Loss of Territory due to lack of activity or some such nonsense.

UKFatGuy77

Another discussion again led to this.

Basically its been stated that there are roughly 260k tiles on Alioth which is apparently going to stay a safe zone for ever. That sounds like a lot but it isn't.

So for example, I join the game as a new player, scrape together a few pennies and plod off to Alioth to claim some territory. Once I get there, I claim a modest 3 tiles because its cheap...

I later leave the game for some reason...In its current state those tiles are gone, effectively removed from the game forever...If we assume a modest turn over of say 500 transitory players a month then that's 1500 tiles per month that may as well have been deleted from the game.

given the number of safe zone tiles which more active players are likely to claim it won't take long for the safe zone planets to fill up...

Soo. I'm suggesting some way NQ have some way of reclaiming those tiles.

Even if your numbers turn out to be correct, with 230K-ish tiles left unclaimed that would mean it wil take nearly 13 years for all tiles to be claimed in that way.. 

By that time several things will have happened or may have happened:

• Tiles can be sold/traded/swapped
  • Players settle on other planets in the safe zone
  • Players settle on outer planets
  • New players start on safezone planets in other solar systems
  • NQ can always spawn in more planets in the safe zone and spawn new players there if really needed
  • The game is no longer running

Assuming players will claim three tiles each is at best quite speculative so the 13 years will IMO likely be more, by quite a bit.

So at best your concern is exaggerated, likely it will resolve itself whichever way, well before it becomes a "problem"

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:
  • Tiles can be sold/traded/swapped
  • Players settle on other planets in the safe zone
  • Players settle on outer planets
  • New players start on safezone planets in other solar systems
  • NQ can always spawn in more planets in the safe zone and spawn new players there if really needed
  • The game is no longer running

I would like to buy a neighbor's territory on Alioth, but how do I buy territory from someone who no longer plays?
New planets are a cost for developers and another wound for ingame economy.
In my opinion, territories without any static cores should be released after a long absence of a player. Half year without logging in seems to be ok. We were supposed to build cities, not empty deserts.

I'm not arguing that eventually claims and assets of players who left the game (excluding those on Sanctuary) should decay and their core claimable. a TU could also decay and for that purpose I actually proposed a workable, feasible and very low dev cost solution over the past few years with obviously not a beep from NQ on possibilities of such solution. 

That is not the argument here. The argument is that if NQ doe snot act on this it will quickly become a "problem" as far as availability of space on Alioth. That IMO is not a valid argument at all as the basic number show.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:20 AM, blazemonger said:

So at best your concern is exaggerated, likely it will resolve itself whichever way, well before it becomes a "problem"

Well i'm not about to get into yet another pointless argument but i will point out your staggering lack of foresight & vision.

Your entire premise hinges upon the current state of the game and *does not* allow for any change of circumstances.

Currently Territory is basically worthless. It does nothing other than allow you to place static cores. This is because unclaimed tiles can be mined and so forth.

The upcoming mining units, territory warfare and presumably many other future updates which will each likely add value (large or small) to any owned territory will lead to the increased uptake of any such territory.

so yes, at the current uptake using the current state of the game there is no real reason to worry about running out of territory or anything else. Sadly, that paradigm is about to shift...and in a VERY big way. thus you can expect other related aspects of the game to shift in the same direction.

So like i said before 260k tiles might look like a lot but i think its you which is failing to see how small that number actually is when you start dividing it by many thousands.

finally, I was under the impression that this forum was here to discuss ideas....ideas include avoidable errors in judgement. An example of that is...

If at any point in the future NQ decide to implement some kind of loss of territory via the means i've described etc. They are going to annoy a *lot* of players maybe not on the scale of the schematics debacle but, should territory end up being as valuable as I expect then still a fair few thousand at least. Thus it becomes necessary to address and plan for those issues NOW. All it requires is for someone to spend a little time, decide on a policy, and stick to it.....unlike other game developers which constantly change their mind and get a bad rep for it. 

Well that's me done on this topic, I've posted an idea, defended it and that's that. TTFN

17 hours ago, UKFatGuy77 said:

Well i'm not about to get into yet another pointless argument but i will point out your staggering lack of foresight & vision.

Your entire premise hinges upon the current state of the game and *does not* allow for any change of circumstances.

I followed your hypothesis from the OP exactly to come to the numbers I posted. And we know that there will be more new tiles on planets and moons in new solar systems coming, the first of which will happen this year. One of the reasons new solar systems open up is to accommodate new players. All of this has been discussed and shared by NQ several times over te past year or two for those not in (pre) alpha.

So no, your assumptions on running out of tiles is really not valid nor accurately representing the way the game wil evolve. Smack talking someone who shows your reasoning is flawed by saying their reasoning is flawed is.. well.. silly really.. your assumptions are based on the idea that nothing wil change with regards to planets and solar systems which is factually incorrect, hence your reasoning is flawed. Especially when you refuse to even consider other POV on the matter.