisome fact to come out of all this.

The devs act on things they consider important.   They are not acting on economic exploits/bugs/mistakes as a general rule of thumb.

This pretty much means that the devs are acknowledging they don't have any plans to be an EVE style economic empire building game any time soon. 

11 hours ago, qwertyboom said:

I agree NQ does not understand or care about players feedback, look on the forums people NOT ONE REPLY IN WEEKS to any forum post.  Yes they say voice your opinions in forums.???  WHY they dont bother responding to more and more negative feedback, nor will they even address it. 

In fact, in the darkest latest hours of the night, I sometimes wonder if any of the devs are still actually there or have we just been pissing into the wind all by our lonesomes for three days and they’ve all moved on to other projects...

Just kidding, folks... 

cue Vsauce music: Or am I?

NQ has moved on, they are oblivious or even worse do not care at all for what happens, how the community responds or how what they do impacts the game. That much is clear ..

All this means is that what happened last week Friday will happen again.. and again.. and again..

22 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

All this means is that what happened last week Friday will happen again.. and again.. and again..

In next episode: NQ roll asteroids hugely unbalanced with some browbusting cringe, like they all consist of mega-nodes of T4-T5, our usual suspects grab billions worth of ore... in hours or days, then NQ nerf asteroids for everyone else, but allow to keep initial "harvest", because its not that impactful, and they sorry for inconvenience.

The problem is, since NQ does not care, why should we? They do not care if the game gets damaged from their mistakes, they certainly do not care if anyone benefits from it to the effect of billions of quanta. Only when someone pretty much pulls their pants down will they instaban people.

0,24 will be where I make up my mind, if they manage to pull out a rabbit and produce a sensible and functional patch as well as show they can act like they care I may stick around.. If not I wil probably park my stuff on Sanctuary and let it go for the rest for the year while having some fun seeing what's left of the player base stumble along. I have already given up my responsibilities to others in game so they can make arrangement with me not being involved and I have put plans to get some interesting stuff going with a community of a couple thousand people on hold until NQ shows they are able to behave like a game dev who cares and protects their game.

A good many will rejoice no doubt.. I'll just move on and see where the train wreck ends..

But who knows, maybe 0.24 is the patch that actually restores my faith in the ability of NQ to actually make this game work. Although I expect that is pretty much similar to "maybe this year will be the year where Linux takes over the desktop market".

and no, you can't have my stuff.

20 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

The problem is, since NQ does not care, why should we? They do not care if the game gets damaged from their mistakes, they certainly do not care if anyone benefits from it to the effect of billions of quanta.

And that is why a wipe is needed to undo the damage done to the game after the game has been developed to a playable quality. The problem is they will not wipe because they cannot do so without hurting their reputation. They already released the game as "early access" with a paid subscription, not a paid crowdfunded development test. So, they cannot wipe. It would be dishonorable.   

They placed themselves in this situation or perhaps they have already ran out of money to have ended up in this situation? 

If they can't wipe, and if they can't wipe the talent--as it is obsolete and bugged--then there is nothing else I can do but move on. 

The game has a lot of potential and it still do, but it means nothing if they will not materialize, and it seems that it cannot! 

5 hours ago, Eternal said:

And that is why a wipe is needed to undo the damage done to the game after the game has been developed to a playable quality.

For any game development that follows the generally understood best practice, that would certainly be the expectation. NQ has a very twisted and dare I say paranoid way of thinking which prevents them for making sensible and logical design and development choices as well as makes them "promise" things that they should be well aware go against everything logical in this context.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

For any game development that follows the generally understood best practice, that would certainly be the expectation. NQ has a very twisted and dare I say paranoid way of thinking which prevents them for making sensible and logical design and development choices as well as makes them "promise" things that they should be well aware go against everything logical in this context.

I think its, contrary, quite logical and linear. Root cause of this approch, that this critical thing to keep at least some of player base reasonably loyal to NQ. 

As we seen during week one (when wipe question was arised), some "respectable leaders of big orgs" are openly (and quite hystericly) blackmailed NQ with mass, organized quiting of their flocks and even more cringly reactions, fearing to loose their dodgy aquired stuff.

Another category of long-term favorites -- all sorts of landmark-style nerds (I'm saying it in good sense), but, to be honest, they care more about their containers contents and voxels, at best some new decorative element, then overall game (it can totaly burn for all they care). They obviously more meek in rioting, then our big stars, but if wiped, will give NQ hell for disturbing of their creative process for reasons mostly alien to them.

I think its bet safe to assume, that JC obviously likes building aspect of game (to have something to show off) and still harbours dreams of EVE-like ecosystem with big orgs, so this kinda natural part of community to placate with no wipe.

While pro-wipe party are much more rag-tag, with angry newbies, grumpy vets, vigilanties, revolutionairs and all sort freaks.

6 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

While pro-wipe party are much more rag-tag, with angry newbies, grumpy vets, vigilanties, revolutionairs and all sort freaks.

I notice that you go into great detail about who you think does not want a wipe and their reasons, and then for the opposing side you merely have a list of insulting labels. 

This is a pretty standard form of cancel culture prevalent in todays society. You give intellectual credit to one side of an argument by expounding on their motives , ideas, etc. Then you completely dismiss the other side with insulting labels to try and invalidate any of their arguments by not addressing them intelligently.

I'm not sure if this was your intent , or if your even aware of what your doing but I figured I would point it out for you.     

The new upcoming 0.24 mission system is yet another examples on the NQ dev style, and how it leads to balancing issues and community backlash.

In short, we essentially know nothing about the mission system. No ideas exchange, no community feedback, nothing.

So when NQ release 0.24, that will be the first time we get to see and try the mission system. Meaning NQ will already be heavily invested in the new system, before any player has had a chance to try or comment on anything. And it also happens to be the complete opposite off what was promised during the kickstarter.

1 hour ago, Xennial said:

I notice that you go into great detail about who you think does not want a wipe and their reasons, and then for the opposing side you merely have a list of insulting labels. 

This is a pretty standard form of cancel culture prevalent in todays society. You give intellectual credit to one side of an argument by expounding on their motives , ideas, etc. Then you completely dismiss the other side with insulting labels to try and invalidate any of their arguments by not addressing them intelligently.

I'm not sure if this was your intent , or if your even aware of what your doing but I figured I would point it out for you.     

I think you little bit overcomplicate things and want to see "cancel culture" where is none. I'm not american or even european in sense to be too much bothered by this virtual sniveling.

Reason I structured my message this way -- to show, that "establishment" (anti-wipe/anti-anything in changes that can cost them) having much more "big names" and ears access of NQ (complicated, but in primitive terms), relativly methodical agenda. They can act as quite coherent lobby force, if critical need arise to defend their interests (as likely happened during dodgly canceled Alioth regen).

"Resistance", to keep it in funny terms, that for most part I feel to be part of too, are relativly disorganized, less numerous and overall much more marginal (in wider sense, I hope you not again see it as "canceling"), agendas are different. Sure we can throw some righteus dirt in this forums (largly abandoned), kick some most intolerable simps on official Discords, but thats it. Little of effect. Obvisously, there is a lot smart people who do hard critics, no denial of that. Anyway, I was felt like their/our current position deserves some kind irony.

And I not see how this "labels" are insulting (again, with healthy bit of self-irony). Exept may be freaks, but its just reality -- that all this wipe talks attact brain-unstable people to do their best like, if you remember, 1st week Discord circus. Overall I can call myself all this names, was angry noob, now grumpy vet (not vettest vet, but still), sometimes vigilante, sometimes revolutionary, even sometimes freak. Its ok!

People who don't want any wipe only want to physically retain what they already built and to continue building on top of that. They are only concern about the building aspect of the game. If that is all they're after, I tell you that this is not one of the best building game. The reason why we are all playing this game is because of the overall package, not just for the building, in which this is not one of the best option. If NQ wants to protect the gameplay of this game, not just the building gameplay, then how about we think about a wipe?

If none of the sh*t works but just the building, there are a lot of better building game than this! Why play this one in particular if it isn't for the package?

That is my argument that I'd like to add. Concern yourself about the building? This game is about to die! 

NQ is in such an unstable and insecure position, lacks the leadership and dare I say spine to actually make tough choices. They prefer to band-aid their way through development hoping each time the bleeding will not seep through.

We have a saying in the Netherland which states "Zachte heelmeesters maken stinkende wonden" which freely translates to "Soft-handed healers make for stinking wounds" and more in context could be translated to "Tough times call for tough measures"

NQ thinks they will lose their player base if they take the measures they should to repair the game. I'd say they have been bleeding players because they have not yet done so and would actually gain _actual players_ to replace the vanity ones that may leave if they did. 

I can absolutely see that now is not the time for a wipe as much still needs to happen and come into the game that may again need one. Personally I feel that a wipe shortly after the introduction of Territory Warfare/energy management, once the initial issues with that patch are resolved, would be the opportune moment to wipe with normal blueprints and talent points retained and everything else wiped. Again, some will leave, most that say they will really won't and the majority of existing players will be fine with it while I could see a good number of players that left return.

10 hours ago, Eternal said:

People who don't want any wipe only want to physically retain what they already built and to continue building on top of that. They are only concern about the building aspect of the game. If that is all they're after, I tell you that this is not one of the best building game. The reason why we are all playing this game is because of the overall package, not just for the building, in which this is not one of the best option. If NQ wants to protect the gameplay of this game, not just the building gameplay, then how about we think about a wipe?

If none of the sh*t works but just the building, there are a lot of better building game than this! Why play this one in particular if it isn't for the package?

That is my argument that I'd like to add. Concern yourself about the building? This game is about to die! 

I'm a set designer/set decorator irl, trust me I'm pretty used to see things I built getting "wiped", it's sad but it also gives you the opportunity to learn and do better the next time, which is cool for a creative personality. This to say that I couldn't care less about my assets getting wiped couse I can just rebuild them better, and enjoy the process again, ofc it will also take me less then half the time it took me the first time couse I know now what to do. Also I know there are better building games, but afaik this is the only one with a single shard persistent universe, which is what I've been looking for for years.

The ones who are against the wipe are probably more concerned about their status than anything else, things might change and it might be not as easy to gain wealth as it was before.

Btw I agree with blazemonger that wiping now makes no sense, there are still many things that might go wrong, better to wait for release.

I've made my rants. I have been hypercritical of the way things are done at NQ. At one time I thought that NQ was swirling into the toilet of Oblivion with this game. I was hoping for a roll back when the mistake with the schematics happened, to which, never came to fruition. Sure, a small number of people took advantage of a situation caused by an error by someone at NQ. How many people took advantage of it? Does anyone know? Who took advantage of it? Does anyone know? Speaks a bit about character to have taken advantage over it. Is it game breaking... not at all. They can build a pool of resources in quantas, spend it on items, afford more territory... yeah they have more and can do more from it. And for all of the folks raging over it, do you know of anyone who made like a bandit off of this? You had 30 minutes of error, at least one person noticed, who would take advantage of it anyways and maybe a few they would tell. 

NQ erred by not immediately doing a rollback, that's my opinion. I held out hope for a short while, but after a short while... a rollback has much more devastating effects than the error would have in the first place. Construction by players, as well as any other action would have been reversed. Anything the staff would have fixed would have been reversed. All transactions made by players.... reversed. That would have a more devastating impact if you ask me. So, NQ bit the bullet, owned up to the issue and the missed opportunity, and did nothing. 

Here's a new way to look at it. They sell for 841 million apiece, at 1 percent, still 8.4 million apiece, a few people bought some up... Sure you can manufacture them, but at 299 million a pop, how many are you going to sell? You can't really offload the schematics in bulk at the markets for a low, low price... because you just told on yourself. You can't really profit like mad from the production of them, they cost too much. Orgs share beacons with members, and other folks... just what demand is there? If people buy them straight from the market, from the bots, if NQ would make them untradable and unsellable between players at barter.... someone just lost a boatload of money and are stuck with what they thought was a clearance sale. Perhaps make it where they have to have staff authorization to trade or sell the schematics. Add in an "Amnesty Dispenser" that would give the same amount of quantas that the bug had them selling for and give the folks a chance to right a wrong. There are still ways to mitigate the issue possibly. It is not the end of the world.... Too many people are way too fast to come to a conclusion on matters. It's the world we live in today. 

On another note.... I sit in the help chat quite often and see the daily goings on and problems that arise. The number of tickets are way down, particularly for the market related disconnects. Maybe the player base is disintegrating over this last error by NQ. Needlessly might I add if that is the case. Ticket teams are busting their butts to catch up and are making good headway. The last game bug, the industry stopping, took 2 days to correct, and that was on a weekend. They listened... There are good things coming down the pipe people.... I would not abandon all hope just yet. 

2 hours ago, Fra119 said:

Btw I agree with blazemonger that wiping now makes no sense, there are still many things that might go wrong, better to wait for release.

Well, people who want wipe NOW obviously do this out of hystery. Wipe on release was always possibility, despite NQ maneuvering around "only if we have no choice".

But will they have this choice?

Main trap is not even all blunders we experienced with economy, but new wave of players (who are increasingly critical for NQ survival, considering Beta demographic failure). Despite some vets hypocriticly crying: "but we need to prepare civilization for new guys", its obvious that new guys will prefer to have clean world with fresh equal start without all crap old fellas hoarded (especialy by dodgy means). 

NQ already acted very agressivly to protect new wave of players (justified or not -- another question) during Beta start -- ship shop, daily money, super-SZ, ore everywhere.

It means generaly 3 scenarious:

1) They wipe to have more appeal from new players, loosing several hundreds most greedy/tired old ones. Cruel, but better in math.

2) They construct some sort of prefferential positioning for new players, giving them start on new system without us or something like that. Difficult to realize, and old players will go nuts in their ghetto, unable to immidiatly impose their sweet advantage.

3) They keep it like this, allowing to save old stuff and everyone will be in same world without any complicated starting conditions... but I doubt it go really well for complex of reasons.

1 hour ago, le_souriceau said:

It means generaly 3 scenarious:

They could also do the equivalent of an expansion in an MMO like WoW. All old stuff stays, but it worth far less because of the good new stuff. Just like a level cap increase in an MMO takes away the advantage of being an old player, without actually changing or taking away any old items/currency, in DU this could look something like this:

-New ressource, gems, already announced, allows to modify assembler. Like diamonds make anything produced in it have more hitpoints, rubies gives all flight elements more power etc. Some kind of system which makes it so that newly created items are better than old item as the buff can not be added after production.

-New talents with a similar effect to above.

-lots of new talents in general, say they double the amount of points that can be spend, but at the same time double the amount of points you passively gain from 90 to 180 per minute. Now a 6 months headstart is only a 3 month headstart.
-overhault of achievements, make the majority of achievements very accessible and a bit more tutorial style, like the first talents in minecraft. Make them give far more talent points as reward. While old player can get those as well, a new player has a jumpstart now.
Old score of new player vs you: zero to six months worth of points.
New score of new player vs you: one to four (your six got halved, you both got 1 month worth added)

-Introduce some kind of upkeep for various items/elements/ships but compensate this by introducing some new income system (this one is the least realistic, I am aware). If players/corps had to pay quanta for all kinds of things, it would be like taxing the rich. The more you have, the more you pay, while at the same time all players have a new source of income which only scales with time. So old money can not grow by a percentage anymore like it does currently.

It has been done in other games, it isnt new, I don’t see why they wouldnt introduce some kind of equalizer mechanics so new players dont feel as left behind.