secret event

Underhook

Hi NQ.

I bet its a bit of work to put these events together.

Maybe, when you launch an event, you could let the players know.

I was looking through the forum to see if I could find the latest patch notes (which I could not) and I came across a post about an event which launched a few days ago.

I'm sure you put a message in game when you launched it (like you apparently did last time).  However,  I'm in bed at 3am.

Could you please make it so such messages appear when we log in.

I feel sure that you would like the other half of your player base to know when you have launched an event.

I bet there are currently many players who still don't know its even on.

They just need to build a script to generate and run events like anomolies, wormholes, hot zones, gold rushes, crash sites, and make that the mission system. Where there is always multiple things going on to keep enguaged in.

If say the only way to spawn more ore is to select a group of tiles and create a gold rush for players in a safe zone they could just as easily open up a random hot zone for pvp that selects a region of tiles and flag pvp or drop some kind of base to assault using the auto firing turrets from the large planet TU restricted air space and make content that is too good to pass up. Like dropping an NPC armada

Beyond that its just a mindless riot instead of militaries going at it with industries and gathering networks working together and enough incentive and push to make it work or the space to facilitate opposing empires.

Folks, come one, you have to be in the super secret "provide advance information for values players list".

A disappointed player might notice how only person who got an email has an "Alpha Tester" badge but that is purely coincidence, there is definitely no preferential subgroup of players in this community, that would be a pure nonsense, won't it?

15 hours ago, Warlander said:

They just need to build a script to generate and run events like anomolies, wormholes, hot zones, gold rushes, crash sites, and make that the mission system. Where there is always multiple things going on to keep enguaged in.

This is by far the best suggestion i've seen.

Also, it was posted on discord when it happened, which is always there. better than emails imo.

5 minutes ago, Tacticaldonut said:
15 hours ago, Warlander said:

I agree, even if the rewards were small, more frequent popup events would be good content drivers. They could be spread across the safe zone and pvp space as well with different rewards based on the risk.

11 minutes ago, fiddlybits said:

I agree, even if the rewards were small, more frequent popup events would be good content drivers. They could be spread across the safe zone and pvp space as well with different rewards based on the risk.

I just thought that devs learned like 15 years ago that doing hand crafted events were a waste of development time and resources when they could just script things like every other game these days does and doubly so in a game that is pretty much based on scripting bots...

22 minutes ago, Tacticaldonut said:

Also, it was posted on discord when it happened, which is always there. better than emails imo.

I got both email and discord when it dropped. Im just saying there are better ways to do events going forward :)

2 minutes ago, Warlander said:

I just thought that devs learned like 15 years ago that doing hand crafted events were a waste of development time and resources when they could just script things like every other game these days does and doubly so in a game that is pretty much based on scripting bots...

Whether curated events are a waste depends on the game. There are some niche games that have GM interaction as a common element and it can be a lot of fun. Often it includes more roleplay elements like NPC interaction though. I agree that for puzzle type events procedural generation is more common and scales better. Hopefully they are building the tools through these initial events to make similar events more common. Especially in the current state of the game where injecting more content and excitement would be really beneficial.

2 hours ago, xplosivesheep said:

Folks, come one, you have to be in the super secret "provide advance information for values players list".

A disappointed player might notice how only person who got an email has an "Alpha Tester" badge but that is purely coincidence, there is definitely no preferential subgroup of players in this community, that would be a pure nonsense, won't it?

They announced the event on twitter which has 260 million or so users.  That's a pretty big subgroup.

The post here on the forums was at 12:45pm (MTN) on the 12th.  The tweet went out at 2pm.  I got the email at 8pm  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you aren't getting the emails go to https://www.dualuniverse.game/ and enter you email at the bottom of the page where it says Subscribe to our Newsletter.

The game definitely needs a welcome screen when you log in, to announce stuff like this too.  Maybe a "message of the day" in text chat.

2 hours ago, fiddlybits said:

Whether curated events are a waste depends on the game. There are some niche games that have GM interaction as a common element and it can be a lot of fun. Often it includes more roleplay elements like NPC interaction though. I agree that for puzzle type events procedural generation is more common and scales better. Hopefully they are building the tools through these initial events to make similar events more common. Especially in the current state of the game where injecting more content and excitement would be really beneficial.

I do think it is a waste of time in the "beta" (read "alpha") stage.

Of all the many things to fix and implement, events should be near the bottom of the list. 

It's also a waste of time based on the YouTube views for the video...4,000 people watched the video. 

So...why are they doing this, exactly? For a few hardcores? For free press that gets less than 5,000 views? For JC's obsession with Ready Player One style events...? 

Very unlikely that even minor effort to put together the email and video is worth it for this level of engagement. 

(Edit: to compare, Satisfactory put out an announcement about gases earlier today; their 3 minute video has over 30,000 views -- and they are a single player game without a sub, so...people that say that DU is dying aren't pulling it out of thin air. Just ask the on-average 40-50 people online at any time in DU's reddit lol -- even for a single player game the engagement is abysmal) 

I just find it pecular that NQ does not even have the tools to send out announcments at one time. They could use Zapier which to a large expent is free and has and/if/or statments and has twitter/discord/redit/youtube/facebook/email deployment that is simultanious for announcments. Its just one tool of many out there.

But in the end the events like dropping 4 salvagable ships or this golden ship event are pretty much non existant exents that took time to craft and build up for a minimal amount of participation is certainly a waste when if they really wanted PvP events they would just open up a region to a hotzone and then drop a huge ore deposit in the center to fight over and that would actually be an event imo. They could do it on any planet or all planets at the same time if they wanted to stir things up. A couple of ships hidden in the solar system is not much of an event.

Its basically personal handouts from JC to his personal megaorg friends since if there is a such a huge discrepency in announcements from twitter/discord/emails it only benefits those who get it first rather than poping up a screen like the daily log in reward they could just as well do the same with events that are coming up instead of missing an email or letting twitter get first dibs hours before anyone else.