Mass Player Tracking Projects & Spying

Virtual

3 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

You can't gather real names from people here and so can't linke anyone's posting habits to sell that. even if you wanted to. ANd according to the EULA you agreed with when you joined, NQ could so that, yes. COULD.. not saying they do, intent to or have..

And again, RL vs fictional in game .. you're reaching here.. beyond what is reasonable..

rnjesus..smh.  I was giving a sarcastic example, that you took serious and didn't even understand.  Why are you bringing up NQ???   

That's enough hero, go back to the bench and relax.  It's over now.

1 minute ago, michaelk said:

First, there's a different between something being legal and me agreeing with it ethically. 

People use bots to scrape forums all the time.

There's no way to obtain my real name (or any PII) from the data available unless I actually post it, so feel free to bot away. Bots are already scraping every post in this very forum, programmatically extracting emails for spam lists. That's why you don't post information like that anywhere....

In the same way, there's no way to obtain PII (personally identifiable information) from someone's in-game avatar in DU...which is what people keep repeating time and time again. No one cares if your avatar is logged when visiting a market.

That isn't an invasion of privacy because that information isn't private. Nor is it remotely useful to track you as a human being...

There's a LOT to be concerned about with internet privacy, don't get me wrong...but this isn't really at the top of any list.  

But that's not the point.  The point is that I as a user cannot use a platform to harvest other players data for profit in RL, because it is illegal.  Doing it in a video game, for character data without anyone knowing is dirty gameplay.  It is in my post...  

The point of the argument was to define dirty gameplay comparing it to RL examples.

24 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

That's not how this conversation began. I was defining dirty gameplay.  Your going to far, all of you are going to far to win an argument you can't win.  If it was real life and I was taking your information without you knowing and profiting, it would be illegal period.  Doing it in a video game is dirty gameplay.  Keep up or get out. 

You are claiming that what is happening in game is illegal, that it sets the wrong precedence and that is invades privacy. Your arguments get yanked from under your feet and you are now saying I am changing the conversation? Get real.. please..

Here is what you said.. verbatim just in case you decide to go back and edit the text to justify your new narrative:  

4 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

Ok hero.  The guy with 3 alt accounts is running a totem to gather your information without your permission, to then sell it to corporations.  Does that sound familiar??

It is literally, in most parts of the  world and defiantly in the USA, ILLEGAL.  Companies get sued and have to pay large fines for doing what this player is doing in the game.  What is wrong with your brain?

This is my justification for dirty gameplay.  Allowing dirty gameplay sets a bad precedence, and is a negative variable when determining sustainability of a game.

If this player wants to be legit, then a sign needs to be put up that clearly states, IF YOU USE THIS AUCTION HOUSE YOUR NAME, TIME, CORPORATION INFORMATION WILL BE LOGGED AND USED AT OUR DISCRETION.  Then the player is responsible for their privacy.  

Now it's your turn.  Explain to us how you justify an act in a game, that is illegal in real life.  How can you see this as 'just part of the game'. Because something is used to do something legit, it should be allowed to be used for something not legit?  Explain.

You are implying that what is assumed to be happening here (still not a single sign of evidence, not that it matters one bit if there was)  is dirty gameplay and you are linking it to this being illegal in RL as well that in game, characters should apply RL requirements to give notice of information being collected, in game where it is impossible to link that data to anything or anyone outside of the game. None of this is the case. You pay much attention to games lately? Notice anything in todays games that is illegal in real life? 

Your pushing an agenda, trying to argue it and when you can't you try and spin it so you were right all along and we just misread your intent.

Where in the game's TOS does it say that collecting player data in game to be used in game is not permitted? Unless it is, your argument is void. And I have a newsflash for you, there is a lot worse going on in game.. I mean a lot.. and all of it perfectly within the game's TOS so it's fine.. it's a game.. You are free to leave if you can't agree to that.

4 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

But that's not the point.  The point is that I as a user cannot use a platform to harvest other players data for profit in RL, because it is illegal.  Doing it in a video game, for character data without anyone knowing is dirty gameplay.  It is in my post...  

The point of the argument was to define dirty gameplay comparing it to RL examples.

If your point is to say that in an in game context it is dirty gameplay then you are expected to show evidence to support your claim IMO.. If what you claim is true then it's gameplay.. period.. whether it's dirty or not is entirely in the eye of the beholder and as long as there is nothing in TOS not allowing it, there is nothing you have that justifies condemning it here. You are free and encouraged to condemn it in game and RP it out.. Start a campaign in game to make characters aware, raise an army to track and hunt down these scoundrels and bring them to justice .. whatever.. Stop complaining here about in game events and deal with it .. in game..

Now it's your turn.  Explain to us how you justify an act in a game, that is illegal in real life.  How can you see this as 'just part of the game'. Because something is used to do something legit, it should be allowed to be used for something not legit?  Explain.

Originally just wanted to point out a mistake and not getting to a pissing contest.

Right there is when you allege that if it's illegal in the real world it should be illegal in the game world. you were the one that related the game world is being the same as the real world as such you stated erroneous information. Not once did I say you specifically said in NQ, you in fact stated:

Companies get sued and have to pay large fines for doing what this player is doing in the game. 

Which is incorrect information. If you were correct, NQ, Google, Tesla, Apple, Samsung, would all have pending lawsuits.

the lawsuit that you referred to that went against Google was many years ago and dealt with Homeland security as well as private info and violating witness protection programs because of the real time access of satellite information as well as vehicle tags and people's faces. Completely unrelated to somebody tagging IDs and times.

As far as laws being the same in game as far as real life then you have never heard of Grand theft Auto Watch Dog or so so many other titles.

it's quite simple you're going to think the way you want to think you will look nothing up because you wish to remain ignorant that's on you not me. I personally don't care if you see truth or not. USA is about choices, even if it is the choice to remain ignorant. Your aluminum foil hat is a bit crooked, better straighten that.

1 minute ago, Hazaatan said:

Okay, I understand that now. 

Everyone calm down lol.

I don't have to edit anything.  I never said that this guy is doing something illegal.  I clearly said that if he was doing it in RL it would be illegal and companies have been sued for it.

"It is literally, in most parts of the  world and defiantly in the USA, ILLEGAL.  Companies get sued and have to pay large fines for doing what this player is doing in the game."  

How does this translate to I said this guy is doing something illegal. 

In my previous post, where the conversation began, I sad "1. I didn't say anything about planting luas on people or that the totem is somehow illegal or against policy.  It's in the game and being used for dirty gameplay"

Go back and read the conversation from the beginning hero.  you clearly missed some steps.

The point here is that this is a game, RL rules do not apply. Your classification this is dirty gameplay is entirely subjective and IMO without merit.

There is zero evidence to support your assumption and no doubt @Virtual is sitting in a corner chuckling about how his attempt to stir up the pot worked out so beautifully.

For all we know this whole thing is his doing to begin with and he just wanted the attention.

16 minutes ago, Deintus said:

Originally just wanted to point out a mistake and not getting to a pissing contest.

Right there is when you allege that if it's illegal in the real world it should be illegal in the game world. you were the one that related the game world is being the same as the real world as such you stated erroneous information. Not once did I say you specifically said in NQ, you in fact stated:

Which is incorrect information. If you were correct, NQ, Google, Tesla, Apple, Samsung, would all have pending lawsuits.

the lawsuit that you referred to that went against Google was many years ago and dealt with Homeland security as well as private info and violating witness protection programs because of the real time access of satellite information as well as vehicle tags and people's faces. Completely unrelated to somebody tagging IDs and times.

As far as laws being the same in game as far as real life then you have never heard of Grand theft Auto Watch Dog or so so many other titles.

it's quite simple you're going to think the way you want to think you will look nothing up because you wish to remain ignorant that's on you not me. I personally don't care if you see truth or not. USA is about choices, even if it is the choice to remain ignorant. Your aluminum foil hat is a bit crooked, better straighten that.

"Right there is when you allege that if it's illegal in the real world it should be illegal in the game world."   

Right there?  where??  

"Now it's your turn.  Explain to us how you justify an act in a game, that is illegal in real life.  How can you see this as 'just part of the game'. Because something is used to do something legit, it should be allowed to be used for something not legit?  Explain."

You started this conversation, and your jumping on the bandwagon...  nothing about this post says that the in game act is illegal.  It is clear that I sad - the act in the game, if done in RL would be illegal.  I never said it should be illegal in the game.  I don't like it because it is dirty gameplay.  You like it because of reasons have have yet to give because you still haven't justified it.

Just to get this straitened out; 

"Which is incorrect information. If you were correct, NQ, Google, Tesla, Apple, Samsung, would all have pending lawsuits." 

They don't have pending lawsuits because they  add as much BS into their TOS to cover their asses.  But they do not have permission to all of your data.  If you say that you can't pay the bills and they send you a copy of your current bank information showing you do in fact have money to pay the bill, that not illegal??  The important word here is permission. 

My statement is "Companies get sued and have to pay large fines for doing what this player is doing in the game."  This player is gathering information on other players WITHOUT permission.

"the lawsuit that you referred to that went against Google was many years ago and dealt with Homeland security as well as private info and violating witness protection programs because of the real time access of satellite information as well as vehicle tags and people's faces. Completely unrelated to somebody tagging IDs and times."

You just agreed with me.  "Private info"  It is absolutely related because of permission.  They didn't have permission.

"As far as laws being the same in game as far as real life then you have never heard of Grand theft Auto Watch Dog or so so many other titles."

I never said that laws should  be the same in game as in RL.  I said it was dirty gameplay and I didn't like it.  I also said I didn't like scamming out of kiosks, and that is also illegal if you were to do that in RL.

"USA is about choices, even if it is the choice to remain ignorant."

You have to be really dense to not understand what is happening in your own country.  USA used-to-be about choices.  It is now about one choice, the lowest common denominator choice.  If you don't' know that, your ignorance is heavy, too heavy for you to carry.  You are not in an echo chamber, keep politics out of this.

We're done here.

8 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

"Right there is when you allege that if it's illegal in the real world it should be illegal in the game world."   

Right there?  where??  

"Now it's your turn.  Explain to us how you justify an act in a game, that is illegal in real life.  How can you see this as 'just part of the game'. Because something is used to do something legit, it should be allowed to be used for something not legit?  Explain."

You started this conversation, and your jumping on the bandwagon...  nothing about this post says that the in game act is illegal.  It is clear that I sad - the act in the game, if done in RL would be illegal.  I never said it should be illegal in the game.  I don't like it because it is dirty gameplay.  You like it because of reasons have have yet to give because you still haven't justified it.

Just to get this straitened out; 

"Which is incorrect information. If you were correct, NQ, Google, Tesla, Apple, Samsung, would all have pending lawsuits." 

They don't have pending lawsuits because they  add as much BS into their TOS to cover their asses.  But they do not have permission to all of your data.  If you say that you can't pay the bills and they send you a copy of your current bank information showing you do in fact have money to pay the bill, that not illegal??  The important word here is permission. 

My statement is "Companies get sued and have to pay large fines for doing what this player is doing in the game."  This player is gathering information on other players WITHOUT permission.

"the lawsuit that you referred to that went against Google was many years ago and dealt with Homeland security as well as private info and violating witness protection programs because of the real time access of satellite information as well as vehicle tags and people's faces. Completely unrelated to somebody tagging IDs and times."

You just agreed with me.  "Private info"  It is absolutely related because of permission.  They didn't have permission.

"As far as laws being the same in game as far as real life then you have never heard of Grand theft Auto Watch Dog or so so many other titles."

I never said that laws should  be the same in game as in RL.  I said it was dirty gameplay and I didn't like it.  I also said I didn't like scamming out of kiosks, and that is also illegal if you were to do that in RL.

"USA is about choices, even if it is the choice to remain ignorant."

You have to be really dense to not understand what is happening in your own country.  USA used-to-be about choices.  It is now about one choice, the lowest common denominator choice.  If you don't' know that, your ignorance is heavy, too heavy for you to carry.  You are not in an echo chamber, keep politics out of this.

We're done here.

Oh no we're not!

6 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

Explain to us how you justify an act in a game, that is illegal in real life.

I WOULD justify it by all the success of the many games that already DO have illegal activities in the game and state "it's just a game", HOWEVER since the act YOU describe is NOT illegal, there is no need.

By the way, all your bullying tactics roll off me like water off a ducks back. Dude you don't get it, I really just do not care. ?

19 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Just to make sure we are all on the same planet here. 

You all are talking about a detection zone, on a ship, parked at a market, being able to log the names of any players that walk past it?

That's all right? 

If we're roleplaying that we're angry at the ORG doing it, because they're invading our imaginary in game privacy, then i'm down with that lol

But do people actually think there is something wrong with the ability to do this?  It was added so you can track players passing through the finish line of a race.  

If this forum was "in game" roleplay I would of course feign outrage myself because I'm not getting in on the action yet. But this section of the forum is clearly "Out of Game". So they seriously think that they have a certain degree of in game rights and privacy in this game, which means they think they had the same in past games...which means they have no idea what's going on.

@Hazaatan You do realize that this is a sand box and society building game? This means we have to build the social order within it. This means when we hear about other players being Pirates, which obviously most of us dislike...we declare it Illegal IN GAME, group together IN GAME, and solve the problem IN GAME.

The conundrum we have here is that what is called the "safe zone" which protects you from direct player operated damage from elements specifically built to reduce HP, is in fact the most dangerous zone you can be in because no social order can be enforced except by hard coding it in. The OP's stuff will not work in a combat zone. I wonder if the people who criticized me before when I was asking for people to stop calling it a "safe zone" and "PvP zone" when it's not safe and PvP still happens in the so called safe zone are starting to realize I am, in fact, entirely correct.

22 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

It is clear that I sad - the act in the game, if done in RL would be illegal.  I never said it should be illegal in the game.  I don't like it because it is dirty gameplay...

...I never said that laws should  be the same in game as in RL.  I said it was dirty gameplay and I didn't like it.  I also said I didn't like scamming out of kiosks, and that is also illegal if you were to do that in RL...

Okay, now we're back to talking about RL...fun! 

Let's assume someone placed the same kiosk near the entrance of a local mall. It scans everyone that enters or leaves the mall. There's no consent, no TOUs, no permissions granted. 

Is that illegal...? 

No, it's basically a security camera. They can write software and create a profile with various analytics, like how often you visit or the likelihood that someone in similar demographics will visit again.

Yes, they can sell that data to third parties...

To Hazaatan's point, it works differently in DU because it records your actual player name.

The equivalent RL technology would be the same mall scanner, but with facial recognition that can attach your real name to the record. Now you have credit reports, social media profiles, etc...all because someone dared to walk by a scanner they didn't know about. 

Here's the screwy part...that's still legal in the USA. And yes, they could still sell that data to a third party. 

One of the few "regulations" that does exist has zero mechanism for enforcement and is basically written as a "please be responsible" guideline rather than a specific law: 

The United States currently lacks a comprehensive law that governs the commercial sharing and sale of PII.[5] In this way, the United States lags far behind the European Union, which passed the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in 2016 to protect its resident’s personal information and data.[6] The GDPR has set the global standard for PII protection, and a number of states have recently taken steps to follow this foreign example.[7]....

No private right of action exists under the FTC Act, so individuals are granted no recourse under federal law for violations of their PII rights.

Source: https://uclawreview.org/2020/09/09/protecting-personally-identifiable-information-in-the-united-states/

The reality is that the USA has no concept of protecting PII in federal law. 

Not trying to be political, just trying to provide perspective and reminding people in the EU not to take GDPR for granted lol. 

5 minutes ago, michaelk said:

To Hazaatan's point, it works differently in DU because it records your actual player name

At best it can record the character's name which is not he same. The account is identified in game by a number, there is no reference nor a way to obtain the account name (which for DU is the email address used) beyond that. So yes, one can identify a player in game by the ID even when they change their character name but that is about as far as it goes.

If you have anything to show me this is not correct I'd be happy to accept that but afaik this is the situation in game.

Thinking about this some more I think people in here are misunderstanding what 'personally identifiable information' actually means (at least in the European context of the relevant real-world laws).  A character name is clearly personally identifiable information in this context because there is only one real-world individual who is using that player name.  It doesn't matter that you can't actually get to the real-world information for the person, all that matters is that only one person in the real world uses that in-game name, so the in-game name identifies one real-world individual.  It is personally identifiable information.

I think people have to be careful what information they store along with in-game names in this context.  I don't really know what the rules would be for in-game information being stored together with this (a list of orgs I have been in, for example).  IMO abusing in-game information about someone is pretty similar to killing someone in-game, it's all part of the game.  But if they store any information which can be used to derive real-world information about the individual uniquely identified by the character name then that's clearly going to be covered by a lot of real-world laws. 

One obvious example would be saving my character name together with the date and time at which I passed by a particular point.  Now you have a list of dates and times when I, the uniquely identifiable indivudual in the real world, was sat at my computer playing a video game.  That's tracking real world activity of humans whether you like it or not.  And it might not stay in-game.  Say, for example, I'm playing games when I'm meant to be working and my boss catches me.   They might get my character name from my work computer then go pay whoever is collecting information in-game real-world money for a list of the times I was known to be playing.  At that point it's not really in-game information at all.  In Europe, at least, they would have to get my permission before keeping a list of information which has the potential to be used in this way, telling me why they have it and offering me the option to have it deleted at any time.

But it all depends where the person who is collecting the information lives, what they store and where they store it.

1 hour ago, Zeddrick said:

Thinking about this some more I think people in here are misunderstanding what 'personally identifiable information' actually means (at least in the European context of the relevant real-world laws).  A character name is clearly personally identifiable information in this context because there is only one real-world individual who is using that player name.  It doesn't matter that you can't actually get to the real-world information for the person, all that matters is that only one person in the real world uses that in-game name, so the in-game name identifies one real-world individual.  It is personally identifiable information.

But it all depends where the person who is collecting the information lives, what they store and where they store it.

This is such a good point! Under GDPR any unique identifier is PII, including things like a player name. As I understand it, even a randomly generated token is PII if unique to the individual, such as a player ID. 

Exposing this via API/LUA is basically giving it to third parties, so.... something NQ should really think about.

The US has no federal concept of PII laws, but many states have laws similar to GDPR. 

Damn... this thread is a rollercoaster, and I thought Wombats being the only animals to poop cubic turds would be the most interesting thing I read today. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/how-do-wombats-poop-cubes-scientists-get-bottom-mystery

though I guess DU just need to explain exactly what information is “uniquely” identifiable in game and available to export via the API in the EULA and making it an opt in, check box based, condition for playing the game. 

50 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

Damn... this thread is a rollercoaster, and I thought Wombats being the only animals to poop cubic turds would be the most interesting thing I read today. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/how-do-wombats-poop-cubes-scientists-get-bottom-mystery

Nature's voxelmancer ?

7 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

Thinking about this some more I think people in here are misunderstanding what 'personally identifiable information' actually means

Besides the fact you are way out of scope for the intent of this regulation, it does not apply this way. Your in game name as wel as the numeric code representing your account is not something that can be used to trace back to you as an individual UNLESS you yourself reveal this information.

That there is only one RL person using that specific in game name (which is not always the case) is not what makes it personally identifiable information as the number in game nor the in game character name could be used to directly trace back to you as a RL person.

Your IGN or account number in game is not  "personal data" as it is not "‘any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person". It would only be personal data when combined with your email address which is the real world counterpart of the in game account number. And that link is protected by the NQ account system and it is NQ's responsibility to ensure that stays protected. Without the email address, the number means nothing. If you yourself reveal both as being linked, that does not constitute a GDPR breach by NQ.

Besides that, before gaining access to the servers you consent to the game's privacy policy which covers this as well so there is nothing here.

If someone sets up a system in game to get information on visiting patterns for a market (which really is all this is, if it is the case as assumed by OP) that woud not constitute a privacy breach in RL nor in game.

4 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

though I guess DU just need to explain exactly what information is “uniquely” identifiable in game and available to export via the API in the EULA and making it an opt in, check box based, condition for playing the game. 

As long as NQ does not reveal the player's email address through the coming API (and there is no reason to do so), there is no issue here. players are identified in game by a number which by itself can't be used to trace back to the RL person owning the account for that player.

7 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Besides the fact you are way out of scope for the intent of this regulation, it does not apply this way. Your in game name as wel as the numeric code representing your account is not something that can be used to trace back to you as an individual UNLESS you yourself reveal this information.

That there is only one RL person using that specific in game name (which is not always the case) is not what makes it personally identifiable information as the number in game nor the in game character name could be used to directly trace back to you as a RL person.

Your IGN or account number in game is not  "personal data" as it is not "‘any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person".

I wouldn't call myself an expert on GDPR, but it actually does not matter if the unique identifier can be traced back to your real-life person. Wild, right? 

What matters is having a unique identifier, period. My IP address is PII because it can be used to build a profile of my activity and track me across websites. If I write code to create a seemingly nonsensical "token" derived from various data like IP, user agent, UA version, etc...that still requires GDPR compliance because it can be used to differentiate one user from another.

Do I know who this individual is? No, but I can uniquely identify them. If you can use the data to differentiate one person/user from another, it's an "identifier" and PII...no matter if I can ever associate that data back to the person's RL name or email. 

As I mentioned, my RL experience with this is...tracking people using identifiers/tokens. Our system was not GDPR compliant, but also only served US customers so it wasn't a problem. 

Here's a good source on identifiers under GDPR: 

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/what-is-personal-data/what-are-identifiers-and-related-factors/#pd3

At its most basic form, whenever you differentiate one individual from others, you are identifying that individual. Any individual who can be distinguished from others is considered identifiable.

From this source: https://gdpr.eu/eu-gdpr-personal-data/ 

Also consider the indirect identifiability -- as Zeddrick mentioned the possibility to use this data to get someone in trouble at work also covers it as PII under "indirect identifiability": 

15 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

One obvious example would be saving my character name together with the date and time at which I passed by a particular point.  Now you have a list of dates and times when I, the uniquely identifiable indivudual in the real world, was sat at my computer playing a video game.  That's tracking real world activity of humans whether you like it or not.  And it might not stay in-game.  Say, for example, I'm playing games when I'm meant to be working and my boss catches me.   They might get my character name from my work computer then go pay whoever is collecting information in-game real-world money for a list of the times I was known to be playing.  At that point it's not really in-game information at all.

The scope was meant to be very wide because (trust me) if you give advertisers or scammers any avenue for abuse, they'll take it, run with it, and set up a colony on the freakin' moon with it. 

Am I concerned about my PII in DU? No.

Do I think this is a situation where the GDPR police need to be called up? No.

Is NQ violating GDPR by allowing third parties to access/sell PII, even if only unique identifiers....yeah, probably...but who really knows if this is covered under the TOUs. I sure as hell won't read them! :D 

18 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

Right there?  where??  

When yo wrote this:

23 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

Now it's your turn.  Explain to us how you justify an act in a game, that is illegal in real life.

You literally ask how one justifies doing something in a game that is not legal IRL .. and by that you imply that what is illegal IRL should not be legal/allowed/justifiable in game, there is no way you can talk your way out of that one, not even around it..

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

When yo wrote this:

You literally ask how one justifies doing something in a game that is not legal IRL .. and by that you imply that what is illegal IRL should not be legal/allowed/justifiable in game, there is no way you can talk your way out of that one, not even around it..

Except in this case this is actually illegal IRL, at least according to GDPR....

If the OP is recording and distributing PII (see my previous post about identifiers) for any EU citizen, they are violating the law and the EULA.  

https://www.dualuniverse.game/legal/eula#article-5

7. Posting or disseminating personal identification information about yourself or other Users (doxing);

11. Sending content that infringes or violates the rights of others, including copyright, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, publicity or privacy rights or other rights;

16. Using any part of the Game to gather or collect information about other persons, including, but not limited to, email addresses; and

According to GDPR, identifiers are PII and collecting/selling/distributing to third parties isn't okay.

Yes, even though we're talking about freakin' game activities most people wouldn't care about and anonymous game IDs. GDPR still considers that personal data and as such is covered by EU law and the EULA. 

Without reading the whole thread, how did it rank on the tin-foil-hat-ometer? Bet there was all sorts of theories going down.

Interesting stuff on GDPR @michaelk pretty much all of it is correct, if a bit tenuous.  I also agree with your comment about marketeers, if we find a loophole we use it, a bit like gamers tbh

And it is also very easy to get around the identifiers law using ToS, companies like HubSpot, Sharpspring (pretty much any SaaS digital marketing provider) etc do it all the time, whenever anyone agree their cookie ToS.

5 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Without reading the whole thread, how did it rank on the tin-foil-hat-ometer? Bet there was all sorts of theories going down.

Interesting stuff on GDPR @michaelk pretty much all of it is correct, if a bit tenuous.  I also agree with your comment about marketeers, if we find a loophole we use it, a bit like gamers tbh

And it is also very easy to get around the identifiers law using ToS, companies like HubSpot, Sharpspring (pretty much any SaaS digital marketing provider) etc do it all the time, whenever anyone agree their cookie ToS.

Yeah, supposedly it isn't okay to have a passive opt-in anymore -- like those popups that say "by using our site you're agreeing to our cookie policy" (https://www.zettasphere.com/gdpr-consent-opt-in-examples/).

People do it anyway. People ignore GDPR all the time. 

I do like the theory that the OP is just screwing with people and these beacons don't actually do anything lol. That'd be so freakin' perfect. 

Personally, not really paranoid about tracking like this...I don't think this thread would've gotten very far were it not for Hazaatan having an argument and Zeddrick bringing up the fact that identifiers count as PII under GDPR. Most people just accept this sort of thing or don't care.