Feedback from a new player

Sunshadow

Hi together,

after some hours of gameplay I want to share my subjective feedback on the current game build.

I like the game so far, but there are some points I'd wish to see improvements. 

As a new player it is really hard to get into the game without watching tons of youtube tutorials (which are really good).

My main blockers after the tutorial were how to set up a new industry. You have no idea which buildings in which sizes (refinery, honeycomb, 3D printer,...)

work together. The tutorial should also cover the building of a first simple industry loop. I went to other players structures and looked what they have built in small bases. 

Then I had the next problem. I saw the building but I couldn't figure out the name of the parts. A hover menu when focusing parts (ships, constructs,...) would be very helpful.

Now in short my pros and things to improve.

Some things might already be ingame and I just couldn't find them.

Pro:

- flight model

- visuals at daytime

- linked containers for mining

- ore scanning gameplay (for the beginning ok, but there should be upgrade possibilites (not only the range) to make it more comfortable)

- skill system (like the time based stuff for players with limited time)

- size of the solar system

Suggestions to improve/add:

- Inspect mode to show names of parts

- Artificial horizon in flight (also on external view)

- visuals at night (especially terrain) looks weird

- more basic voxel layouts (like rounded corners)

- autocraft required materials (e.g. pure iron, steel plates, screws,..) in nanocrafter for complex parts like a refinery

- in a factory it would be cooler to have conveyor belts instead of the linked containers

- hand mining gets boring soon, I hope there will be mining vehicles in the future

- no buildable different voxel types of the same material with different textures. It would be way more comfortable to place an iron voxel and choose between a set of available textures before or after placing it. Trying out all the types after building them is annoying.

- performance at marketplaces and hubs is not really good

- direct sell from inventory at a marketplace

- add some physics to buildings. Some player constructs are really...

- a virtual construction room with all materials/parts available would be very nice

That's all after my first hours of DU ?

1 hour ago, Sunshadow said:

Suggestions to improve/add:

- Inspect mode to show names of parts 

"H" key should do the trick.

- Artificial horizon in flight (also on external view)

You can make your own HUD if you know how to LUA (I don't) or download premade hud

- visuals at night (especially terrain) looks weird

Wait until you get in Thades, some areas become a flat surface at night, you can't even imagine the nightmare it is to land your big ship there.

- more basic voxel layouts (like rounded corners)

You'll learn voxelmancy with time, there are quite some tutorial on YouTube from a guy named "Tordan".

- hand mining gets boring soon, I hope there will be mining vehicles in the future

They plan to introduce some form of passive automated mining but no mining elements for ships.

- no buildable different voxel types of the same material with different textures. It would be way more comfortable to place an iron voxel and choose between a set of available textures before or after placing it. Trying out all the types after building them is annoying.

This has been asked a million times already but I don't know if they actually listened.

- a virtual construction room with all materials/parts available would be very nice

This should be wip, some players do not like the idea of it tho.

My main blockers after the tutorial were how to set up a new industry. You have no idea which buildings in which sizes (refinery, honeycomb, 3D printer,...)

work together. The tutorial should also cover the building of a first simple industry loop. I went to other players structures and looked what they have built in small bases. 

Then I had the next problem. I saw the building but I couldn't figure out the name of the parts. A hover menu when focusing parts (ships, constructs,...) would be very helpful.

My suggestion is: focus on your ship first, until it can carry a good amount of ore (~100t, mind that I wrote tonnes, not liters), leave industry for later. Piloting elements like wings or ailerons are pretty cheap on the market atm.

Industry is expensive, you don't want to "waste" your money on schematics this early, better to invest in having a solid way to transfer ores around.

@Sunshadow

"- Inspect mode to show names of parts"
1: when you aim at  on element or voxel press H. It will give you info about it or voxel model.

2: for Visual info we have alt+v than toggle on/off with "V" what you want to see.

3- more basic voxel layouts (like rounded corners)
There are in game libraries which you can deploy that have some basic/advanced shapes that you can use. CrazyHenky on discord has this offer. He sells bp+voxels so you can instantly deploy it. you can contact him. https://discord.com/channels/184691218184273920/748581946979909683/797540499807666206

4: - hand mining gets boring soon, I hope there will be mining vehicles in the future. automated mining will also come but i can speculate that it will be slower, like a passive reward.

5: - no buildable different voxel types of the same material with different textures. It would be way more comfortable to place an iron voxel and choose between a set of available textures before or after placing it. Trying out all the types after building them is annoying.  YOu can drag and drop voxels in menu (right side of screen) and switch between them during build. Also in vr visit BSC warehouse to see different colors of voxels.

6: you can sell from inventory as long as u can carry it. press CTR+i to switch between container and nanopack.

PS: pro tip. check controls in game. some hiddens gems are there :)

HUD is here: https://github.com/Dimencia/DU-Orbital-Hud
Other goodies:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dqmvSw6pGhrxYn8NUDHAHEtLJgGdubgz95tPdVVrris/edit#gid=531217013