Did brakes get a reduction/Nerf? in .23?

Honvik

HI,

Now I know AGG was nerf'd or moved to how it is intended but did brakes too?  I noticed since .23 and having the same skills it takes longer to brake and thus harder to calculate.  I've had a few near 'misses' and certainly used to be more effective at braking.

Cheers

If you reallocated your skills diffrently then most likely the ship feels diffrent then before. A few % here and there doesnt look like much on paper. But when added together can have massive changes in a ships performance. If you had boosted elements before the patch and that person changed their skills its also posible you may have lost your bonuses. I know some have commented that replaceing their stuff again seems to have helped but im unsure if that is true or not.

We had a convo between the few people we have left and we all believe that there was some form of a brake nerf as well as a slight increase in gravity.

Before 0.23, our ships worked just fine and braked just fine. After the patch those same ships would brake on the average of like 10-30kmph higher and all required additional brakes to just stop with the same loads we were flying with previously since they would not stop at all. Because of this we ended up losing 2 ships from the destructive elements system. Mind you my buddy pre-0.23 had max pilot skills / putdowns and I had at least T3/T4 skills in piloting with my friends put down bonuses. This time around I got rid of some talents to go more pure in mining / piloting. Like I said it required 2-6 more brakes with putdowns to do the same thing previously.

As far as the gravity goes it seems like gravity was slightly increased or that the damage threshold of gravity was decreased at the very lease as for whatever reason it randomly likes to damage parts or destroy other parts like adjustors even if you set it down as gently as a newborn it still pops parts. My friend whitnessed this on 2 occasions and there should have been no justifyable reason parts blew up.

It just seems like as time goes on basic parts are being phased out since high tier versions do what should have been standard. Our friend cant even touch a ship now without crashing since he is being religated to pure industry which he cant barely even use as we try to unfreeze all our dead industry assets while upgrading to make proper parts.

-The devs did say they are not happy with how players don’t land like airplanes but instead hover over where they want to land and just hold brakes.

-Easiest way to this would likely be change the formula for atmo brakes for force/speed (you know how space brakes still have full power at walking speed but atmo brakes have less force the slower you get?). Sadly this is super hard to test for a player now.

-There are always plenty of things missing in the patchnotes

In other words, it is likely there was a nerf but we will not know unless NQ answers.

13 minutes ago, Gottchar said:

(you know how space brakes still have full power at walking speed but atmo brakes have less force the slower you get?)

Never actually noticed that but it make sense, space brakes work applying a force that counters our movement, atmo brakes use air friction instead, so the slower you move the less the friction is.

2 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

Never actually noticed that but it make sense, space brakes work applying a force that counters our movement, atmo brakes use air friction instead, so the slower you move the less the friction is.

Additionally, cruise control has more power compared to just holding brakes, assuming you are at a safe altitude just switch to cruise control (alt+r) and set speed to zero (middle mouse button), you will see speed will go down to 0-1km/h. Go back to normal controls and just hold brakes, you will start falling at ~8km/h. This is true for the most simple crafts and facing downwards, so it has nothing to do with cruise control activating any kind of backwards engines etc. It is also why auto-pilot LUA scripts are stronger than they should be, as they utilize this "feature" most players don’t know about.

So if you are ever within gravity of a planet and wanted to land but have to go for a leak, Alt+r and MMB are your friend.