Please NQ - Clean Up the Markets!

Deathknight

We should be able to claim and dismantle constructs on our claim if left untouched for X amount of time..

Again, had NQ considered proper power management it would have been trivial to have a core decay as it runs out of power. But simple solutions are not what NQ comes up with, they tend to look to reinvent the wheel in all sorts of weird ways.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:36 AM, CptLoRes said:

The simple solution is to have a parking fee on the market pad, with something like 1h for free every 24h and increasing overtime cost to prevent long time parking.

And to give people a place to show off/advertise make an large expo pad that is close'ish to each district market with free or cheep parking.

+1 Exponentially increase the parking fee, with time. But then, we also need a way to pack off the ship which has been left beyond certain duration, to cater to the people who stopped playing for whatever reasons. 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, Underhook said:

Its an MMO.  I like seeing lots of players at market.  I also like to see ships coming and going.  The only issue is all the stuff people leave there long term.

Lots of good suggestions around.  Ships left for more than 7 days could be impounded at some specific location (one of the planets poles).  A fee is payable to retrieve the ship.

I like seeing other players as well. The problem is that the ratio of players I see at the market compared to assets at the market is way out of whack. I honestly laughed when they reintroduced emotes. In the locations where you are most likely to encounter other players and use emotes, you are overwhelmed with assets that make seeing other players difficult and the lag is so awful that emotes are the last thing on my mind.

There's a lot of great discussion here, but one thing stands out to me immediately -

NQ has the same schematic for sale, 5 times, with different prices.  I never understood that.  They just need to dedicate some time to cleaning it up.

This game needs an infusion of non-industrialists.  We're probably awhile from that though.

12 hours ago, SubotRobot said:

+1 Exponentially increase the parking fee, with time. But then, we also need a way to pack off the ship which has been left beyond certain duration, to cater to the people who stopped playing for whatever reasons. 

I like the suggestion blazemonger made. So if we combine it would mean that once the player is no longer able to pay the parking fee (fee goes to tile owner) for the 'abandoned' construct, the core is unclaimed so that other players can salvage it. This way we are both solving the problem and turning the cleanup into game content for other players.

The solution would also make it possible to place ads/expo constructs in popular locations, provided the owner agrees and set a reasonable rate for the parking fee. And suddenly we also have some of that player driven economic interaction JC wanted so much!

The only potential problem I can think of is if someone crash on your tile by accident, and don't have the means to repair. But that just means they have the choice of either getting the repair resources needed relatively quickly, or abandon the construct core to avoid the parking fee. And most of the players I know, would probably help repair the construct for free instead of playing the 'evil landlord' part. I know I would, if someone actually crashed and was struggling.

Many of these suggestions are needed for the game long term, but are also band-aids for a larger issue. The markets, as they exist now, are dysfunctional. 

On Alioth, we have the districts clumped together in a small area, and these district markets represent the majority of the market activity for Alioth. The most popular market that is not a district market is market 17, which is very close to the districts. Essentially, NQ encouraged the majority of players living on Alioth to base their operations near the districts and this is the area through which commerce flows.

Unlike real life, where we might have a major economic hub that has a massive port and rail system, we have a tiny little market with no parking and no infrastructure. NQ needs to distribute the load more evenly across the planet to encourage players to spread out more. They also need to spread the load at these busy districts so that we are not all trying to jam into the same location.

In a hyper-industrialized civilization of the future, this massive district/market area would make far more sense if it consisted of blocks of landing pads and loading/unloading services. Porters (robotic of course) that can help with the logistics of getting the massive loads of cargo onto and off of your ships. Linked container range would not be an issue, so any upcoming nerfs would not require more changes.