Is it possible to change the scale of the game?

Warlander

I am not exactly sure on the limitations of this engine or what has been built on top of it. What I do know is that it seems like the major hurdle to this game is the zone size or sector size this game can run at one time. What I propse is running smaller sector sizes in genral to the scale at which needs to be rendered. I also think that without some form or healing or just randomly refreshing tiles random to get rid of all the holes is also contributing to a majority of the lag in this game either on the point cloud data of the voxels or the player client being forced to render it visually.

What I propse is the following:

• Shrink the scale of the solar system down to a smaller scale of just a planetary size zone sector.
  • A zone sector that is large enough to hold some kind of gas giant type planet 2-3x the size Alioth with a couple of moons. Big enough to fight in but small enough that you cannot hide either.
  • Making it so that the planet itself is more of a focus then the solar system itself so that you can have both a space battle as well as a planetary ground battle
  • creating other nearby sectors with dead space, massive space stations, asteroid belts, and other unique points of interest worth fighting in.
  • Create a star chart of zones you can travel to quickly via warping directly to that zone sector as a standard means of travel unlike now where fast travel is too expensive to reliably use but as a new focus as a semi requirement to getting to different planets or solar systems via some kind of network of connections of some kind of jump gate superhighway that just calculates flight time and just flying in a wormhole until you get there which cannot be interupted

So that the whole focus is more about just traveling around and colonizing planets then stuck in space for 12hrs where the game is more about the planets themselves as potential battlefields rather than more spread out across a solar system.

I know it sounds counter productive to have zones but it seems that is how it will be. I would rather have more planets to check out then the pretty much empty solar system we have now with quantity over whatever it is we have now but still keeping everything in the game in tact just smaller scale or potentially much larger planets or resources to fight over in the long run. As the star chart expands out or the overall progression allows for further out travel planets can be discovered and added. Perhaps there could be some kind of progression galactic talent based system that unlocks more planets based on exp generated with every player that is logged in at the time with soome kind of tech tree or unlocks in a linerar progression tree.

Or based on if certain logistics or infrastructure requirements are met on a planet to planet bases as a secondary login talent unlock that perhaps add access to hidden resources, crafting planetary bonuses to certain things, efficiency based on different aspect inherant to the planet that can be reserarched by the people who are actually on the planet or what is being produced there.

Just a thought.

What are your thoughts if the scale and focus of the game were reduced to a planetary zone sector if it meant there could be more to do in the long run and have an expanding evolution on how far out we could go in total between content dumps of different areas like massive asteroid fields, giant space stations to assult, alien homeworlds, massive battles since there is nowhere to hide. fast travel between sectors to speed up the flow of the game by making warping a more standardize means of travel that should be more efficent in the future than it is currently. Or just the fact that they could have more resources in general up for grabs or room to breath between planets or jump gates for slow travel directly to a planet. PvP players could potentially go to the dead zones where the fast travel goes through and intterupt slow travel by damaging the jump gate. Which would immediatly trigger missions to send space police/military units or repair missions to get the jump gate in that sector fixed and paid for by some kind of galactic government.

Then just sepperate all the planets into factions unless multiple orgs create their own faction governments.

I think streamlining the game a little couldnt hurt if it played out more like battlefield/battlefront then it does now. Shrinking the size does not change the game much as it adds to potential content drops an benefits of smaller scales for the overall processing needed.

Sounds like Empyrion, SE not so much though I play both since they have elements still missing from the picture here for now. Though to be honest, fighting over a meganode and traversing someone elses mining tunnels does sounds like fun when AvA comes out.