The case for life in DU

Greviouss

What does eve have that makes it engaging and alive in a way that DU - AS GOOD OF A GAME AS IT IS - is lacking?

Lets examine the two and see for a second:

General premise : 
Eve online exists as a player driven world where all the things that occur in the world are player driven.
Does DU have this? : Yes

World :  

While not fully owned and operated the vast amount of space in eve is player owned. even in high sec in eve players can control traffic and transport of goods while providing assistance etc to those around them. Yea the npc owns the safe haven stations, and exists in various parts of the universe as npc ships that engage the player with a multitude of things including and not limited to : 
a common go get em task both solo and group that powers thier wallets

provides excitement without forcing pvp on anyone specifically
provides a few different types of mission structures,
helps balance the economy providing various sinks and faucets,
provides elements for industry both basic and advanced,
gives a sense of player stature as u work through waves of them and survive,
and also provides a source to drive universe level story content off of.

Does DU have this? : No.

As I understand this DU is going the route of If it exists and

if it moves : its a player.

if its not a planet : its a player or something built by a player.

and while this is a great approach, can i point out the multitude of things that providing a base NPC element to the game can easily provide routes for fixing some holes up in the economy, and in the general gameplay loops for everyone. If say each hex spawned a set number of roaming mindless npc animal types that we could just aim and go pew at.. we would initially be elated at running and shooting the thingz for the things.. hundreds of recipes and items can be generated off of sci fi biological material, bounties to collect npc elements from other planets at terminals, food sources, storyline elements, sinks, and faucets, rare items.. and as many more things as you can imagine can go in to that over time just by it existing

3 hours ago, Greviouss said:

What does eve have that makes it engaging and alive in a way that DU - AS GOOD OF A GAME AS IT IS - is lacking?

Lets examine the two and see for a second:

General premise : 
Eve online exists as a player driven world where all the things that occur in the world are player driven.
Does DU have this? : Yes

The answer is actually no. EVE has a number of game loops that feed into each other and/or enrich each other. DU just copies some of the top layers of this while ignoring the underlying loops that make those work in a player driver economy. EVE is a genuine painting, DU is color the numbers.

Also CCP actively and aggressively protects and manages their in game economy as they understand that it is the backbone and core of the game. DU is entirely clueless of this and just keeps stacking blunder on blunder while allow the rich and able to get richer and more able and at he same time are pretty much locking out the rest of what is left of a player base.

21 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Also CCP actively and aggressively protects and manages their in game economy as they understand that it is the backbone and core of the game. DU is entirely clueless of this and just keeps stacking blunder on blunder while allow the rich and able to get richer and more able and at he same time are pretty much locking out the rest of what is left of a player base.

CCP hired a real economist to fine tune and maintain theirs after its initial implementation.

2 hours ago, Greviouss said:

CCP hired a real economist to fine tune and maintain theirs after its initial implementation.

True and for good reason. Thing is, NQ knows all this and still, they make all the mistakes they should no have because they have examples that show what is the best course of action.

I agree that trade needs People buying the tools to do the missions but if there isn't a deep pocket faction influxing credits or Valuable items into the market then it will run negative until there is no Economic trade outside of a weak barter.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:11 PM, blazemonger said:

True and for good reason. Thing is, NQ knows all this and still, they make all the mistakes they should no have because they have examples that show what is the best course of action.

I cannot decypher the NQ intent portion of it lol :D

what i see is

NQ knows their wrong, 

NQ knows this is the right thing to do ,

NQ isn't doing because?... they know that its right?

I think?

or

NQ isn't doing because?... they know there's several successful prior universe examples that show that its right course of action?

ive really read it 30 times and i cannot clearly understand the implied NQ reasoning and intent 

3 minutes ago, Greviouss said:

ive really read it 30 times and i cannot clearly understand the implied NQ reasoning and intent 

Not that NQ themselves have been any clearer in explaining why.
Maybe they just dont think its ready yet?

• 1 month later...

NQ are still adding features so aren’t putting effort into balancing yet I suspect.

like a lot of industry needs rebalancing for example.

but since a lot of people are treating it as an active game rather than a developing alpha called beta then they are failing because the parts required to sustained haven’t been added or balanced yet.

if it was still an alpha people would be a lot happier. But since people are paying to play they expect a more balanced finished game.

really need to admit they messed up, return to alpha and do a very heavy marketing push to get more kick starters. 

The problem is is not enough money to develop two many different paths at once, so the balancing and polish aren’t being looked at.