How to find a spot to mine?

Hadrac

Hey,

I'm playing now about a week and startet yesterday a journey to Alioth, to find a spot to mine.
I thought you have to place a territory unit to do so, but it doesn't seems to be like that.

How do you find a spot to mine then? All territorys i visited were dead.

1 hour ago, Hadrac said:

Hey,

I'm playing now about a week and startet yesterday a journey to Alioth, to find a spot to mine.
I thought you have to place a territory unit to do so, but it doesn't seems to be like that.

How do you find a spot to mine then? All territorys i visited were dead.

Look on the map and find a hex that's not red. The further it is from any red hex the more likely it is to still have ore. If you find a meganode, go get a TCU and claim the hex.

5 hours ago, Hadrac said:

Thx thats sounds logical, but then you have to travel ages to the next market. Or will it need a spaceship?

The closer you are to a market the harder it is to find a good tile, that's because ppl have been playing for months and since being near a market is a huge advantage you can assume that market areas were the firsts to be scanned/mined.

That said, the only way to know if a tile is good is using the territory scanner, work on getting 3 of them so you can place a dynamic core in the interception between 3 tiles and scan them all at once (scanning takes 15minutes to complete and you can't get farther than a km away from it or it will stop).

Choose an area quite far away from the markets and start your scanning career there, you don't have to live there, just use it to mine.

I'm still finding megas in an area exactly 100km away from the nearest market, I'm having some hard times finding silver tho (compared to how much pyrite I found on Thades for instance).

Honestly if what you need is sell ores to bot I find it easier to just go back to sanctuary, it takes roughly the same time to do alioth-sanctuary than travel 100km or more to the nearest market. If you instead want to sell ore to players than you'd better stay on alioth.

TY hadrac for showing the pitfall of the current system where you have to search for hours to get a decent spot to mine after all is already taken or strip mined.

I expect this to be even more troublesome after release, or are they planning the planet overhaul then and re-release of all STU so we need to grab land again and rebuild our stuff?

That depends entirely on yourself. With the 150K you get everyday you can choose to play the markets or save up to buy a ship like the ones found on  DU-C | Ships (du-creators.org)

T1 ores are very plentiful and you can actually build a reasonable ship right out of our "back pocket", some parts you'd need to buy but you can use the daily 150K for that. 

Beyond that, you can join an org based on what you'd like to do in game and in many cases that org will  be able to provide for you. It's mostly up to yourself to find what you'd like to go for and find the right resources to do that, be it mine, join an org, try and steal it from others or whatever..

@blazemonger To buy a ship bigger was my second goal. I saved 2 m qantas while 2 days of mining and wanted to buy the small hauler at the ship-store, but that was a hard grind.
I've found a spacehauler on du-creators with 48k Container volume, the token costs 1,25 m.
Honestly i don't know yet what I want do, I wanted to see whats fun and make some money to proceed.

First up, please dont listen to all the people who tell you to mine and sell ore, like it is the only option.  Selling ore is the lowest possible value for the resource.  Making money is down to what you enjoy, there arent that many viable gameplay careers at the moment but here are some that do work:

- Trader - look at the market and find a product which has a wide range of prices at different markets.  Buy from the markets with the lowest price and move the items to markets with no stock or high priced stock.  Wait for it to sell - make profits (great way for new players to start who dont want to mine)
- Manufacturer - similar to the above but you build a factory for a specific product or range of products, the spread the products to all markets you can (avoid those with low price competition)
- Prospector - get yourself a terri scanner and go find meganodes.  When you find them, you can claim the territory and sell it to someone else (requires discord at the moment)

Heading out, so cant list any more for now.  Hopefully far more careers will be possible in the future, once ingame communication is improved.

So this new player with hardly any funds and a newb speeder only is going to.

- buy goods from markets

- transport said goods to markets on other planets, usually outside the safezone

- Build a factory

- buy a territory scanner

That is going to take forever without first having to do lots of mining to get the funds to scale up to something sensible and being able to afford crashes etc.