PvP and a stable market. Let's talk about this.

DuskLight

"Civilization IV designers Soren Johnson and Sid Meier, who said, respectively: ” given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game,” and that, therefore, “one of the responsibilities of designers is to protect the player from themselves.” -article from The Gamer by Chloe Prince, Mar 24, 2020

NQ has a very complicated design question to answer. How do you balance pvp and confidence in the market and give players what they need instead of what they want?

-Other games solved the issue by implementing permanent bots and it made the market feel artificial. This is something NQ already stated that they won't do and I commend them for that.  
-War exhaustion is a real life psychological phenomenon and it happens to all of us and individually.
-We will get tired of fighting and every now and then, we will want a break from war.
-What about our builders who don't want to fight?
-War is expensive and needs stable markets
-We need incentive for community and a relative sense of peace. Emphasis on relative. 
NQ has a real challenge on their hands. 

In RL no market is ever completely "safe" or "stable". There are many factors besides simple supply and demand in effect. One thing is "perceived value" vs "actual value". Many governments put in place price gauging laws, sign contracts to by vast amounts of items, give tax breaks to promote production of an item, and many other things in attempts to keep markets in a state they believe is stable. The most dynamically priced  commodity I can think of, that is finite, and can be seen and watched in action today, is oil. 

The one big question I have, is will NQ try to implement enough RL situations to simulated a full fledged economy? Will they attempt to simulate technology advancements? New resources found or even lost? Discovery of new resources making old less valuable? Will there be a player ran government or will NQ act as governing body? Or will they keep it simple and stay with the basics?

2 hours ago, Deintus said:

The one big question I have, is will NQ try to implement enough RL situations to simulated a full fledged economy? 

You nailed it on the head. That, right there is my question. I genuinely don't have an answer to the entire pvp/market situation. That's why I posted here, and that's why I think that this needs to be discussed and, also because there isn't a consensus yet on what works. 

Since I don't understand JC's end vision for the game, I can only give my thoughts on what I have seen so far, so bear with me on this...

I believe in implementing a couple of computer driven npc orgs. To add to lore, this could be based on the ai, and the first few humans out of cryo. One org being 'the state' one being 'the corporation' and one being 'rogue'. I think a rep system should indicate that players tendancy to one of the three. Yes i know there could be hundreds more, but that is where the players themselves should make them, and orgs should be able to post their own missions. To encourage this, bonuses go to both sides on completion. This could be in the form of less or no taxes for the mission as an example, and would adjust a rep scale accordingly. 

My guess is as we expand, we will run into other arkships. Active or crashed. All planets and atmospheres with an arkship should be a definitive safe zone regardless of its state.

One thing that could be introduced is the possibility that when a planet stays stable for a length of time, no wars for example, it could become a safe zone, up to a max of 3 planets per system expanded to. Of course, then you would have to allow something to be able to destabilize a safe zone. If this is done, a game wide anouncement via every time you log ingame that the change is occuring would happen. This is a complex system that all extreme PvP and non PvP players would not like. If used arkship worlds should never change.

With logical, sensical damage of elements to a ship over a given time, can give one reason to go to the markets. It would be nice to somehow include the honeycomb structures. But balancing this is tricky... Too easy, less market movement... Too hard, players can't afford to fly... Adding in player buildable tools and weapons could help. You have to have the repair gun to repair efficiently, different levels of repair guns, different levels of talents. Different quality of repair. No talent, basic gun, you can't repair it completely, only ducttape it enough to fly. Five levels of damage could add to this.

Make better use of the differences in elements they have now and introduce one more to the list they have now. Make them look a bit different or maybe shaded a different color to keep it simple. Basic engine, military engine for example. All basics should be cheap and easy and break requiring regular maintenance. All military should be more durable, less maintenance breaking less often.

Just realized I wasted a lot of time here. These are only thoughts and none are likely to be implemented. Tons more ideas however I have wasted enough forum space.