Such structures should automatically collapse

Emtec3PL

13 hours ago, Emtec3PL said:

Such structures should automatically collapse. Gravity should work and spoil it; I'm surprised the admins haven't done anything about it yet.
alioth 5 km up tower
sanctum 10 km up tower
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304455542162587649/795373545257304084/unknown.png

When you say "should automatically collapse"  do you mean because of real world physics or because you dont like them?

If we are talking about real world physics then we probably need to take into account that this game is science fiction.  In reality the ships would not fly, the hovers would not hover, the mined materials wouldnt be transported to our container 1 km away etc.

I do find them a hazard when flying.  Hopefully future optimisations will make them draw in a little sooner.

well if we could just build up a tile without cores or using cores to serve functions like industry, market, warehouse, and functions that required a core but were allowed to build or allowed to have teleporters like the districts that go dozens of KM vs 128m you wouldnt be seeing giant hulking towers like that if they could have build a platform and gotten to it easily via a working teleporter within the same tile to get materials up there. They could have saved 15-20 L cores and actually made something cool with them.

Im all for architecture and engineering in the game requiring real structural planning and any good voxelmancer will do that. Most people just go cube for the space anyhow. And I think that since a lot of those people prolly no longer play or play often I think that there should be an upkeep system that takes into account the sapce you have each week and forces upkeep maintenence costs. No matter if you play or dont your structures should only stay there as long as your credit balance holds out. Then they could either just auto pack it into a magic blueprint or make it so that if you dont pay the upkeep maintenence costs for oppertaion then everything takes damage and you can just keep it repaired with voxels included. Or if you no longer play then random voxels take too much damage and disapear or elements take damage each week until they are all broken down. It would be cool if static cores had physics where if something is not connected and you leave build mode it falls via gravity and physics if it has no hover device or anti grav systems to keep a city floating in the air.

Upkeep and physics should do the rest as things break down. Hell they could say that acid rain on Alioth or whatever planet has erosion built into the cost of upkeep for living there to justify the dot each week. Or evictions if you dont pay your land taxes along with upkeep or a player is evicted or their work rots and collapses at a certain point when the physics are enabled when maintenence is not met.

That would essentially do the same thing.

Its not unreasonable to charge mega orgs for all the land they soaked up when it was 100k or all their bases to require maintenence. The bigger the operations within an org the more it should cost them to keep it going. Or that their land taxes should go up the more neighbors move in and the property values inccrease, especially around markets where most of the people are long gone, holding up tiles, or building massive projects. Everyone should be under that gun depending on how large you become.

7 hours ago, Underhook said:

When you say "should automatically collapse"  do you mean because of real world physics or because you dont like them?

Because of game rules. There are rules for dynamic constructs. You need to comply with them in order to get ships flying or hovers to hover. But there are no restrictions for static constructs other than size. That's boring and often annoying. There should be some basic structural requirements (e.g. no floating elements or voxels). But I have to admit that something like that is hard to implement and there already are a lot of technical difficulties.

20 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

Because of game rules. There are rules for dynamic constructs. You need to comply with them in order to get ships flying or hovers to hover. But there are no restrictions for static constructs other than size. That's boring and often annoying. There should be some basic structural requirements (e.g. no floating elements or voxels). But I have to admit that something like that is hard to implement and there already are a lot of technical difficulties.

So, because you dont like it then.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:55 AM, Underhook said:

To be honest they are more of a hazard they anything else.  My Org has a 1.4k Platform, and it is easy to see but I have been in orbit of alioth traveling at 6000kph and hit one of these screwing my day over.  And all because of a 1 voxel thick tower.

We built our 3x3 L Core floating platform purposely that high to take us comfortably out of range of most high altitude travel around Alioth to make sure that mid air collisions did not occur. We also did not see the point in building a tower that high since even though the L Static Core is 512x512 voxels it still is actually only 128m x 128m in space. It would litterally take 515 core stacked perfectly let alone needing to overlap the top & bottom to actually get the teleporters to exist in multiple overlapping cores which would then take 1-2 voxels off the top and bottom which then would likely add even less height then x515 L static cores to likely 525 ish L static Cores.

Since the teleporters also only go a max of 128m it pretty much makes it pointless for us to use it. But when you see the teleporters used in the districts many of them when you set a waypoint to the other districts is like on the average 12-20km easy and it really just makes you wonder why you couldnt have at least 5km worth of teleporting from your own tiles horizontally that you own or just being able to add tleporters from the ground to the platform that is 1/2/5/10km up IN THE SAME TILE so that there arent a bunch of teleporter towers to keep our platforms stocked efficiently.

but lets face it the lack of any sort of reliable teleportation within your own tile let alone regional or just on the same planetary teleportation needs to happen. Even if you can only bring with you what is in your nanopack 4-6ikl capacity is non game breaking.

And lets face it that surragates are completely useless beyond a handful of purposes and should just become a teleporter system within the same moon/planet and how it is now if you are off world so you could still potentially come to another players territory with the surigate teleporter and buy items physically and take what you need back or to virtually buy so that you can come and pick it up later. 4-6KL max in the nanopack is hardly game breaking let alone hardly qualifies as an inventory when there should be exoskeletons and all sorts of other tech (WE HAVE NOW) in the future. If I could use a surragate systemm to fly ships to my location virtually or all the things you are supposed to be able to do with a surrigate or some kind of cyborg body on the ship then cool it has purpose, but by large surrigates were a waste of development time, money, and resources along with the player version of the teleporters.

And if we did not have to go to such lengths to just work around the player interaction and player trade crushing limits then we would be able to do more or not have to create a space elevator using 515 L static cores to accomplish what should be 2 elements in the same territory tile... Its not like im trying to build a teleporter network to Sanctuary or something. ITS ALL IN THE SAME TILE lol.

I think the only fun part about the satisfaction of this game in general is to optimize and rate ships and just finding out the most clever way to get around the restraints of the game. Necessity and soul crushing limitations are the mother of invention in this game after all. If its fun it should be illegal should be NQs motto.

2 hours ago, Underhook said:

1) You cant stick a pilot seat on it and fly

2) They dont automatically collapse

I don't know if a pilot seat can be attached to a static construct or not. I need to check that. However, not flying and not collapsing is more a property than a rule. It seems you missed the point. I am talking about limitations for the player - for example preventing them from placing floating static constructs, single-voxel towers or even clouds of single voxels into populated airspace.

17 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

I don't know if a pilot seat can be attached to a static construct or not. I need to check that. However, not flying and not collapsing is more a property than a rule. It seems you missed the point. I am talking about limitations for the player - for example preventing them from placing floating static constructs, single-voxel towers or even clouds of single voxels into populated airspace.

not flying them is a limitation.  I may have missed your point, but not, the point.