Shipbuilding/ Engines, Wings and other components.

RipPaw

Good morning, afternoon and evening.

I would like to express my personal opinion on the current ship designs that include the engines, wings, and other necessary components provided to us in the game in order to be able to fly them. 

I have been a member since Alpha and due to the game being in Alpha left it soon thereafter. I am currently back for Beta and this time I am planning on staying. Unfortunately, I am having issues with the said above parts and the way they work with the ship and each other. One of the main concerns is the engine.

A Basic Atmospheric Engine has 2,160,000 N of thrust, yet an average ship with some cargo requires a minimum of 8 to 10 of them. So since JC keeps talking about making the game somewhat realistic I decided to do some research.

Currently one of the largest and heaviest cargo planes in the world is Antonov An-225 “Mriya”. The plane is powered by 6 Ivchenko Progress Lotarev D-18T engines which are made up of three shaft turbofan engines. Each engine can produce a maximum thrust of 229.5kN. That is 229,500 N x 6 which is equal to 1,377,000 N. The plane is capable of taking off with 640,000 kg which is 640 Tons. So far everything looks promising because we already know that our in-game engines are far better than the Ivchenko ones. If we do the same conversion but with the in-game engines we get: 2,160,000 x 6 = 12,960,000 N. Then divide the total by the total of the Ivchenko engines and we get 9.4. Multiply that by tons lifted by Antonov An-225 “Mriya” and we get 6,023.52 Tons or 6 kt that we should have as a max weight. My current in-game small core hauler with 2 Large containers can barely lift 256 kl of Hemitite. 

Please withhold your comments that the current planes do not fly in space because this is not what I am arguing here. 

Based on the information above the amount of wings, boosters, brakes, and adjusters you would need is ridiculous. That is all I am going to say. 

I am not sure what the solution to this would be but it needs to be discussed.

The simple answer to the problem is that its a game and the scaling is different from real life.  Therefore people's expectations are too high.

The better answer is that we don't have large enough wing elements in order to support heavy-lift aircraft.  We really need Large and XL wing elements.  Thrust doesn't define the carry capacity of an aircraft, lift from it's airfoils does.  Yes, you do need thrust to move forward and counteract the drag from the airfoils, but thrust does not directly cause lift.

I believe you are referring to the wiki page, those 640t are the max takeoff weight, I think (I'm not sure) that include the empty weight of the plane and the fuel, so the payload it can carries is way less than those 640t

Btw you are forgetting the wings, ok the engines generate that power but the airplane has 900m² of wing area, how many Mwing should you stack to achieve the same result? :V

Jokes aside, imho (and I've said it a million times already) the overall balance between how powerful our ship are, how much material we need/use and the total ore scattered between planets is a little bit ducked up.

If they don't realise that we burn too much ores we'll soon be out of resources.

30 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

I believe you are referring to the wiki page, those 640t are the max takeoff weight, I think (I'm not sure) that include the empty weight of the plane and the fuel, so the payload it can carries is way less than those 640t

Btw you are forgetting the wings, ok the engines generate that power but the airplane has 900m² of wing area, how many Mwing should you stack to achieve the same result? :V

Jokes aside, imho (and I've said it a million times already) the overall balance between how powerful our ship are, how much material we need/use and the total ore scattered between planets is a little bit ducked up.

If they don't realise that we burn too much ores we'll soon be out of resources.

I am glad you brought this up. I agree. I would prefer for them to nerf it to the ground so that we are not allowed to build ships with 40 engines and 200 wings but people will always find a way. They truly need to figure this out. Its frustrating to me as a builder that I have to first place the elements and then design the build around them instead of the other way around. The other problem is managing your skills properly. I am sure I would not have as many problems if my piloting skills were at 3 or higher but because flying is really only 20% of the game as a whole right now, I had to place skills in mining with piloting on the bench. How else am I going to make currency.