Question for the Devs

DawnSigma

Hi! New-ish player here with a question for the Devs. I wasn't sure where to post this exactly so, I figured I would drop it here and hopefully, they will see it. Anyway, as a female gamer, this is the first time I have played a Voxel type game and so far, I am fairly impressed. That being said, when I look at what is being projected for the future of DU, I am a little concerned about the game loop. This is my understanding of what DU will be in the future. Mine, build, make ships, fight other players constantly to hold on to that which I have built. Repeat. So far, no mention of NPCs, no real exploration, or jobs outside of always having to be prepared for war. I am not asking that anything necessarily be changed, I would just like to know if there are any plans in the works for non pvp players like me. Will I actually have a place in this game?
Again, this is a question for the Devs, not player speculation. 
Also, please do not just tell me to stay on Sanctuary. That is just demeaning and dismissive.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, the devs don't really engage with players. 

The community managers do a great job, but you won't get a dev response here or anywhere... 

The reality is that the devs don't really know -- they've struggled to plan out or explain how most features in the game will work at release.

They are very much a "trial and error" sort of dev shop -- they tend to make big changes and see how things shake out instead of planning meticulously. Unfortunately, for a game like this, it tends to backfire. 

Here's the official roadmap -- but based on this schedule, it's more fantasy than reality. They'd need to start pushing major features each month to stay on track, and it isn't even clear how some of these features will work...

Dual-Universe-Roadmap-Dec2019-11.png

5 hours ago, DawnSigma said:

Hi! New-ish player here with a question for the Devs. I wasn't sure where to post this exactly so, I figured I would drop it here and hopefully, they will see it. Anyway, as a female gamer, this is the first time I have played a Voxel type game and so far, I am fairly impressed. That being said, when I look at what is being projected for the future of DU, I am a little concerned about the game loop. This is my understanding of what DU will be in the future. Mine, build, make ships, fight other players constantly to hold on to that which I have built. Repeat. So far, no mention of NPCs, no real exploration, or jobs outside of always having to be prepared for war. I am not asking that anything necessarily be changed, I would just like to know if there are any plans in the works for non pvp players like me. Will I actually have a place in this game?
Again, this is a question for the Devs, not player speculation. 
Also, please do not just tell me to stay on Sanctuary. That is just demeaning and dismissive.
Thank you!

First of all, WELCOME!! ❤️ Happy to have another ladyfriend here in DU.

The roadmap that michaelk posted is a good place to look for an approximation of our plans, but things have shifted and changed since its creation.

Here are some more recent talks that touch on the future of DU:

I do think it might be a bit tougher to solo the game in its current state, but it's not impossible! Give those a read-through and let me know if you have any further questions. :) 

17 hours ago, DawnSigma said:

well but that's exactly what it is tho. dont want to pvp - stay in the safezone. pretty EZ to understand.

Can't have rewards without risks

I'd have to agree with the notion above. DU is a game where PVP exists and needs to be taken into account even when you have no interest in engaging in it. If that is something you absolutely do not want, you have the option to stay in the safezone(s).

Personally I do not care for combat PVP and wil not engage in it. My gameplay does not include putting guns on my ships and I will position myself in a group where I do not need to actively engage in defense unless absolutely required. That is not to say I will not do my part in case of an attack but it would be in a non combattant role. That said, I fully expect and will use countermeasures and defensive mechanics as they become available.

I also feel that he impact combat PVP will have in the game is greatly exaggerated and given more weight than it should be by players on both sides. It's very much like in EVE where people have ideas of ruthless and very dangerous gameplay in Nullsec when in reality Nullsec is mostly empty and you can go about your business uninterrupted and without much risk. If DU this will be even more the case. Already there are fairly easy ways to be prepared and set up your "life in du" to be impacted by combat PVP as little as possible.

Lastly, if your position is that you absolutely do not want to see, get involved or engage in PVP then IMO this is not the game for you as combat PVP is here, it's not going anywhere and you must accept and account for it's presence around you when outside of the safe zone.

It's a space ships game with guns. Did you see 1 movie about space ships with guns that didn't use them ?

Risk vs Reward ftw or it's just boring as hell.

Wanna be "creator" or "builder" or whatever it is - You have sact/madis/thadis/alioth for it. Enjoy building whatever you like building there. Let the others that want it fight over the t4/t5 resource access over the outer planets.

There is will always be a place for non-pvp players. You could stay completely safe and have low reward or risk it to get high reward. Your choice.

ATM due to pvp being nerfed to complete crap, I personally know a group of players that switched to safe zone activities of "expanding economic opportunities" because they are bored and their game play is seeing stuff go boom. Jumping on your ship with extra weight so it goes down and blows up. Putting alts as beacons on your ship so you are easy to find if you leave safe zone. Suddenly stopping an XS core in front of you so your huge freighter collides into it and goes boom. I can go on and on.

All this will be driving "non pvp" players crazy, this happens when you do not provide balanced pvp playground in pvp advertised game to people that want to see space pixels go boom. There are people that want to take risks and get high rewards if they succeed. Currently, they are bored and do stupid stuff.

Currently, for unknown reasons NQ doesn't provide any risk/reward factor. Atmo PVP not ready ? OK, let the safe zone be up until you leave the atmo(6-8km), not 2.5su - well after the warp in/out range. But no, what we have now is safe heaven with warp in/out and bot orders all over so you don't even need to transport anything.

3 hours ago, XKentX said:

ATM due to pvp being nerfed to complete crap, I personally know a group of players that switched to safe zone activities of "expanding economic opportunities" because they are bored and their game play is seeing stuff go boom. Jumping on your ship with extra weight so it goes down and blows up. Putting alts as beacons on your ship so you are easy to find if you leave safe zone. Suddenly stopping an XS core in front of you so your huge freighter collides into it and goes boom. I can go on and on.

Whether pvp is broken or not, this is just stupid childish behavior and says a lot about their personalities. 

I love pvp but this is not a pvp game. Its not even a PvE game. Its not even a survival game its meant to be. They missed the mark and somehow created their own genre I would only describe as PvC or player vs crafting.

Just because they added some half baked rare pvp does not make it so. There is no skill in it in a skill driven game. Its ambush pvp at best and that is saying a lot. Territory wars will not make it better. The PvP redesign will not help either as they have no idea what they are doing or they would have done it being the core of this game. But they didnt, and they wont. Its just a much as a gimmick as it was in EQN Landmark.

Ultimately its a crafting and building game built on the back of a higher resolution mine craft and it fails hard at that too. The only thing this game has going for it is the ship building, base building, and industry. Not PvP. And since they brought in the crafting community and baited PvPers in this game will never work with how much effort it takes to mine, process, craft, buy, build, and run a base vs how quickly it will be destroyed with the faux PvP is 2500:1. This is not a PvP game or people would be throwing away 100+ mil ships like candy and willing to fight, but like 5% of the community likely does any kind of PvP.

It aint a PvP game as much as the devs or the PvPers here want it to be. Or how much they tell the "carebears" to leave who do they think makes everything and mines everything for their to fight or gank ships from? Certainly aint PvPers.

Territory Wars? All that is going to do is clear the planets of the bogarted juice tiles and pretty much they likely already own most of them from when they were able to drop 100k putdowns of TU's that is now 2mil. So basically once they wipe out all the cache tiles of people who no longer play or the small org staging bases nobody will ever build a base outside of Alioth and PvP is dead.

New universe to PvP in? Its mega org exclusive content nobody else will ever evperience once they blockade the jumpgate / star gates. Dead content for 500-1000 people for their own personal server solar system to destroy everyone else just that much faster after wholesale systematic stripmining that they own most if not all of already.

This aint a PvP game.

1 hour ago, merihimRefin said:

Whether pvp is broken or not, this is just stupid childish behavior and says a lot about their personalities. 

It doesn't matter, same as than having "personalities" in online games. If I see a cool ship near market 6 - I think how can I make it go boom as it looks much better in the process. That's PVP as I have seen in the ad that got me into this game. Sandbox means - be creative and think outside the box.

I wouldn't be at district 6 if I could camp ion/talemai warp-in in any meaningful way.

Don't put carnivores into the same room with vegans. The former will try to eat the later making the later population unhappy. Put the carnivores in the jungle and let them settle their own business there.

14 minutes ago, Warlander said:

I love pvp but this is not a pvp game. Its not even a PvE game. Its not even a survival game its meant to be. They missed the mark and somehow created their own genre I would only describe as PvC or player vs crafting.

It's advertised as PVP game. Let's hope next path throws us a bone or something.

41 minutes ago, XKentX said:

It doesn't matter, same as than having "personalities" in online games.

the relevance is not great, but it is there. If the behavior is so toxic that the majority is deterred, the playerbase may not be large enough to keep the game lucrative for the company, and then it dies. 

But i got your point with the sandbox. 

53 minutes ago, merihimRefin said:

the relevance is not great, but it is there. If the behavior is so toxic that the majority is deterred, the playerbase may not be large enough to keep the game lucrative for the company, and then it dies. 

But i got your point with the sandbox. 

What DU tries to achieve leads to toxic community naturally as any pvp game. They do advertise game as space pvp mmo sandbox, try to appeal to the ex-eve players(the only space pvp sandbox mmo until DU) and that's the most cruel crowd in the world of online gaming.

You can't expect everybody to be fellow civilization builder when you do that. It's just time until we have "Burn district 6 market" community events.

Moreover they deprive them of content, they get bored and do silly stuff to get at least some entertainment. 

It does appeal to like ex-SE players too but those get confused and say "wtf" when they are introduced to "MMO" mechanics like schematics and are forced to play MMO economy. At least those are usually not as cruel and don't start real shitstorms, they either adopt or relatively silently unsub.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, DawnSigma said:

Anyway, as a female gamer, this is the first time I have played a Voxel type game and so far, I am fairly impressed.

As a vegetarian, I think the voxels are nice enough, sadly unlike most other voxel based games I have played the flight physics are rather lacking, i wish they could improve that. The save zone includes 3 planets and their moons, there is enough space in the PvE zone, not just sanctuary.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, Warlander said:

Just because they added some half baked rare pvp does not make it so. There is no skill in it in a skill driven game. Its ambush pvp at best and that is saying a lot. Territory wars will not make it better. The PvP redesign will not help either as they have no idea what they are doing or they would have done it being the core of this game. But they didnt, and they wont. Its just a much as a gimmick as it was in EQN Landmark.

Ultimately its a crafting and building game built on the back of a higher resolution mine craft and it fails hard at that too. The only thing this game has going for it is the ship building, base building, and industry. Not PvP. And since they brought in the crafting community and baited PvPers in this game will never work with how much effort it takes to mine, process, craft, buy, build, and run a base vs how quickly it will be destroyed with the faux PvP is 2500:1. This is not a PvP game or people would be throwing away 100+ mil ships like candy and willing to fight, but like 5% of the community likely does any kind of PvP.

It aint a PvP game as much as the devs or the PvPers here want it to be. Or how much they tell the "carebears" to leave who do they think makes everything and mines everything for their to fight or gank ships from? Certainly aint PvPers.

Territory Wars? All that is going to do is clear the planets of the bogarted juice tiles and pretty much they likely already own most of them from when they were able to drop 100k putdowns of TU's that is now 2mil. So basically once they wipe out all the cache tiles of people who no longer play or the small org staging bases nobody will ever build a base outside of Alioth and PvP is dead.

New universe to PvP in? Its mega org exclusive content nobody else will ever evperience once they blockade the jumpgate / star gates. Dead content for 500-1000 people for their own personal server solar system to destroy everyone else just that much faster after wholesale systematic stripmining that they own most if not all of already.

This aint a PvP game.

Weird that you think it is a survival games, I have never once in my three years of playing considered it a survival game.  That actually explains a lot of your posts.  I bought a civilization building game, you bought 'Rust in Space'.

You have ZERO idea of how pvp terri war is going to be implemented, you completely ignore the information we have be given (which suggests is will not be easy to attack territories and that areas which are well populated could well act like player made safe zones).  Your comments are so bias towards your own gameplay style it is laughable.

I agree this is not a pvp game, but it is also NOT a solo building game.

It is a game which is missing some glaring features before it is even close to being the sum of its parts (mission system, player markets, completed pvp mechanics)

1 hour ago, Moosegun said:

Weird that you think it is a survival games, I have never once in my three years of playing considered it a survival game.  That actually explains a lot of your posts.  I bought a civilization building game, you bought 'Rust in Space'.

You have ZERO idea of how pvp terri war is going to be implemented, you completely ignore the information we have be given (which suggests is will not be easy to attack territories and that areas which are well populated could well act like player made safe zones).  Your comments are so bias towards your own gameplay style it is laughable.

I agree this is not a pvp game, but it is also NOT a solo building game.

It is a game which is missing some glaring features before it is even close to being the sum of its parts (mission system, player markets, completed pvp mechanics)

All the system mechanics are supposed to run in a survival format. I dont expect food or water but all the basic elements are there minus any kind of environmental things that are meant to slow people down or to add content of any substance to this game. I use that in the most basic loose sense of the word.

No I have no idea playing Pvp games for 20 years. Information they give does not mean the systems they create will live up to the devs expectations seeing how basic this game is.

Their slated game loop is also basic, short sighted, and set up to fail.