Where is the adventure in Dual Universe?

Serula

Adventuring in Dual Universe

The forrest.... I love this place. And yet there is no reason for me to be here. I went here today looking for idea's and inspiration. It's a really nice place. Just to stand still, look around and listen. Everyone is in a hurry to gather resources as quickly as possible and amass fast amounts of quanta to become the best industry mogul or richest person in this universe. I've been there already. I've seen the numbers go up in many other games and it can work very well, to get people addicted. It's what many mobile games do. But it's not really what you want to do. You are compelled to do it. Having things is not fun, using things is and discovering and creating things or achieving something to a smaller degree. So why am I standing in this forrest? I know new trees and biomes are comming and I'm exited for it. But I fear it won't change much. We need something new and different. Something that triggers a more primal desire... discovery. When I stand here I feel like this is the place to be. This is where I will find something, and I did...

2021-01-18_(11).thumb.png.b8f0cae694c1fd8b19c2fef7a306f44d.png

I found a tree and a plant that I don't think I've ever seen. It might be the light though. I also found some T2 ore in seemingly higher concentration than outside the forrest. But that's about it.

1683763858_2021-01-18(10).png.0c5dd9daa7d2efa1e2164b268976d2e4.png1248023514_2021-01-18(9).png.8b93d747adbb6da86ca95d2889889b16.png

I want to walk around this place without a scanner and stumbple upon a rock that is really rare and expensive, relatively.

I want to find a rare tree, indicating there is a resource nearby that I can't scan for but may have to dig for.

I want to find a rare mushroom and sell it for quanta.

I want to climb a tree and gather berries, coconuts or catch a squirrel for a pet, it might be a rare color, and sell it or keep it myself.

I want to find a rare plant that is used as a component to make a different or better type of ammo.

I want to find a strange rock that turns out to be a golem that drops rare resources when I kill it.

I want to catch bees or butterflies with a net and have them as a pet.

I want to find a bee hive and risk my life trying to get it and sell it for quanta.

I want to hear the sound of crackling wood and discover that a tree just fell over nearly missing me as I jump away.

I want to get stuck in mud or quicksand and have to use my tool and a tree to get out.

I could probably go on for a while but I think you get the gist of it.

Caves... one of the most epic and scary things in the game. Yet there is nothing to be scared about.(I know this is not a real cave, use your imagination :))

2020-10-30.thumb.png.6e68eaf867679d55f84e58d8182df37e.png

When I discover a cave I expect some danger and reward.

I want to see a cave full of shiny crystals to harvest like surface material.

I want some of these crystals to be dangerous and look almost unnoticably different and shoot lightning at me.

I want to see seaweed in places or more alien plants that obstruct my vision in my attempt to look for things that might be hidden here.

I want to discover ancient seamonster skeletons I can gather and sell for quanta. (They don't have to exist and could just be extinct like dinosaurs)

I want to have to use a grappling hook or tractor beam to pull me to the ceiling where I see a patch of gems that would get destroyed using the dig tool and requires the use of the gather tool instead.

I want to see rocks falling from the ceiling that could crush me or they are a signal of more rocks following that could do that. The rockslide may have a small chance of exposing something but won't change the geometry.

Snow... I just want to be able to make snowballs and throw them at players to stun them for a second or make them fall over :) and have a fridge to store them in.1284271285_2021-01-19(1).thumb.png.8d1526876eb20a7de2421c6423b9ae1d.png

Been saying this for a while now myself and I am fully onboard with everything you suggest.

I do also think that everything you see should be 100% harvestable where the planets are just as harvestable as the rocks and new industries are created for various consumables which open the door for buff based talents to require/allow players to fill in talent gaps to do more in game would be a great start. I think that there should be grades to planets or some kind of timer to plants to change the model or grade to a larger plant so if you do harvest you get more or a better grade. With there being 5 sizes and also 1 type of planet in game for every single talent that there is.

Not only that but I think there should also exist a poisonous plant element on the flip side of the consumables which could be a male/female version of the plant but does harm rather than good to a consumable talent based buff system which takes/negates talents when harvested but adds a toxicity to perhaps the buff duration but is otherwise indestinguishable from the non poisonous version and even stacks with the regular version but adds hidden effects, vision filters, or debuffs to any consumable that you wont know till you buy / try it.

There should also be other types of planets that produce medical supplies like bandages to stop hp loss or bleeding dots or to just heal in general.

I would say if NQ ever adds a stamina bar instead of putting cooldowns on things like the maneuver tool and used stam with the weight of the ship or requiring you to eat some kind of stam refill consumable to bypass the CD with consumables or stam regen to cut the timer down.

I think everything in this game should have a purpose and be harvestable, potentially dangerous, random at times in terms of what you run across and not just how fast you can do the 100-500m dash to the next node.

1 hour ago, Sigtyr said:

Thanks, very well written. You would imagine there would be some "sense of wonder" in an SF game. But we are stuck with the "Sprawl creator" gameplay.

We are not at NMS level and i think we will never be anytime soon (2021).

I can only imagine the stress on server side.

Though there could be a solution, though players would have to be a little meh on it.

AI based off from an extended LUA function for devs only to run NPCs a certain way.

-It would reduce strain on server.

-Server would simply be watching HP of X and X instead of every tiny AI function.

I know it could be expanded on, just a suggestion for DEVs.