DIVERSEIFYING GAME GRIND not just 99% mining

GarbageKnight

NQ - you really need to think of different game grinds to add to the game.

most needed PvE weapons for your character. 

Alien creatures that can be hunted and killed for resources, to add to making stuff.  like say wearable or installable upgrade units. To give you better skills, to give machines or even engines advantages.

also opens up PvE weapons crafting. for pistols, and rifles to be made.  but they have to be made worthwhile..to give it value. Even make it where you can craft  Core Life units, so that destoryed elements can be restored...without needed another element to replace it...so if you crash your ship 100km from a market...you can restore the core...and fly back to base. but you can only restore so many times before i cant be..like ship elements...why not use scrap....looks like a core is filled with something...some chemical, that might only come from animals. so ADD THAT, plus scrap to make it fly. 

the hunter can craft upgrades for engines - that use less fuel, increase durability. increase speed and power... this way you can make a ship look good, without needing to have 900 engines jammed all over it to get it to fly...so people will make less flying boxes with 500 engines on the back. 250 of which are needed to just lift the ship. 

and ARMORER - where any voxel can be used in machines to make ARMORED VOXELS. these voxels can protect ship elements in case of crash... or even armor plates that can be placed on our around elements to protect them in crash... but there is a damage threshhold...so putting 5 billion plates on a ship wont make it invincible.....just heavy and clunky....

LOWER THE AMMOUNT OF SCHEMATICS NEEDED.... schematics are attached to your character, not a machine. so get schematic, LEARN it, so then you can use that for whatever machine(s)

so say pure oxygen...learn it one time...any recycler can make oxygen now, that you own. but even if shared, that person would have to learn that schematic to use that machines functions. 

so you do not have to have eleventy billion schematics.  X ammount for each machine. 

anyone else wanna add to this feel free..as i think up more.. ill add more.

I think the best grind sink they could do is actually adding infrastructure to the game.

Such as power plant industries with fusion reactors feeding mats to generate power for a wide region and paying someone for it is a start since power will be a thing soon and industry is no exceptions.

Logistics infrastructure is another sink they could add which add rail lines to transport large sums of materials to markets

ship yards to churn out large quantities of ships that dont cost 100s of millions

stock yards and warehouses to fill depots to put on trains or water based shiplinerrs to different ports or hubs or depots

Infrastructure like roads, bridges, railways, tunnels, etc

districts or large clusters with predetermined locations for factories, residential, manufacturing, and larger org roles to actually create cities and have purposes for the things we create

factions for planets or allowing orgs to form factions above 500-1000 members to take control of a planet, moon, or sector of space. Factions that can collect taxes and use them for infrastructure projects, missions or services, or to streamline the aquisition, production, and distribution along with the ability to wage war against other planetary factions or PvP syndacates of space pirates.

Police / military roles

Mass freight transfer roles

mass purchasing roles for a faction through other planetary factions who control the planets resources

complete control over the markets

setting up of beacons, probes, sensors, and other space bound devices to detect ships from further away and seeing allied faction members.

Bounty systems to hunt down space pirates and collect bounties

Creating actual items beyond the base tools for equipments, role gear, and other oddities that you should be able t quip like guns, rocket launcher, perhaps lazer swords or blasters, traps, encryption devices for ships for security, mounted devices like larger deployable weapons, mining equipment, scanners, and anything else they should be adding.

Squadron based formation schemes so you can fly as a wing in formation or transport and break auto formation if any hostile targets are detected would help a lot if we could auto follow / auto formation with the group leader. Or setting group waypoints

Adding capture points like a battlefield game with place we would have to clear and hold for a long period of time that change hands by holding a capital or a structure for a 1-2 week period (1 to stip control and 1 to claim it as your own. But a mission system for factions to go destroy high value targets or patrol missions. salvage missions, search and rescue missions of stranded ai npcs. There is a lot they could do there if it were somewhat streamlined and automated through factions.

there is a lot more they could do to actually give purpose to the game and the things we create but those are the main ones they should push towards.

Like all of that type of stuff sounds fun. Players will never be that organized without tools and means to run a planitary faction or independent faction. This would be a lot more fun then the grind driven compartmentalized grief loop system they seem hellbent on developing so that 3 orgs can actually experience most of the content or gobble it up before anyone else gets a chance. Its not all that fun and it certainly wont be fun the path they are going down. They need to seriously cut a lot of the red tape to actually bring people in. I was talking with some new players this week and they basically quit before they even started becaue NQ has no idea how to introduce people to the game in any meaningful way or to retain them for any long lasting period of time before they strip everything that was fun to the game. And streamlining factions to having a huge pool of allied people going towards the same goals instead of random wanton crazy pointless pvp without balance or some government watching over their citizens is not fun and will not be fun down the road. Making the game fun and interesting instead of nerfed and sterile since you cant do anything at all is not my idea of fun in a game with so much potential.

I don't think NQ is necessarily against PVE, as much as they are committed to their decision not to fall victim to "feature creep".

People are like "i don't get it, why doesn't NQ just sprinkle in a little PVE, what's the big deal?"

But good PVE takes work.  NQ has been working on the game for years now, however many devs, all working on the game, and not one of them was working on quest design, or NPC models, or dialog, or all the lore behind a bunch of races and factions.

For a good PVE game i'd imagine that's like half the work.

And NQ is only maybe half done with the game they set out to build.

PVE might make the game more fun right now.  But what if the game had a huge single shard universe, all made out of editable voxels.  With PVP.  And you could build ships, and fly them from one planet to another, without any loading screens.

Up until NQ did it, all that stuff was basically science fiction.

The reason we don't have PVE is because they were doing all of that.

PvE would be welcome imo.

Like right now im sure whatever sort of mining bot they have or the alien npcs they briefly mentioned in the new solar system could likely be easily adaptable to existing flight scripts to randomly fly to and from a alocation mine and return to where it came from. There are some pretty decent ones already and im sure if NQ was like hey could you guys pull together and help making a mining script, a wingman script, an industry script or whatever they needed to help move things along and actually use the talent pool in crowdsourcing portions of the game it would go much much faster.

If they have Alien NPCs then why are there no space police / military npcs to help protect players and to give more fodder to PvPers r other players to attack npc content. Alien invasions into this solar system are also a likely option.

PvP is pretty bad at best. Sure it takes time to develoop anything but you would think they would be a lot further along then they are now years into development. Its a playable demo but it will be multiple years before it becomes feature complete at this rate with the current pay model. Honestly I would not mind just flat out buying either player or NQ built and optimized ships at this point if they came with more breaks per parts and optimized out of the gate. Or in a magic blueprint that weighed the same packed as it does put down if it could be loaded into a linked set of containers for transport so ships could actually be sold and transported in any meaningful way unlike it is now. a weighted magical / packed blueprints would be nice.

NQ needs some way to generate income but also allow us to post or trade items for real cash and collect money for free to put up scripts, skins, ships, and whatever else people would buy onto some kind of e-market would certainly generate income if NQ is unwilling or unable to make them to any degree of customization or colors players could do again via crowdsourcing at a right much higher then the devs who could just sit back hire more devs and let us run with.

Common people be realistic, it took 2 months to "fix" linked containers.

All the new advanced/rare/exotic stuff looks exactly the same as the regular stuff (no even color changes). Some have their stats "accidentally" copy/pasted from the wrong model (Tier 3+ Laser Ls have damage numbers of Laser Ms)...

We now have warp cells icon, that's probably what's been delivered from the arts department since beta start.

You talk about stuff that will take DECADES each to develop at this pace.

Ok i cant atay silent on this one, wall-o-text incoming.

PvE is all fine and good, hell even the most rabid rusties can ackowledge we need some forms of PvE if for no other reason then as a way to gather resources that is slightly less painful then ramming a rusty icepick up your own nose and giving it a firm wiggle. And so that not all their prey says screw this and leaves en mass leaving only a few pirates fighting over the few XS cores you can make in a nanopack and blowing up the infrastructure before its built.

However we also need PvP systems in place as well. Right now this game is designed at least from how JC and the advertisements float it, as a game where you build civilization. I.E you start with a bunch of random jackasses who at best have a few small cliques and all hate each others guts and want to blow each other up. Which then evolve into large super orgs/nation states as leaders pop up and are able to hold these individuals then small groups together in a more or less stable form that also leaves niches and holes for smaller groups or even individuals to exploit.

To acomplish this in a sustainable way you need conflict. However just "no safezones YOLO LAWl" does nothing but break this games nose again. Which means you also need resources and stuff worth fighting over on scales from micro to macro. I.E a single/duo man ship may find a random gen old wreck with a rare blueprint or top tier resources on it. Or a handful of small random spawn astroids with resources worth stealing.

And for macro you have puzzle events, beacon equiped wrecks with super rare or even unique items/blueprints that require entire large orgs to produce and supply and to fight over. Giant megaroids with 10s of millions of rare resources that the AI anounces has been scanned that orgs will want to fight to the death over ect.

That doesn't mean PvE and PvP are mutually exclusive either which my above examples should demonstrate. Many PvP mechanics could easily be repourposed for PvE and viseversa. I.E mining ships that use a mining laser to extract compressed ore deposits ah la extractor style to avoid nukeing the server. But a mining laser that can be turned on a very close range enemy for either low damage (no ammo) or extreme damage (uses ammo) so even miner ships can defend themselves and make pirates at least a bit cautious.

But we do need PvP to be a focus of even our PvE design if we want this game to be more then "pretty space engineers" However we also cant just go all in on PvP either, as you need some safe gameplay loops to help make gaining resources intersting. And no i dont mean just mining. Gaining resources is everything from yes mining to ship design all the way to industry, to crafting avatar gear or element mods for engine or weapon buffs, to even just literally farming to make +whatever food buff items or pretty decortive plants for example.

In order to do this while also ensureing you have a stable platform for noobs and down on their luck players to step onto, you need some safe stable spaces where the prey can set up safely and which has a steady flow of T1 and even some T2 resources that are safe to exploit in a mediumish capacity (i.e enough to build a small to medium basic ship in a few days/weeks and keep entry level parts and most fuel flowing) ah la the big 3 we have now. But you also need a good reason to want T3+ resources or to build in the PvP zones (ah la even great alieoth tiles are meh for power generation but say even the worst ion tiles are as good as any of the 5 best alieoth ones or higher tier engines can break the 30K cap to lesser or greater extent while slowboating for example.

You should also tier those PvP zones organically as well to help ease unsure prey out. I.E a T1 PvP roid zone could be where most roids have around 10 to 20k common resources each with fast respawns and occasionall small depots of T2 but be very close to the safe zone and of a vasy size to make finding ships hard as hell. And T2 zones have much bigger T1 and T2 depots as well as rare T3 but are deeper into the pvp zones and slightly smaller and so on and so forth.

TLDR for the illiterate. <insert warhammer ork here> W R NEED MOAR PVP MECHANICS BUT ALSO NO BE BAD KILL KILL PVP MECHANIC IT R NEED BE GUUD PVP MECHANIC GIB PREY PLACE HIDE BUILD AND BAIT OUT TO OM NOM!?@,$<×

I like the idea of RARE findable blueprints. this could go for making XS to L weapons, SHIPS, ect.. that becasue you are using that core, you get extra stats for what you put into the structure.  maybe old alien temples...or something. that are underground on certain tiles...and you find them though scans...as ANOMOLYS. 

On 1/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, XKentX said:

All the new advanced/rare/exotic stuff looks exactly the same as the regular stuff (no even color changes). Some have their stats "accidentally" copy/pasted from the wrong model (Tier 3+ Laser Ls have damage numbers of Laser Ms)...

There are some many missing details and small errors all over the place :( It is like the company motto is "meeeh good enough" which would explain a good deal of the issues

@NQ Brilliance is in the small details

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

I can't stay silent on this anymore..

Please stop calling schematics blueprints ??-_-

Nahh i would rather keep annoying people like you. Besides blueprint is used regionally where i live instead of schematic for anything built in 3d and im not going to change how i refer to them to please YOU.

45 minutes ago, Arctic_fox said:

Nahh i would rather keep annoying people like you. Besides blueprint is used regionally where i live instead of schematic for anything built in 3d and im not going to change how i refer to them to please YOU.

Your comment seems unnecessarily hostile.