Why can we see land claims in PVP area?

Hazaatan

Anyone wonder why you can see land claims in PVP?   All that's going to do is make it easier for griefers, prates, and other corps to find you.  Once PVP opens there will be a climax battle over planets and territory.  2-3 big corporations will run things.  Then when the dust settles, any group trying to land claim in PVP will instantly get griefed, pirated, or taxed into oblivion. That will regulate everyone to the PVE zone.  I suspect that the big corporations will move to the PVE area to land grab and force people into a corporation or charge ridiculous prices for land.

I don't see sustainment in this game. With 2-3 big corporations running everything in such a small game, it will be unwelcoming to new players.  A new solar system will belong to the big corporations and they devour it like locusts...

Do you see a flourishing community after the initial climax of PVP?

I see you are somewhat new, and please don't take this as condescending, but you need to know the greater picture of everything at play.

1. Territories become exponentially (or geometrically?) more expensive to claim. I'm sure someone has done the math, but after about 1000 territories each one will cost hundreds of billions
  2. Big Corporations aren't out to kill "Everyone Else". Do you know how expensive it would be just to generate the ammo to be that kill hungry. People will be friendly to plenty of other people if just to conserve ammo to shoot other people.
  3. Diplomacy is real and so is back stabbing. Don't expect any group to remotely be able to dominate much at all in the larger scheme of things.
  4. If a big corporation is charging a lot of money to rent a sub-section of their hex, either A, they will provide protection for that higher price, or B you look around for a different group with a better price, that better price may mean they get wiped out by another faction charging more, or the bigger faction charged too much and not enough people rented off their land so they don't have enough money to stockpile ammo, and they die, your land owners then take more land. It's a part of the economy.

1 hour ago, Context said:

If a big corporation is charging a lot of money to rent a sub-section of their hex, either A, they will provide protection for that higher price, or B you look around for a different group with a better price, that better price may mean they get wiped out by another faction charging more, or the bigger faction charged too much and not enough people rented off their land so they don't have enough money to stockpile ammo, and they die, your land owners then take more land. It's a part of the economy.

This is a good point. I've seen a lot of players working on designs for cities and apartments. Right now setting up on another players/orgs tile doesn't offer many benefits beyond the social interaction, but renting out space from a larger group for protection makes a lot more sense when territory warfare comes around.

Alioth alone has ~260,000 territories. Even with 10,000 players there is too much there for it all to be claimed anytime soon. Every player that has ever played the game so far combined has only accounted for 10% of the hexes on Alioth. The PvP planets if and when PvP opens will be constantly changing ownership. I don't think it will be as big a problem as you think.

11 hours ago, fiddlybits said:

This is a good point. I've seen a lot of players working on designs for cities and apartments. Right now setting up on another players/orgs tile doesn't offer many benefits beyond the social interaction, but renting out space from a larger group for protection makes a lot more sense when territory warfare comes around.

It is inevitable for clean cut PvP focused groups to team up with economy focused groups. I could even see some people really good at playing markets and earning tons of money solo hiring a small merc group just to protect their PvP area assets. Successful long term pirates will either, mine all their own resources, or become privateers, paid to ignore a government groups stuff, and their affiliates, and pay bonus loot for targeting enemy groups. Just take what happens in other older games somewhat similar to DU and split the difference with RL history. The more free form our options the more like reality it will be. The more restricted by game rules the more like old boring arcade games it will be like. For example, since the safe zones are hard coded, interaction and tactics will be very arcade like.

13 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

Anyone wonder why you can see land claims in PVP?   All that's going to do is make it easier for griefers, prates, and other corps to find you.  Once PVP opens there will be a climax battle over planets and territory.  2-3 big corporations will run things.  Then when the dust settles, any group trying to land claim in PVP will instantly get griefed, pirated, or taxed into oblivion. That will regulate everyone to the PVE zone.  I suspect that the big corporations will move to the PVE area to land grab and force people into a corporation or charge ridiculous prices for land.

I don't see sustainment in this game. With 2-3 big corporations running everything in such a small game, it will be unwelcoming to new players.  A new solar system will belong to the big corporations and they devour it like locusts...

Do you see a flourishing community after the initial climax of PVP?

I share your view on this since the planets and moons are the real prizes and they arent set up to be sustainable since you might have T1-5 or like T1-T3-T5 mats on the same planet but no real means to sustain a long war. Once mega orgs take over the top planets and cut off top tier tech or graded items its pretty much game over until the 2nd most powerful org can no longer produce that tech and gets steamrolled and the top mega org just goose steps down the planetary line down the Tiers and controls everything with no equals. Its just the natural order of how that will go.

Since planets dont have everything they need on planet to be self sustainable to some degree as I think planets should have exclusive abundant resources but also that they should have some basic amount of everything with more random variety between moons or planets so that a war can actually be fairly waged and balanced so that 1 org cant reliably cut off whole tech trees and their grades.

Or that owning a planet is basically just becoming the government of that planet with a voting system of rulesets on that planet where the controlling mega org is bound by law to the citizens/residents of the planet if they are part of the org or not and more of a temporary land lord than a warlord. Where other systems of planetary governments also are part of a forum or solar system set of laws that each planet can come into conflict over if it deviates from the solar senate.

But that the ruling org of a planet can set zoning, taxes, put of a vote to declare war, evict people, or use their numbers as leverage in votes but still giving everyone that lives there a vote. Since the ruling org is a temporary landlord in the cosmic game of musical chairs it does not mean that citizens wont be targeted in cosmic wars it just means that all the ruling orgs territory and infrastructure needs to be destroyed to claim the planet. But I do feel as though there should be OTUs or organization territory units that claim a cluster of 7 tiles at once or larger zones, districts, regions that cost 10s to hundreds of millions to claim vast areas at once with wherever you drop it. If a tile in it is claimed then it should be at a loss or pick another random tile around it.

But with all things considered pvp is a trainwreck, it will continue to be a train wreck for a long time to come and kill off more players then incentivize them to fight rather than quit when they lose everything in a non stop mega zerg once the taining wheels come off.