(Discussion) What do you feel is holding DU back?

Warlander

I have seen hundreds of AAA/indie studios promise the next new cutting edge tech awesome whatever whatever but either deviate from their own vision or fail to produce what they claimed was their vision if they even get far enough to make it to launch. Indie studios have the most at stake and once we get the physical development of what they promised initially turns out like nothing they wanted to create.

"Hey bro want to play a job"?

I dont, I want to PLAY a game. There is NO reason to add grind if you simply make experiences that are hard and not grindy, sinked up, or gated by just about every trick I have seen over the last 20 years. I wouldnt need so much grind if they simply had super abundant resource seeds like their should be and make it as hard as possible to mine the resources. Not because of teritory wars ganking. Not because you decided to shut my industry down because your talent system is jacked and outdated, but because there are so many environmental hazards that prevent me from mining that I can go to any spot in the planet and mine as much as I want from 1 tile and not 200km to fill up 10 L containers.

If there was wind, eriosion, heat, cold, oxigen, npcs, radioactive water tables, visual imperments (rain), poisonous gases, toxic spills from crash sites, asteroids, mining tunnel collapses, earthquakes, and all the rest of the environmental factors that would otherwise make the game harder to justify abundant resources to keep mining slowed down enough to require a pilot worth a damn.

For example if I were to head to jumpiter to mine some sort of gas or if there was some kind of material that compries the core of the gas planet I would have to somehow land in 380mph winds. If this was in du you would have to consider max lift or purposely designing a ship that was heavy enough to counter those winds that would perpetually keep my ship flying since the sustained lift would need to be higher then the wind speed. But that I would also have to be required to face cross winds, up/down drafts, head/tail winds throwing my huge ship around trying to land. Or a magnetic field to the planet that makes scanners intermittant. Visually impaired by the huge storm. And if I am good enough I could land on the surface.

At which point the moment I step outside my ship I need to breath oxigen, I need to get out of the wind and hope the gusts dont get high enough to cause my ship to suddehit the min sustained threshold and fly away or smash into something and explode. I need to mine out a shelter for me and my ship and put down a static core to keep erosion to keep my ship or me from taking damage even before I can think about mining. I need to secure my start first to stay long enough to mine. Once that is accomplished I need to worry about staying inside or underground when the sun goes down. I need mining bits to make things more efficient for the ore im there for. I have to deal with magnetic anomolies which suggest massive deposits that jump all over the place. I need to make honeycom to keep the tunnels I create from collapsing but require no static unit to put down. I have to potentially deal with radioactive elements, magma chambers, falling to my death, or needing a vehicle to mine because the water table is liquid nitrogen.

But once you get to the ore it isnt just 4kl, its whole 25kmx50kl coal seams, its massive gold deposits straddling those seams, its the 7 tile cluster that is a limestone quarry, or that granite is like 5km deep and has more bountiful mats the further you go down. Or that the core is made of 10km thick super dense super abundant pyrite. The point is the danger is met with the reward of survival and that even if you go there you know the danger can be extreme when all facters point the gun at you, but that getting that ore cant be done by just anyone and that each planet adds more and more difficulty layers the further out in the solar system you get. There should be planets that are far too extreme to gather materials there and if you do its worth the hassle. Not because NQ hates me playing solo or in small groups and adds tons of grind and hassle, time/credit sinks, or content gates for no reason, but because the game is hard to justify making everything abundant.

I dont think NQ needs to go crazy on gear but I do think there should be a suit for all the different environmental dangers like radiation suits, heat insultated suits, cold insulated suits, flight suits, mining exoskeletons, industry suits, and a general resistance system that forces you to be prepared for anything and if you dont bring it on your space oregon trail experience with the proper supplies to finish your task then you will simply die.

And lastly if it was hard to get to the ore, hard to mine the abundant ore, and there were crashes and no way to get to the wreck if it was due to environmental dangers and immediate salvage was not possible then there are actual wrecks under real conditions to go salvage that also might lead you to your death if you arent careful. The danger should be the difficulty of progression not the grind tredmill of punishment for no reason.

Mostly because you will need tons of throw away vehicles because you will crash, you will die, and you will lose ships. So you need TONS of resources on the easier planets to throw away even before you consider the ships you will also need to throw away in pvp. You will need abundant mats for huge battles. You will need abundant resources for 10 years potential of non stop conflict and environmental losses to occur.

You will also need factions to streamline all the gank centered small scale scraps and put people in a main starter faction people are born into and cannot attack people due to some kind of implant people are given on birth. If you have a faction of allies who cant turn on you then you have a foundation to build something on. If you have a faction you are allowed to work on your terms rather than some mega org rading guild you have no choice to work for rather than tons of guilds working together towards a common goal TOGETHER instead of everyone being an enemy from the start and being picked off by solo predators preying on inexperience and grief loops.

NQ needs to have a Duel Solar System approach so that you have enough room to build an empire grow, build industries, build bases, fortifications, ship factories, logistics chains, infrastructure, and most of all government. If There should be some kind of buffer solar system to build up into and fight over until it spills over into the other factions solar system from the buffer solar system. Players can leave the main factions by removing their implant and lose access to markets and are killable by both sides for the ability to become a space pirate or syndicate rather than org.

If the enemies are clearly defined into two major players with a handfull of pirate or rogue factions it comes down to defense which would be some kind of police force that keeps players busy doing patrol missions, helping people against syndicate activity or PvP backup anti pk mechanics in their home solar system and a military side of the game that colonizes and expands into the other solar systems. The missions should be given by the faction for the best gigs that are paid by the faction. To expand or do things that aid and bring in more people and roles as the overall empire expands.

I dont think there should be any declarations of war since we already know we are at war. Both sides can sue for peace for periods but after that is over its back to war. Those wars should not require anything but just the ability to get there with enough supplies and people to get a foothold or to break a mass blocade. But if you are an opposing side you are fair game anywhere at any time including their Homeworlds.

But pretty much since this game is driven on buy/sell bots it should be made to be the faction that is buying all that stuff up, then putting out work orders to make parts/ ships, and then giving those to people to accomplish a mission with the company vehicle per-se. So warships, freighter, police vehicles, and everything required for infrastructure, attack, defense, or fortifications is all paid for and streamlined to get people mining, working, and fighting for actual fun reasons or to build friendships, and squadrons rather than hyena gankers.

The other thing to keep in mind that does not need to reinvent the wheel is how classes & professions simply work in MMOs regardless of genre. You have a main class like a warrior, mage, fighter pilot, miner, or pilot as your main class and then your profession which further reinforces the class you have chosen. In this game you have the professions as classes with only one combat role when it should be a sepperation of church and state since Crafting is a necessary quality of life function in this game.

We need Miner, Pilot, and Fighter pilot to be the only roles with Miner/refiner, Pilot/mechanic, and figherpilot/Engineer as the Profession roles and thats it. No overcomplicated I can fight and you cant kind of thing everyone needs to be able to both fight and craft so that they can fight in the first place. If you want to turn that into a business that should not be a crime no matter how small scale or large that is. The devs should not be alienating or singlling out different mmo player groups they dont like as much as they should be embracing the way people like to play and giving us reaons to fight rather than the weak ganklock chaos they have developed.

If im in a faction it does not matter if NQ sudden spawns a 25kmx25km super node for a gold rush event and this mega quarry can support thousands of miners all working for the faction to advance their own progression along with the greater progression if the government faction is sending everyone on a mission there to collect that ore to build ships to fight if it all goes to the same place at the end to facilitate the desire and comradery to destroy the syndicates and rival faction.

Or that in the middle of this huge war they can throw in an alien armada to stop the conflict or some kind of rotating group of galactic enemies out of stelaris or skyforge where robots, creatures, and other things have a timer set for impending invasions. This game would also be cool if it was like XCom in many ways for planetary defense and research with an escalating alien/robot/creature assault where it starts with probes, then scouts, then drop ships, corvettes, frigates, captial ships, and motherships similar to the balaur from Aion. The devs should use some of the auto pilot scripts in the community and apply it to npc ships. With the automining bot it could be fairly robust if they keep adding to an all round npc functionality of mining, piloting, and fighterpilot, or market access. Obviously crashes and things will happen but adding more salvagable ship parts and things is not a bad thing either.

Organizations need real hard finite limits brought down on them with population limits that force people into more orgs even if they have to make sister orgs they can still ally with up to 4 other orgs. For too long they have been given the keys to the game and drove this game into the ground for everyone else with what they were allowed to amass up till now. An org should have to choose what role they want to play in a faction with miner, crafter, freight, or pvp with 1 additional org they want to add or 2 miner slots since you certainly need more miners than you need industry. OR a building type org that will be required to build bases or fortifications for the faction to pull them more into the game. This pop limit should be 100 players with talents to potentially increase the number to 100. The population is disperportionate and needs to be spread out rather than funneled into someone elses idea of how you should play vs how you actually want to play in the time you have each day and the choice to participate in factions rather than it being forced upon you by some kind of space raiding guild with no insurance or 401k plans.

The peote vision they started with has failed and their understanding of MMOs really shows in their work and how modern day players actually play instead of reinventing the wheel in an industry and niche-niche-niche-niche market they chose. Its supposed to be based on skill with a game like this but it is made for grind, sink, and gates because they have no content in a sandbox that is supposed to be made so that we have tools to make the content so they dont have to with modular things that we can use to build with on our own terms beyond environmental, player driven, and limitations of the parts to make things happen during progressing being the game instead of waiting 10 years to really be able to do anything you might have wanted to start when you first joined because of bad game design that is unnecessary in the first place if they knew what they were doing vs what they chose to do with their time and money.

We need a new vision. It has failed spectacularly hard on all aspects outside the PvC genre they are pioneering. Not the epic PvP game they set out to create and again failed spectacularly hard at. Their core concept is short sighted and ametur from an unproven untested indie stuido who has to prove they have what it takes to pull this off. It has a solid foundations but the body style and point are terrible to a large majority of people who would otherwise love to play this game. I know I have for years and it is what brought me in but at this rate im not sure how long ill be playing if at all by the time launch hits with this unpaid job I play or that I am paying them to play this unpaid job instead of a truely fun entertaining game it could become.

We are quickly reaching the point of no return in terms of NQ changing direction to save their game or the damage they are doing to the reputation of their game right now that will not be solved by throwing money at the problem when this game has likely been written off already by those who tried it. Its not looking good unless something changes.

The lack of a sociologist that understands what drive players to play monthly based subscription games.
The entire company is run with a programmer/engineer mid set.  Ppl that like math, that like true or false choices.

But there are professionals that study what attracts people to videos, games, movies, theme parks, adventures. Those ppl can easily point out the difference between a working program and an appealing app. Between realism and pain. Between freedom and anarchy.

More stuff of course but this is the main issue.

1 hour ago, joaocordeiro said:

The lack of a sociologist that understands what drive players to play monthly based subscription games.
The entire company is run with a programmer/engineer mid set.  Ppl that like math, that like true or false choices.

But there are professionals that study what attracts people to videos, games, movies, theme parks, adventures. Those ppl can easily point out the difference between a working program and an appealing app. Between realism and pain. Between freedom and anarchy.

More stuff of course but this is the main issue.

Yeah I totally get that.

Im sure when the devs were like hey lets design a job that people will have to mine 10hr shifts that is stuck with no skills or ungrades with standard issue tools you start with just to hand over your hard earned work to someone else to make money not you it probably never occured to them that the ratio of effort just to maintain an industry tailored for 3 people requires 20hrs per day bare minimum to run and maybe miners dont necessarily need to mine 5km of nodes to do that is the defininition of fun to keep the lights on or that any additions to the industry greatly increase the min effort required while the resources take longer and longer to find before you cant even keep simple things going even though you have max T5 mining its a losing battle. Or that even if you are a pilot you will need miners or miners for industry to keep it going to fight.

They are asking people way more time investment then you get in return for the speed you can progress in terms of months let alone days of merciless soul crushing grind.

The least they can do is allow random tier 1-5 rocks to show up below the surface like they do above or somehow set a depth so the frequency and tiers get better. And have just a whole huge size of rocks that appear from the tiny rocks on the surface to those huge boulders. Everything should be mineable for ore, sediment, or stone. I say Tier 1-5 ores because it isnt going to break the game if you stumble upon a 20kl gold nugget every once in a while in a tunnel you dug a while ago. Or that you could instantly give purpose to the dead tunnels everywhere. There just needs to be SOMETHING between 1-500m between nodes to do to suppliment and make getting ore more efficient. I think it starts with rocks underground with different scales that requuire the mining and dead harvesti.ng tool but also make a sifting tool that digs and takes a min to process soil into mats as well so there is a variety of things to do. You could sift your way to a node, collect rocks along the way, and then mine a node that in of itself would not be game breaking but just streamlining the process and killing a lot of the grind as well.

Its not that the jobs arent boring (which they are) its just simple little quality of life improvements that need to be added to make life in DU such a chore.

Things just dont need to be so dramatically drawn out to be fun. I dont know any other game on the market that requires 10hrs grind for such simple things or the 8+hr road trips to other planets. I dont have all the time in the world each day to play. They need to build the experience to fit some kind of reasonable progress in materials to be made within a 4hr window to get your maintenence done to keep machines going bar none. Not 20hrs split between 2 people now being forced into 10hr shifts. 4 hours should be way more than enough time so you can catch up on a side project if I work an 8hr ingame shift and actually get ahead if I work a 10-12hr ingame shift. Its rediculous.

Im a person not a serf that toils in the fields all day for nothing. I expect a wage for my effort to progress in a meaningful and reasonable amount of time. We pay them money for that right. This isnt one of those Free to Play games where all the content needs to be held back so you buy more boosters or pay to cut through red tape. This is a sub based game. You go with a sub based game because the game is supposed to be good enough so that the devs dont focus on the cash shop, they focus on making the game.

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

What's holding DU back?

NQ

Is it NQ as a whole? I am curious and would like to see inner workings and structure there. Hell, at the end of the day the one most responsible would be JC I would imagine.

Just now, JohnnyTazer said:

The lack of pvp, risk vs reward, and meaningful ways for people to and orgs to interact.  

I agree with this. PvP for PvPs sake is fun for a time, but it quickly becomes hollow because there is nothing to fight over. People are getting bored and leaving because there is no impetus to build warships just to take out into an area with quite literally nothing in it; well except for similar people who haven't quite realized how...pointless the whole experience is.

NQ

edit:

ninja’d by Blazemonger. Oops. 

ok less snark from me. Let me add some detail.

It’s a bit tautological but the lack of actual progress these last few months is what’s holding the game back:

This game is still in alpha despite the name. they need to be adding features into the game and having them play tested. Monthly patches with ancient bugs getting fix for a start.  

also, by progress I mean distinct, novel game mechanics, not simply hobbling of current features to give the illusion of depth when they’re actually just adding nothing other than talent gating and hideous cost gating to current mechanics.

It’s the cause of their lack for progress that is worrying: Ihonestly don’t think NQ has a real, solid roadmap. 

the stuff on display is super vague and lacks definition. 

every sentence by JC in any video is framed in terms of maybe, should, thinking about, considering, looking into. 

for a “beta”, that’s a disastrous place to be.  no clear plan makes progress a hit or miss endeavor especially as the technology deepens and becomes more interdependent.  

One thing I know is our Community Management team is passionate and hard working, very hard working.

However i’m guessing that once you go deeper into NQ internal, the management of the internal teams have more closed ears and tunnel vision.

If NQ is going to turn things around they need to turn up the transparency just a tad and @NQ-Sophon and other Team managers needs to always remember one key fact. The Community Managers are the voice of your company’s customers and probably the most important assets you have at this point.

At the same time when at the design stages of production never be afraid to ask for suggestions here to fill the idea box. You never know what feedback may spark a good idea to run with.

2 hours ago, Physics said:

One thing I know is our Community Management team is passionate and hard working, very hard working.

One thing we can agree on for sure. 

It's very telling though that NQ seems to think that throwing a CM team willing to do the legwork at this will resolve their cultural (company, not regional..) and IMO structural issues..

I agree with Graxxor.

The game is still in an alpha state.

If we are paying for this (which I am) we should be getting big feature adding patches at least every month to try and get the game to resemble a beta product.

However it seems that NQ have other hurdles to jump 1st in that the content that's here has major stability and other issues.  They really are in a bind.

The goal of being a sandbox.

All Steam Voxel /survival sandboxes started and ended the same way.

Create the game ->Early Access->People build everything available->Hype for the possibilities->End of EA and lack of content->Go to the next voxel /survival/ sandbox game

11 minutes ago, Haunty said:

Just time and staff to put in all the features and polish the game

Think it goes without saying that's the tricky part for them. To get staff they need cash, to get cash they need players, to get players they need staff.

7 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

NQ

edit:

ninja’d by Blazemonger. Oops. 

ok less snark from me. Let me add some detail.

It’s a bit tautological but the lack of actual progress these last few months is what’s holding the game back:

This game is still in alpha despite the name. they need to be adding features into the game and having them play tested. Monthly patches with ancient bugs getting fix for a start.  

also, by progress I mean distinct, novel game mechanics, not simply hobbling of current features to give the illusion of depth when they’re actually just adding nothing other than talent gating and hideous cost gating to current mechanics.

It’s the cause of their lack for progress that is worrying: Ihonestly don’t think NQ has a real, solid roadmap. 

the stuff on display is super vague and lacks definition. 

every sentence by JC in any video is framed in terms of maybe, should, thinking about, considering, looking into. 

for a “beta”, that’s a disastrous place to be.  no clear plan makes progress a hit or miss endeavor especially as the technology deepens and becomes more interdependent.  

I believe the correct term for the tier system is called horizontal progression rather than the traditional vertical progression moddel most MMos use.

ITs basically just enough across the board to look like a game but zero depth on the back end. Seeing as they jumped off the deep end with depth but the rest of the game is designed for shallow progression. Take mining for example. You get 2 talent branches, like 4 skills you need outside of that, and a standard issue tool and a resource system that is finite. Thats as shallow as it gets. Mining does not have a full talent tree chalked full of efficiency skills, bonuses, proc based byproducts or an industry to invest in. It just kind exists as a mechanic that is like direct copy/paste carbon copy of out of the box mine craft. It only gets worse as a miner over time, not better like the industry which gets insane bonuses and more efficient as time goes on.

Honestly I think getting done a days worth of work should take no longer than 4 hours of mining. If I play 8 hours I should then get past maintaining machines and have the ability to work on something else. Or if I play 12 hours I should be able to really progress that day. I feel like I am starting to work a job I hate when I mine endless 4kl nodes all day for no real measurable progress. All I know is I could mine an L core worth of material and after im done processing that litteral mountain of ore it spits out maybe a wall of honeycomb or just a meager handful of parts in what it produces. I dont have unlimited time to play this game.

10hrs manditory grind to keep a minimal amount of machines going is rediculous. I wish I could mine a hole and it would just create the rocks from the surface but with T1-5 all mats as 25-250L harvestable rocks appear and stop me along the way or tht I could use some kind of sifter mining tool that takes a chunk of dirt and gives like 1-5 random mats potentially per scoop on my way towards an actual ore node where the real meat and potatoes of mining should be. I just think createing endless tunnels without other forms of mining or sifting is needed to just break up the monotony and add more available mats.

I say all T1-5 ores as rocks because you could make their spawns rare as the tiers go up and if you find a 20l gold nugget every once in a while it wont kill the game and besides with the territory wars you will need trace amounts of all ore to be present on Alioth for when nobody can leave planet or to suppliment small amounts of all ores so people can either go directly for them if they need large quantities but also that with destructible elements you will need some way to make those items every so often to stay competitive.

But also that spawning rocks below the ground in caves is by far the easiest way to impliment some kind of renewable resources on a micro scale that makes the most sense to just cut down some of the grind and space between 100-500m distance between ore nodes. Or that the massive caverns and hollow spaces could spawn larger rocks or gems on the ground, walls, or ceiling. Or just sifting as well not breaking the game if you only get 1-5L of ore depending on the size of the scoop or talent level but it should give something to help streamline mining a bit more to open up the rest of the game.

tbh I think it comes down to the decision to have people paying to be QA testers and moderators instead of the other way around.... takes the accountability aspect of QA and throws it on its head...how do you discipline your QA department for doing a bad job if you also have to kowtow to them for funding your game? just doesnt work. 

3 hours ago, Haunty said:

Just time and staff to put in all the features and polish the game

Totaly disagree. Because time is what they pretty much used already: with 2 year delay, questinable Alpha stage and half of year of slug's pace. Even website promised almost 1 year ago still not fully operational.

Main DU problem is quite similiar to many other failed (or relativly failed) indy games:

1) devs progressing too slow and want to cut corners with "alpha/early access" release;

2) then nothing changed and they still go too slow to keep game relevant for wider audience;

3) lack of money (and subsequently -- motivation) leads to even more... slowleness or outright simulation of activity;

4) game stays half-finished shit forever.

NQ totaly need to develop some serious speed if they want to live as company. I'm not super much into gloom and doom usualy, but I think its actualy how question more or less stays now.

I think what is holding back DU is the vocal minority perception of what a game experience 'should' be. You can never look at a thread in this forum without at least one response or post containing:

1: DU is dying because XYZ the devs need to save this sinking ship!

2: NQ has no idea what game they are making , here is wall of text describing how DU's game vision was failed form the start and this is mine to replace it.

3: DU was meant to be a non progression , open sandbox with zero purpose OR DU was meant to be PvP warzone and those 'carebears' are destroying it

4: NQ needs to turn DU into the same formula as "insert my favorite MMO example / game loop" to appeal to a wider audience.

None of these are true naturally. 

If all someone does is view gameplay in DU as a 'job' then maybe DU just is not for them. Maybe at some point in the future the game loops will have filled out enough for players that feel that way today to not feel that way in a year or two. Not every game is for everyone. The answer is never to destroy the direction of the game to appease to vocal minority who want the game to cater to their personal play style. The only question for a game designer should be are there enough players interested in what we are making to keep the game alive over the long haul. 

Hyperbolic arguments about appeal to the 'masses' are useless. DU will never appeal to the masses , it only needs to appeal to enough people to keep it alive and hopefully growing at a slow and steady pace. 

2 hours ago, Xennial said:

Hyperbolic arguments about appeal to the 'masses' are useless. DU will never appeal to the masses , it only needs to appeal to enough people to keep it alive and hopefully growing at a slow and steady pace. 

I do agree with the core principle of your argument, but disagree with some of its contents.

At the end of the day, time is the only thing that will tell the tale since NQ is not releasing detailed daily login info vs subscriptions vs money income and outgo.

Well,  I find all this "vocal minority", "infuence direction", "not your game", "apeal to masses" -- all inherently flawed.

1) Vocal minority is obviously subjective labeling. Cannot be defined, but easly twisted.

2) NQ, so far, demonstrated little of actual interest in average player feedback (and god forbid "ideas") beyond obvious en masse rioting (reaction is damage control, like with 0.23). So nothing to worry about.

3) No one actualy knows "for who" DU is or  will be to send people away. All we have is generic KS promises and episodes of infamous "JC's vision" how this or that supposed to be played.

4) Most importantly, DU and apeal to masses is sound like joke -- most people here (in discusion) already quite niche players, exactly types of players DU needs (and can get). Gaming masses don't give a slighest muck about DU (don't know about it) and, likely, never will, playing happly their mainstream games.

But I get, that it may be annoying to see all same dozen people grumpy around forum. But its actualy quite ironicly reversed situation from other side -- all same half of dozen people (actual vocal minority, hehe) telling same things over and over again about "how its all ok and will be better".

Like:

Someone: Game currently is shit (well, block of text with this meaning).

Haunty: I'm not noticing its shit, give devs some time.

3 hours ago, Xennial said:

Hyperbolic arguments about appeal to the 'masses' are useless. DU will never appeal to the masses

If we define the EVE audience as a mass, yes, DU is a game that is intended and required to appeal to that mass.
Both economically but also to fulfill the "civilization building game" objective.

The average programmer in the US is paid $65k yearly. Assuming 10% taxes and $50k and a $10 per month per subscription we get:
55000 /10 /12 = 458.33

This means that for each low paid programmer DU will need to have 460 paying uses, not even counting IT infrastructure costs.

In the end, if this game falls below 5000-10000 players the project is dead.

5000-10000 players is "appealing to the 'masses'"

7 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Throwing more people at a problem does not guarantee things get resolved quicker. In fact it often has the opposite effect.

Well said. There must be a well defined and detailed roadmap with achievable goals, for anyone to be able to produce effectively in teams.

So until NQ knows exactly how they want to implement the game pillars in detail and the game as a whole, the devs are mostly just floundering around putting out fires.

I.e. the initial R&D stages where you figure out what is possible and not before making the final design, should have been completed a long, long time ago before they entered the soft release 'beta'.