Soft Coding the Safe Zones

Context

So I had an idea concerning safe zones. Instead of hardcoding with no explanation why certain zones are safe why not have an in game explanation and mechanics enforcing a safe zone.

While there are many possibilities one could be as follows:

"Admin" controlled facilities would generate a shield around planets at a certain limit, thus mitigating damage beyond a certain point. Ships can still be targeted and shot at, but the shields would absorb all damage. Similarly there would be a sci-dampening field within the same area in which weapons can not be activated. Scanners can still target, but no weapon activation. (thus some limited testing can be performed in safe zones as well).

I just don't like the loss of immersion where for no explicable reason people can't attack other people in non-combat zones called safe zones (even though combat is the only PvP disabled and you are not remotely safe)

I would say that first any player should have the ability to:

• Turn on Environmental damage from PvP
  • Turn on dynamic core PvP damage
  • Turn on Static Core PvP Damage
  • Turn on restricted airspace and turn on damage to other players in your territory
  • Turn on the ability to choose a team, side, or sideless conditions.
  • Set different settings to any territory you own

If enough people do that it opens up the choice for scrims, races, TWs, Arenas, and battles to test ground based combat under different conditions.

OR give players who have land on any moon or planet to vote for those rulesets to be turned on/off if a majority want it.

2 hours ago, Warlander said:

I would say that first any player should have the ability to:

• Turn on Environmental damage from PvP
  • Turn on dynamic core PvP damage
  • Turn on Static Core PvP Damage
  • Turn on restricted airspace and turn on damage to other players in your territory
  • Turn on the ability to choose a team, side, or sideless conditions.
  • Set different settings to any territory you own

If enough people do that it opens up the choice for scrims, races, TWs, Arenas, and battles to test ground based combat under different conditions.

OR give players who have land on any moon or planet to vote for those rulesets to be turned on/off if a majority want it.

Or, we could just leave it as one ruleset for the whole game world rather then trying to turn territories into individual servers.

6 hours ago, Context said:

"Admin" controlled facilities would generate a shield around planets at a certain limit, thus mitigating damage beyond a certain point. Ships can still be targeted and shot at, but the shields would absorb all damage. Similarly there would be a sci-dampening field within the same area in which weapons can not be activated. Scanners can still target, but no weapon activation. (thus some limited testing can be performed in safe zones as well).

Something similar has been suggested, but if I remember right, and this is the part that fits perfectly for lore, the source of the control facilities is the Arkship which is controlled by the AI that first woke us, Aphelia.

25 minutes ago, Xennial said:

Or, we could just leave it as one ruleset for the whole game world rather then trying to turn territories into individual servers.

Moons and planets are micro servers that should have independent rulesets since mega orgs will own them and likely want their own independent laws and rulesets.

There are many practical implications for individual territories, moons/planets, and the solar system at large.

14 hours ago, Deintus said:

Something similar has been suggested, but if I remember right, and this is the part that fits perfectly for lore, the source of the control facilities is the Arkship which is controlled by the AI that first woke us, Aphelia.

WHy would the AI wake us up just so that we can kill ourselves, though? Creating a new civilizaion but not even bringing laws and police from the old one is Junior-high school level stupid...

Aphelia or whoever is AS not AI. The whole premise  of the lore of this game was thought up over several rounds of some stout beverages in a bar, taken down on the back of a napkin and hasn't been readdressed since.

36 minutes ago, Elitez said:

NQ said they want to players to play togheter I dont see how they can release another system pve only :) The safe zone is already HUGE! :) Lets not split our community into different instances!

Honestly I wish that there were instances.

Like all of a sudden some wormhole opens up for an event and is only open for 1 day/1week/1 month or whatever and it opens up to a solar system or mega planet and you get that much time to mine or fight over the resources. I think it should be longer than a day to give people a chance at it but also at the same time its full pvp anywhere. But could just as well be packed full of random or all ores, gems, and other goodies you cant get in our solar system.

At some point the wormhole will close. I think giving people a 24hr notice for last min efforts and the wormhole closes permanantly. If you make it through you live if you stay behind and dont make it you pretty much die and lose what is there since the distance would not allow you to travel back in your lifetime.

I think these types of instances should act as like a season out of Path of Evile/Crowfall in which you only get so long and its done.

I think the devs should use something like that through a legit wormhole season as a kind of test server for any new features to see how it plays out. If NQ KEPT their destructive elements system you could test new items and bring them back and if they blow up and are lost no big deal. But we need some new exploration and gold rush type of events along with full on pvp testbeds and this serves all of that purpose and more.

I also think we need instances in the form of a star gate type system where you can dial up other star gates and go there and either some kind of generated mission system sends you there or its just a network of other planets you cant travel to but at the same time you are bound to the surface or there is far too much magnetic storms and dangers that prevent you from leaving the planet. Perhaps for archaeology, research, exploration, or any other reason really.

1 hour ago, GraXXoR said:

WHy would the AI wake us up just so that we can kill ourselves, though? Creating a new civilizaion but not even bringing laws and police from the old one is Junior-high school level stupid...

Aphelia or whoever is AS not AI. The whole premise  of the lore of this game was thought up over several rounds of some stout beverages in a bar, taken down on the back of a napkin and hasn't been readdressed since.

I mean the discussion between players, not the bar napkin version from NQ.

Something along the lines as that is why the safezone existed in the first place was because the AS (or AI or whichever) had only enough power to make a few nearby planetary bodies safezones to prevent us from destroying one another because of our past as a species. If I remember right, the discussion was about Alioth and her moons being the only safezone. Although some players wanted larger safezones. Of course that meant no atmo safezones for any other planetary body which some didn't like.

Sorry Grax if I forget the details, I just wanted to mention it because it seemed to fit here. Im afraid I just don't care enough to look up or find the source.

I'm sure you've noticed, as new players come in, they repeat the exact same concerns and issues that have been here a long time now. I figured this is better than necroing an old thread.

21 minutes ago, Deintus said:

I mean the discussion between players, not the bar napkin version from NQ.

Something along the lines as that is why the safezone existed in the first place was because the AS (or AI or whichever) had only enough power to make a few nearby planetary bodies safezones to prevent us from destroying one another because of our past as a species. If I remember right, the discussion was about Alioth and her moons being the only safezone. Although some players wanted larger safezones. Of course that meant no atmo safezones for any other planetary body which some didn't like.

Sorry Grax if I forget the details, I just wanted to mention it because it seemed to fit here. Im afraid I just don't care enough to look up or find the source.

I'm sure you've noticed, as new players come in, they repeat the exact same concerns and issues that have been here a long time now. I figured this is better than necroing an old thread.

I see i derailed a bit there. my apologies. I completely agree with this above and yes, I"ve noticed the same issues pop up among the newer players repeatedly...