Talemai LOCKDOWN

JohnnyTazer

13 minutes ago, jupppo said:

Stop whining. Warping is part of the game and it is expensive with a lot of freight. That whole Talemai claim is nonsense. You do not even to come close to have enough ships. Today I easly made it back to Alioth with 1600kL without using Warp. You are trying to intimidate other players to pay your "Mafia Fee". But in order to do that you should have some more an better ships that it doesnt look like a sandbox play ?

I think he might be a roleplayer, TBH.  Elite Dangerous has a few characters like him. Lot's of talk, very little in the wedding tackle department.

3 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

You're completely discounting the 70+ years of relative peace after the war where we have seen unparalleled advances in science and technology, privatised space travel, medical breakthroughs.
So many major mathematical and scientific breakthroughs were made during peace time and only a few were coopted for war (missiles, poisons, biological weapons and nukes)... The vast majority of breakthroughs were made outside of war or even despite war, not because of it.

Sorry, completely inaccurate. There was never peace since world war two. If the super powers were not in direct competition of creating better tech than the other, they were meddling in the conflicts of smaller countries. Arms race is a constant today.

Your computer and the internet it is on has it's origins from war. Just because later on, enlightened or educated types took the results (such as DARPA net) and used it differently (the web) does not mean that it did not originate from military experiments in instant comms.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:54 PM, jupppo said:

You are trying to intimidate other players to pay your "Mafia Fee". But in order to do that you should have some more an better ships that it doesnt look like a sandbox play ?

You know that I am not among the guys imposing the blockade but one that was actually fighting them(and others who were fighting them) right ?

12 hours ago, Deintus said:

Your computer and the internet it is on has it's origins from war. Just because later on, enlightened or educated types took the results (such as DARPA net) and used it differently (the web) does not mean that it did not originate from military experiments in instant comms.

You mean ARPANET (Yes, it was funded by a DARPA, later renamed ARPA and then back to DARPA under Clinton... but the network's name was ARPANET). The Advanced Reasearch Projects Agency Network, which came out of a desire for a network with the express ability to be able to route around "outages" (cutely metaphorical word for being nuked, which allowed them to unlock federal funding), when in reality it was more the fact that electronics were so unreliable that they needed a way to ensure that the network remained operational even if some blown transistors rendered a node inoperable.

It became, in effect, a drive to create an automated, digital version of the telephone network which at the time consisted of patchboards and switched operated by human switchboard staff.

By the end of the fifties, it was still limited to just four disparate machines and in order to expand beyond the original four computers, DARPA enlisted the help of various universities and research labs. Research laboratories and universities of course saw the need for reliable exchange information and federal funds were made available for them to research packet switching and proto TCP/IP which is the basis of modern  TCP/IP today which was finally introduced around 1969 and the first "customer" nodes were attached to the network soon thereafter. The concept of routing protocols and redundancy was also addressed during this period.

By the early 70s, many top universities in the US were connected and the first international connection was completed in or around 1973 to the UCL (University College, London)...

Again, it seems you are under another common misapprehension. This time you're stating that civilian interaction with ARPANET was them basically creating the World Wide Web on top of ARPANET and conflating the WWW with the internet, when in fact the first civilian interactions were 20 years prior, in 1969 or thereabouts and used to share proto-emails, later file transfer and still later, just before the WWW, concepts like FTP and Gopher.

So, it's a stretch to say that war created the internet when it was basically created by universities and private institutes, to all intents and purposes.
It's like saying that the first car was actually a horse drawn carriage... Which, to an extent is true... I guess...

This is somewhat different to NASA, which was very active during the Cold War and was a centrally, coldwar focused body of research. NASA's many projects were indeed focussed on military prowess and technical prowess in general and surely wouldn't have succeeded to the extent they did without the competition from the USSR.

But, see, that is as I mentioned in a previous post: Competition. Which is healthy.. Neither the US nor the USSR engaged in actual direct war... nuclear or otherwise. And after the collapse of the USSR and until Putin, relations with East Europe had been fairly stable.

I'll give you ENIAC, though, which was designed for ballistic calculations and later used for simulating nuclear weapons... But that wasn't really a generally programmable device in the modern sense because it required massive rewiring for each problem...

Real computers were developed separately, after the war once regular business resumed and things calmed down.
Truly programmable computers with punch cards and optical tape were invented that, while not as fast as ENIAC were actually useful for general purpose tasks... Again, a rather separate branch with separate purposes.
ENIAC was more like an FPGA than a "real" computer, in that it could only solve a single problem at a time and it was more like an uncle than a father to modern computing in that respect.

I could go on, since this is the sort of stuff I wrote a dissertation on at the end of the 90s.

You have a few good points, and are correct that it was ARPANET... I was going off memory because I lived it, I didn't google details.

However my orginal point I stay behind regardless of details. There has not been one year that went by since 1939 that had no war.. or "conflict" if you wish to split hairs. And not one major piece of technology that has reached consumers during this time as either a direct result of military research or funding, even if it spun off for supposed peaceful purposes.

Computers, cell phones, internet, tablets, everything spun out of military research. War is far, far more than guns.

I want to express my gratitude to the ATOM organization that agreed to participate in this PvP event on January 16, as well as to all RU community organizations that wrote to me in PM and wished to join our side in this battle. I want to thank BOO, because without you it would be very difficult for us.

RUSC REDA were on the one side with BOO and HVC.

Organizations that flew under RUSC REDA* tag:
1. DESQ - Delta Squadron
2. INFS - Infinitus
3. SMC - StalcerMEX Company
4. OPG - Organized Pirate Group
5. IRNS - Iron Sleeves (event organizer)

*REDA - Red Alert (one of the alliances of the RU community)

ANH - Anarchy (another RU community organization)
Anarchy decided to fight against everyone in this battle xD

It so happened that most of the RU community organizations at this event were from the Red Alert. Therefore, it was decided to use this REDA tag in this battle.