Now Available: Reactor/2D+ Voxel Planner

JayleBreak

Continuing on beyond the original 2D Voxel Planner, I'm releasing today a new in-game building tool: Reactor/2D+ Voxel Planner. It extends the original 2D Voxel Planner's limited layer support with a Layer definition screen while adding a tool to design the 3 dimensional shape of a single voxel.
To support these features, a new XS Dynamic core construct has been built with a unique Voxel stack (derived from the NRD Voxel Cube which also inspired some aspects of the interface). The construct also has new Reactor frame
The blueprints (at nominal cost) for the construct and the original 2D Voxel planner are available at the Objective Driveyards headquarters at the open space location which will hold their future sales office. There is plenty of parking! In game location: ::pos{0,2,23.2925,73.1635,9.1008}
Also available is a limited number of blueprint+elements+voxels from a dispensor. These will cost 100 000 quanta and are limited to 1 per player.
More information can be found on this short  Video tour.

On 1/1/2021 at 3:11 PM, Bennor said:

Love the work you done, this tool makes a lot of voxel work much easier.
Thank you soo much for making this.

Your welcome. Also, I created a new video which shows the Reactor Builder in action (which I skimped on in the Tour): 

Hey, thanks for this wonderful tool! It has revitalized my interest in building. I'm now able to produce almost whatever I want. Such as these badass catwalks/floor grates.

However, I think I've run into a couple errors in the voxel stack. While trying to produce those catwalks, I discovered that some of my vertices weren't quite in the right place. For example, when trying to make this bar of the catwalk, two of the vertices appear to be at different heights. It doesn't seem to be a visual artifact, as the difference persists when I exit build mode. I'm rather clueless about how to go about repairing these apparent errors, so I thought I would bring it to your attention. I'm not sure which voxels are non-standard.

Thanks again for your amazing work. I hope you have some insight into this weirdness.

4 hours ago, TobiwanKenobi said:

Hey, thanks for this wonderful tool! It has revitalized my interest in building. I'm now able to produce almost whatever I want. Such as these badass catwalks/floor grates.

However, I think I've run into a couple errors in the voxel stack. While trying to produce those catwalks, I discovered that some of my vertices weren't quite in the right place. For example, when trying to make this bar of the catwalk, two of the vertices appear to be at different heights. It doesn't seem to be a visual artifact, as the difference persists when I exit build mode. I'm rather clueless about how to go about repairing these apparent errors, so I thought I would bring it to your attention. I'm not sure which voxels are non-standard.

Thanks again for your amazing work. I hope you have some insight into this weirdness.

Using the picture of the Reactor design for the bar as a guide, I took a careful look. There does appear to be a slight variance between the two sides of the bar of about 1/32 of a voxel  or less (the bar is 1/8th voxel thick).  This is a problem I can't fix. As far as the second image of the thicker voxel, I used the coordinates in the stage 2 build instructions, and that voxel looks correct as far as I can tell. But I'm not sure if that is the one corresponding to the issue you point out. PM on discord me with a clarification if you can.

13 minutes ago, JayleBreak said:

There does appear to be a slight variance between the two sides of the bar of about 1/32 of a voxel  or less (the bar is 1/8th voxel thick).  This is a problem I can't fix.

So from where does this deviance originate? Was it a mistake in the creation of the original NRD voxel cube? Is it some strange bug in the game?

15 minutes ago, JayleBreak said:

As far as the second image of the thicker voxel, I used the coordinates in the stage 2 build instructions, and that voxel looks correct as far as I can tell. But I'm not sure if that is the one corresponding to the issue you point out. PM on discord me with a clarification if you can.

Sorry I didn't show this very well. The second image is just a 'front' view of the bar displayed on the screen in the first image. The gray voxel there is the end of the bar. The red voxel is the end of another bar, offset in a different way so that they meet. The blue is a normal voxel. I was just visually comparing the end of the bar with the variance to another bar that had no variance so that you could better see the issue.

• 1 month later...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your toolkit.  To me it is a game change for designing voxels.  I ran into an odd issue, maybe I pushed beyond it's capabilities. Here is the extended voxel I was working on, and here is the output looking down.  The issue is with one of the two vertices in the lower right hand corner as looking down.     I think the calculation for positions 4 and 8 are off in this use case.

image.thumb.png.edd8161be89c2f4f2cf8ea70c6ae1671.pngimage.png.ce6750fc5095da330aa1945f4016848e.png

I was able to construct the voxel correctly using the plan in the picture above. But comparing the reactor to the picture, I see the voxels in position 4 and 8 (which are both from 0,8,0) are not right. The top face of the voxel should (and is) square, but the face below it in the picture (the voxel side) should NOT be. Only two faces on these voxels should be square, the top face and the face flush to the sign. If that is not the case in the voxel stack at 0,8,0, you should get a new copy of the blueprint and reinstantiate the construct.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, chairpants said:

weird. still showing no stock in either of the first two. ill check back in a few days

Ok, forgot to generate additional BPs. The dispensors should be good to go now.

• 5 months later...
23 hours ago, JayleBreak said:

I don't plan on it. Its probable that the vertex editor under development by NQ will replace this tool.

Which is both great and sad. End of an era. I've used your tool so much. Really grateful for it. Thanks for making it.

Of course who knows how long it will be until NQ puts the new tool out...