Help- How to get all elements to connect to ship control

Zilcher

i know i need to use a programming board but cant for the life of me find a tutorial on exactly how to accomplish this, id be super grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks for reading and good day Novians

On 1/6/2021 at 9:11 AM, Zilcher said:

i know i need to use a programming board but cant for the life of me find a tutorial on exactly how to accomplish this, id be super grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks for reading and good day Novians

NQ published a pretty PB/lua tutorial on youtube. It's a little out of date, but iirc correctly, the only updates needed are that timer ticks now have a name (character string) rather than a number and are located in unit instead of system.

To answer your title, you don't need all elements connected to your control unit (so you don't need a PB for this purpose unless your ship is huge or you're using a cockpit and want to see the HUD in third person. Core, fuel tanks, gyro, warp drive, and antigravity need to be linked to your control unit. (And you can link the AGG to a PB instead if you prefer - I usually do, so I don't need to add support for the AGG to my flight script.) Engines, hovers, wings, and adjustors do not need to be linked - they are accessed through methods in the core.

18 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

NQ published a pretty PB/lua tutorial on youtube. It's a little out of date, but iirc correctly, the only updates needed are that timer ticks now have a name (character string) rather than a number and are located in unit instead of system.

To answer your title, you don't need all elements connected to your control unit (so you don't need a PB for this purpose unless your ship is huge or you're using a cockpit and want to see the HUD in third person. Core, fuel tanks, gyro, warp drive, and antigravity need to be linked to your control unit. (And you can link the AGG to a PB instead if you prefer - I usually do, so I don't need to add support for the AGG to my flight script.) Engines, hovers, wings, and adjustors do not need to be linked - they are accessed through methods in the core.

Daphne thx for the reply! I should have been more specific about the build, when I take off to fly and I reach space, only 3 out of my 4 L Space engines come on and if I try to add it manually it tells me the controller is full so yes it is a pretty large ship, there’s like 6 vert boosters, 6 hovers, and 10 engines total and a radar, I’ve literally spent at least 3 hours just searching and reading and watching every single thing I could find on the topic but being fairly new to the game none of what I found actually address my particular issue, anyway thx again and I’m gonna check out the one you linked here right now 

Connect fuel tank to engine (not engine to tank, it doesnt work anymore). Do not connect to seat/core/whatever. After that right click on seat and run default autoconfigure - > flying construct. It should work. 

On 1/8/2021 at 1:41 AM, Zilcher said:

Daphne thx for the reply! I should have been more specific about the build, when I take off to fly and I reach space, only 3 out of my 4 L Space engines come on and if I try to add it manually it tells me the controller is full so yes it is a pretty large ship, there’s like 6 vert boosters, 6 hovers, and 10 engines total and a radar, I’ve literally spent at least 3 hours just searching and reading and watching every single thing I could find on the topic but being fairly new to the game none of what I found actually address my particular issue, anyway thx again and I’m gonna check out the one you linked here right now 

The way engine control works now, it's possible for the Nav object to only fire 3 of 4 engines if that gives it all the thrust it needs at the moment - so that may be normal behavior. But do make sure you linked a tank to the engine and the tank has fuel.

You can almost directly control an engine by giving it a unique tag and using core.setEngineCommand with that tag, but you probably won't ever need to do that. You also probably won't ever need to link to the engine and exercise real direct control over it, although that can be done either from the control seat or with a PB. You can either communicate with the PB from the control seat through a DB or just start the PB separately before you sit (I do the latter with my AGG control PB).