NQ YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT SHIPS REALLY!

GarbageKnight

Ok so here goes.

NQ - we made a voxel game, look you can make movies ships, or all kinds of ships, that are all pretty, and awesome. But making the right angles, and curves welll....HAHA that stupid hard as hell, go learn 100 hours of voxel mancy, to learn how to make a right angle curve in a half circle, without looking like LUMPY CRAP... oh and.

PRETTY SHIPS ARE NICE...BUT ARE AS FUNCTIONAL AS A FLYING ROCK...HAHAHA.

ME and everyone else -

I want a hauling ship that looks like the  Millennium Falcon ----YEP IF THE FALCON HAD 100 AIR BREAKS, 100 ALIRONS, 100 RETRO ROCKETS, 100 Vertical Thrusters, 50 LARGE fuel tanks, 40 LARGE ENGINS, 10 XL SPACE ENGINS... a cockpit just big enough to fit you in it barely.... BECASUE THE WHOLE SHIP IS FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH FREAKING CRAP....so when hauling 6-10 containers of stuff, YOU DO NOT SLAP INTO THE GROUND AND EXPLODE...or BLOW UP IN ATOMOS DURING A REENTRY.... and WARP.....HAHAHAHAHA better warp empty, and sell your load wherever you are...casue the CELLS will cost you as much as you will make selling the ore, or parts you hauling to market.... 1 medium ship with 6 containers.....90-100 cells, FULL CONTAINERS...200+ cells.....for 1 trip...WTF?

warp cell production....200 million for the schematics.....to make 10 cells per hour.....so you can afford  2 warps...to a mining location and back for 300+ warp cells....30 hours of waiting to make that many cells...  better go mine mega nodes of gold, to recoup the loss, and make a profit. 

so making a movie ship, or a pretty ship is great...but functions like a flying TURD....see UEF store...

so if you want function, well just eat get ready to fly a ship that is nothing but elements...made into structure, and use as little as possible....or none at all.....to keep weight down....

I have SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES a ships DECK WAS NOTHING BUT AIR BREAKS.......retrorockets, just to support 10 Large containers full of ore....becasue otherwise IT WILL NOT STOP OR LAND WITHOUT EXPLODING....

I TESTED THIS KNOWING BETTER - droped the 4.xx million for hauler on UEF.  could not even break atmos empty....just becasue i had 3 sticks of gum and a yoyo in my nanopack. TOO HEAVY...LMAO.

SO I MODIFIED IT...from 2 large engines and a medium. to 4 LARGE engines  2 Large stabilizers, 4 medium ailerons.  STILL COULD NOT BREAK ATOMOS..... so i started digging.

SO MANY UNEEDED LAYERS OF METAL VOXELS making it HEAVY AS HECK.... some places the voxels were 4 layers deep... 

I hacked the bottom entry off,  moved storage to top, took out passenger seats,  hacked the back half off.... used 2 fuel tanks for space engines Large, 2 atmos tanks M, went to 4 LARGE engins.... took out all the extra layers of uneeded voxels...and flew off into space.. loaded it...and could not stop..and BLEW UP hitting the ground...becasue i couldnt fit the 100 airbrakes needed to stop....

so i flipped the core to face to the top, fippled the gyro, started to fix the voxels...and well its a nice shell to make a purdy SLAVE 1 boba fett ship...that will fly...but serves no purpose...other than looking nice....

My M core Hauler...has some shape to it...but mostly to hide the 100 air breaks L, the 100 retros to go into it, the 12 L engines, 8 M engines, the 50 Ailerons. the 4 Lage ATMOS tanks, the 8 Medium space tanks to fuel all the Hovers and V-thrusters, and still need more breaks...retros...and figureing out where to put warpcore...and  remaining 3 L containers..and not have it look like flying  Square plate.. right now IT LOOKS LIKE A 3D version of the ATARI SHIP from - Space invaders... but i might have to mod it into a just the FLYING PLATE OF ELEMENTS so it just FUCNTIONS and flys...

SO NQ IN END - BUFF FREAKING PARTS...SO WE CAN MAKE PRETTY AND FUNCTIONAL SHIPS...... not just one or the other....cause i want a cool looking ship that can HAUL or PVP....not a Pretty ship, or a flying plate that hauls, or a BOX that fights....

OH AND FIX ANTI GRAVITY...that is just stupid.... also add ION engines or whatever you want to call them.. that can do both SPACE and ATMOS... like the USS enterprise....that had a crew of like 5000 people...and carried away ships, and MILLIONS of tons of cargo....on 2 engines.. not 200 slapped to a plate, with 500 wings, oh and 1000 air breaks, and 1000 retros, and 1000 hovers, and 1000 thruster, and 1000 adjustors, and 1000 fuel tanks...with a AGG the size of the empire state building, that need 1000 pads....and a forever warm up time...and if you change one tiny thing....the whole system resets...and you rage smash your keyboard.

i know its all COOL IN GAME PHYSICS OR WHATEVER WHATEVER.....but if i can warp to a planet standing on a plate in space, jump off fall into the planet from space, and not burn up in atmos, or die on impact...but watch my ship explode cause it cant slow down..cause it 100 breaks shy of stopping right... FORK YOUR DUMB PHYSICS...

I definitely agree, that i want to be able to make cool looking ships, that are also functional.  And i think there is definitely things NQ can do to make that something that is actually possible without sacrificing functionality completely.  But it isn't a simple problem to solve.

They have to balance the game.  And if they give us engines and brakes that are 100x more powerful then the ones we have now, most people will just load 100 of those on their ship, and be able to haul 100x more with the same size ship.

They plan to add some kind of power consumption mechanics eventually, and i think until they figure out how that's going to work, they can't really balance the rest of it.

All we can really do is wait, and play with what we have now.

While I think the voxel tools need to be a lot better, the ship elements are already too strong. There is pretty much no challenge in making a well functioning ship, you just make it look nice and slap elements on it randomly. Hell, you can just skip the voxels and place elements floating in the build zone and you will make a perfectly functional PvE ship with essentially no effort.

I cannot see an elements buff coming tbh. However it’s only a matter of time until advanced, rare and exotic variants of the other elements such as air brakes are released. 

Also keep in mind the ability to warp skip past PVP for rare resources will be coming to an end soon. The sooner the better. So if you want your designs Rare resource ready, it maybe an idea to prepare for that.

22 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I definitely agree, that i want to be able to make cool looking ships, that are also functional.  And i think there is definitely things NQ can do to make that something that is actually possible without sacrificing functionality completely.  But it isn't a simple problem to solve.

They have to balance the game.  And if they give us engines and brakes that are 100x more powerful then the ones we have now, most people will just load 100 of those on their ship, and be able to haul 100x more with the same size ship.

They plan to add some kind of power consumption mechanics eventually, and i think until they figure out how that's going to work, they can't really balance the rest of it.

All we can really do is wait, and play with what we have now.

that function is coming out this year they already have it in development if not almost done already

Yeah one person had it right on the nose. Make breaks stronger someone will just build a ship that hauls more. But if you set limits to the core then they could limit the max number of air breaks based on the best safest hauler made. Like right now my ship is doing a great job of hiding 57 large air breaks, 14 mediums left over from xs cores and S cores. And 10 smalls. For a whopping total of 81 air breaks. Which gives me 46g’s of stopping power with no break skills trained. 

I currently have 25 large retros 10 medium and 17 smalls. Also placed well as they cannot hide in my ship.

but to get off the ground I need no less than 24 large vertical thrusts or 24 large hovers. 

12 n 12 is a good mix as low g planets I do not need much to get a full load airborn. 

but with some skill I managed to hide all this in a ship that resembles a 3D version of the ship from Atari space invaders. But no warp core. I just dock to a friends bigger hauler and he warps me at cell cost.

but as for warp cores they need to get rid of cells and just make it cores only so 1 for small 2 for med and 3 for large for warping a hauler.

also escaping PVP is easy without warp. Rockets they are space nitrous... get up. Nitro away. Warp... done.

I like massive brakes and acceleration but imaging if they added G effects to our avatar :)

GarbageKnight with his 46G brakes would die every time he touched them, people can only withstand 5g for a few minutes or 3g for around 1 hour.

Or you could tap them for a fraction of a second and with would only be like a 100mph hour car accident

15 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

That's it, period. Whatever change NQ makes there will always be someone else's ship performing better than yours, if you go for aesthetic over functionality ofc.

That said, imho we should ask for variants, different shapes/textures for elements, expecially Atmos ?

I don't think it should be easy or cheap to haul 10 L containers full of ore though. Just being able to carry 3-5x your ship's empty weight is pretty functional, which is easily done with "pretty" designs.

Some larger elements could be useful, like L wings/ailerons, maybe XL brakes. But high Gs are not necessary for hauling. I only use one L airbrake and 2 L space brake on my medium hauler and I carry up to 1.5 kt with it. No need to add more mass in extra elements.

I think PvP could use some speed tanking similar to Eve. NQ also mentioned the possibility of shields in the future. And BOO's flagship is pretty and functional in PvP.

i would like to see less element, as it is now it's just a mess if you look at something like atmo engines with 13 type with each size group.

It would be better with, say 3 engines with a slight performance/efficiency increase over the previous model and then 1 or 2 specialty model like military version that would be tougher against damage and a speed version.

Look at trains, tanker ships and transport airplanes. They aren't especially pretty simply because economics and functionality was the primary design goals.

So it would not be realistic to expect esthetic looking ships to perform as well as a tanker design.

1 hour ago, Haunty said:

I don't think it should be easy or cheap to haul 10 L containers full of ore though. Just being able to carry 3-5x your ship's empty weight is pretty functional, which is easily done with "pretty" designs.

Some larger elements could be useful, like L wings/ailerons, maybe XL brakes. But high Gs are not necessary for hauling. I only use one L airbrake and 2 L space brake on my medium hauler and I carry up to 1.5 kt with it. No need to add more mass in extra elements.

I think PvP could use some speed tanking similar to Eve. NQ also mentioned the possibility of shields in the future. And BOO's flagship is pretty and functional in PvP.

Even on one of the Small BOO/Blitz frigates, you can play spot the adjusters. It’s just comes down to working with design limits.

58D14C62-087D-48BB-A642-BE4E35B9390B.jpeg

On 1/6/2021 at 8:45 AM, Fra119 said:

Btw his math is wrong, a 116cell/day factory is something around 35mil worth of schematics, not as dramatic as he thinks.

Cool. Based on a 550k profit per day, that's only ~2 months to recoup the investment.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:53 AM, Haunty said:

there is no WAY in HECKABOO you can stop that ship hauling 1.5 Kt with only 1 L airbreak... maybe 1.5 KL,   which is 1500L,,, but you cant even get 1.5Kt off the ground with less than 20 LARGE hovers. i Just stop my ground hover truck with 3 L air breaks, and only 1 L container full. and it still had some drift to it.  

On 1/6/2021 at 8:45 AM, Fra119 said:

Btw his math is wrong, a 116cell/day factory is something around 35mil worth of schematics, not as dramatic as he thinks.

maybe for you, but it cost one of our guys, 200 million..for containers, industry machines, and schematics to make 10 cells per hour...200 million quanta.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 10:08 AM, Kurosawa said:

I like massive brakes and acceleration but imaging if they added G effects to our avatar :)

GarbageKnight with his 46G brakes would die every time he touched them, people can only withstand 5g for a few minutes or 3g for around 1 hour.

Or you could tap them for a fraction of a second and with would only be like a 100mph hour car accident

Well my latest ship has 950000KN of break force LMAO....stopping 10 XL containers on a dime is nice....LOL flies like a brick though...due to bullsnot cross section mechanics...started a rebuild...even got myself AGG.