Would you rather play on a PvE or PvP server?

Warlander

Watching the forums over the last couple of months show more than one division in the community. As a matter of fact, it appears there is far less angst between the community itself now than when I first jumped in. Most frustration and anger has been directed at NQ devs and not individuals.

Why should I financially support a pve server with my former pledge when NQ told me there will only be one server that will have pvp? (Eventually,... Maybe) I didn't put my money where my mouth is back then, before the pre-alpha phase, for the company to do this now. And if they think about such a crap, then they should first fulfil their current game including the kickstarter promise. 

On 1/24/2021 at 4:59 AM, Elitez said:

There is no reason to split the community. AS you know there are tons of safe zones.

As much as you all bought into a PvP game its a building & crafting game at its core. Thats the demographic they are brining in. If PvP were a thing people would be doing it. And so NQ punishes the building and crafting people who make PvP possible. If this were a PvP game people would be building bases for PvP but they arent. They are building for everything else but PvP. Sure the Industrialists are but nobody wants to fight because they are trapped behind PvE Roles for the next 6 years of Exp locks. Most people dont seem interested in PvP in general in DU or run from it with warps. This aint a PvP game and adding disruptors wont solve the core issue that it is not a PvP game. The few actual PvP orgs will clean house when TWs hit but that will be short lived and everyone else will go back to building anything else but non-pvp based structures.

I created this thread to guage a response to having a solar system to free up the game from all the massive structures, platforms, and just junk clogging up the server. I dont think NQ even knows what to do with it and it just bogs down the server. Sure optimization will help but this game might not be able to handle large scale invasions and hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players defending.

Had NQ not had created the president of having any kind of safe zones from the start so that only Alioth and the 3 moons were safe I would be incluned to agree that people would have been forced to adapt and actually add pvp talents to their Que to survive but I am sure that is not even in peoples minds for about 60-75% of peoples thinking since they are forced into PvE instead of PvP.

PvP should always be an option in this game no matter what. NQ has their roles mixed up with jobs. The combat tree needs to be its own Talent tab and the other roles need to be its own tab for jobs. Each need to have their own Exp Pools and Exp per min. If EVERYONE had talents for both PvP and a Job they like to do then there would likely be more PvP but there isnt.

You could make the case too that we ditch this PvE server and create a real PvP server with no protections whatsoever outside the market tiles as the only safe zones. Since this server is a PvE server. The only thing missing to making this a full PvE is making space non combat and only flagging PvP during TWs between flag football orgs.

As much as you might think im trying to have an additional PvE server I am actually for an actual PvP server. This IS the PvE server you are playing on...

• 9 months later...

I dont understand why we have this forced pvp other then a way to add pvp content.  If a player doesnt want pvp its still required of them to leave the protection of pve to mine the T5 ore. There is really no reason we dont have a pvp/pve toggle so that both kinds of players can enjoy all the content on all the planets. Simply toggle pve/pvp choice and cant change it for a set amount of time. Its really that simple. Other games do this and it works well.

23 minutes ago, Nasaman_Warrior said:

I dont understand why we have this forced pvp other then a way to add pvp content.  If a player doesnt want pvp its still required of them to leave the protection of pve to mine the T5 ore. There is really no reason we dont have a pvp/pve toggle so that both kinds of players can enjoy all the content on all the planets. Simply toggle pve/pvp choice and cant change it for a set amount of time. Its really that simple. Other games do this and it works well.

That argument is almost as dead as this thread.

PvE implies there's some sort of adversarial environment to play against.  At the moment there isn't really anything particularly hostile -- you can literally jetpack from planet to planet without running out of oxygen, you need no food, no fall damage, you can float behind a running space engine, etc.  Ships don't leak air, etc.  Pretty much the only challenge is not crashing your ship.  I'm pretty sure that NQ don't have the resources to implement any sort of E to play against at the moment, be it NPCs, creatures, survival elements or even space whales (personally I want space whale hunting to be a thing!).  So that leaves a choice of PvP or easy mode carebear themepark.

PvP for me.

From what I can tell the PVE group outnumbers the PVP bunch 10-1.   Most of them are not as vocal as the PVP players tho.   That is what makes most of these games look like "everyone wants PVP"    My vote would be full PVE with AI enemies, maybe they can add dedicated PVP zones.  This would be far better to me.  With the way some PVP players use those exploits It completely turned it off for me and most everyone else I used to play with.  

On 1/25/2021 at 1:05 PM, Warlander said:

As much as you all bought into a PvP game its a building & crafting game at its core. Thats the demographic they are brining in. If PvP were a thing people would be doing it...

NQ has made more that enough consessions to the "I no want pewpew" part of the playerbase and frankly, has yet to really address the issues surrounding PVP.

DU is not a building and crafting game at it's core, it is a game where all of its pillars _should_ be equally represented. There is no single "central" pillar around which everything else is built. So while I will counter anyone claiming this is a PVP game, a the same time I will do the same when someone claims it's centric around another one of the game's pillars.

Just becasue at present the remaining playerbase is largely focussed on building and design, that does not mean NQ can or should ignore everything else. In fact, without NQ addressing PVP, getting to the point where safezones can be lifted (except for the massive Alioth/Madis/Thades triangle which they for some reason commited to maintaining). This game is incomplete and IMO remain non functional without proper PVP incentives which include both the options to engage in pewpew and the options to avoid/counter then and/or minimize the risk of engagments being fatal to justify the risk vs the reward.

In other words, NQ needs to start actually designing the game, bringing the separate mechanics together and do so before they even consider DU to be ready for "release". Right  now i's all just loose sand.

I always considered DU a Civ, Empire and alliance building game.  I was shocked when finally I logged in to see the addition of so many safe zones.  I thought Sanct was the only one.  Ok I get the PvP is broken thus they slapped something together but no DU to me was always supposed to be this empire building game.

Let me design and build a ship I can have fun PVping in and I'll go PvP all the way (my first online game was Jumpgate - hello to anyone that knows what that is)

Unfortunately, what we have here is a mockery of PvP.

I can't built a single decent small ship without having to resort to using the remote control, and that has always felt like a cheat to me.

A standard seat should be able to support at least 2 guns, radar(s) and whatever other basic systems are needed.

Add more seats for more stuff, by all means. But let me build at least a basic ship.

Also, it would be nice to have booster modules to give more processing capacity to ships; wants more weapons (or whatever) add more tech to support it. It's not like the game can't support it. It's just a weird design decision.

What exists at the moment is too restrictive. Not everyone wants or has the benefit of multi-crewing a ship. The feature is nice to have, but it should not be the default option. 

There is literally no PvE right now -- there's no "environment" to be against....so there's no point in a PvE server, because there would be no conflict. Games without conflict are not really games, they are building tools or sandboxes. 

That said, there's not much point to a PvP server, either -- PvP is only barely implemented and is still so rough, clunky, and poorly balanced no serious PvP gamer will find the appeal, here.

This is one of the few games where even watching PvP is so insanely boring there's no point streaming. 

What they really need is to implement either PvP or PvE in a complete, engaging, and clean way.  

On 11/8/2021 at 4:40 AM, Jake Arver said:

NQ has made more that enough consessions to the "I no want pewpew" part of the playerbase and frankly, has yet to really address the issues surrounding PVP.

DU is not a building and crafting game at it's core, it is a game where all of its pillars _should_ be equally represented. There is no single "central" pillar around which everything else is built. So while I will counter anyone claiming this is a PVP game, a the same time I will do the same when someone claims it's centric around another one of the game's pillars.

Just becasue at present the remaining playerbase is largely focussed on building and design, that does not mean NQ can or should ignore everything else. In fact, without NQ addressing PVP, getting to the point where safezones can be lifted (except for the massive Alioth/Madis/Thades triangle which they for some reason commited to maintaining). This game is incomplete and IMO remain non functional without proper PVP incentives which include both the options to engage in pewpew and the options to avoid/counter then and/or minimize the risk of engagments being fatal to justify the risk vs the reward.

In other words, NQ needs to start actually designing the game, bringing the separate mechanics together and do so before they even consider DU to be ready for "release". Right  now i's all just loose sand.

Keep telling yourself that.

Lol DU via JC and even now still caters to PvP pretty much until he got shitcanned and still they are doing more for pvp than any part of the game and it still sucks and they still dont have a clue what to do about it. 

Why PvP after this coming update when all you need to do is enguage in Player vs Economy and have mega orgs just not buy and sell on the market for like 6 months and just siege the market and turn DU into some kind of Repo man / Jawa scavenver sim when everyone defaults on their taxes, runs out of gas/space gas, and cant survive on 10% or less of the ore per month for boxes of ore per tile? 

Sure when warp cells became potentially 100k per liter there would be PvP but its going to take months to get enough to even justify moving ore. And once you lose hundreds of millions per ship or you see this update for what it is to fleece people for subs for minimal UBI to do anything meaningful in-game people are going to move on anyways.

They are going to kneecap both miners and industrialists in this patch as is and if mega orgs go the eco-warfare route they will also end up knee capping pilots if the gas runs out and you cant run missions to pay for tiles and default on taxes.  Its pretty much game over at that point.

Without mining and just doing VR based missions all day what do you think people are going to do waiting 35 hours for charges all youll be able to do is build. 

So yeah, it IS a PvE game at this point. All DU does at this point is chase their tail trying to fix all their shotty game design they should have seen coming from the start.

I still laugh thinking about their Vlog and the defeated tone in their voices like they are breaking the news that they killed our puppy but 100-200L per hour somehow makes up for the 4+ L containers you could mine per day somehow makes up for the massive drop in resources unless you can keep 100+ tiles going to make up for the performance boost by now forcing players or mega orgs to own whole planets to make up for it with hundreds of thousands of more elements in TUs and mining rigs along with cores is somehow a good idea. And the icing on the cake is its supposed to somehow drive people to do 10x more work to replace "A tedius grind" that was mining. Lol Wut?

Keep telling yourself this is a PvP game. The minuite they turn on FFA PvP this game is over anyways so we should just do it and get this party started while it lasts. At this rate this game has about 1 year left as is.

57 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Keep telling yourself this is a PvP game.

I never have called it that and it seems you either did not read or did not understand my previous response at all.