Currency - The Carbon Standard

Sparktacus

So, I was doing some mining recently, and noted that the price of Coal had dropped through the floor at my local market, as all the bot sell orders had been fulfilled. Not a major issue, I just flew to a market where there was still a decent price.

What I did notice however, is that the buy offers for materials are wildly variable, and often very low even by comparison to the "Normal" bot buy rates.

Over time, that will stabilise, but it did give me an idea of how we can speed that up.

Real world, currency used to be based on a fixed value of a given material, generally Gold Or Silver, which helped provide a basis of transaction. People could agree if something was worth more or less than Gold/Silver, and things could be valued against that. Over time, when coins started to be made of things other than precious metals, the nation minting the currency guaranteed the non-precious coins against a certain quantity of the precious material (Silver in the UK, hence Pound Sterling).

That all got abandoned in the real world over time, as the value of money became more broadly agreed on.

We're still in a very young market, with a currency who's value is still being established. If NQ were to implement a currency standard, I reckon that would really help get the market running smoothly.

The way I see that working would be:

1. NQ decide on a material, and a value. (I'd suggest a T1 Material, as it's something everyone will be able to lay hands on, and have a use for.)
  2. Aphelia will then buy and sell that material (and that material ONLY) at that rate, from a dedicated market at the Arkship (or close by)
  3. All other Bot buy/sells are then either removed, or not refreshed when they're fulfilled.

What do people think?