Warp shuttle advice

Underhook

I am building my 1st warp capable ship.  It will be a shuttle and looks like its going to weigh 50t.

I have fitted a xs container in which I can fit 40 cells.

Will I be able to get far on 40 cells?  Or is a S container a necessity?

Any idea an cell usage for a 50t craft from Alioth to Ion?

@Underhook

If the shuttle is built SOLELY for warping cheaply and lightly (only >25 tons of cargo carried preferably on the player) then you should be able to warp virtually everywhere and back for less than 6 warp cells round trip, 40 would be for multiple excursions.  The cost goes up exponentially for adding more honeycomb than you need, heavier materials for looks and every element added past the bare minimum needed to get you and the warp drive off a 1g planet and into the warp capable zone and then land again after warping.

My lightest warp shuttle with 2 small containers can make the trip from alioth to madis on 3 warp cells, 5 warp cells with its max carrying capacity of ~60 tons.  I have seen shuttles without any cargo boxes and bare minimum elements/voxels do the trip on 2 cells.  However my MUCH beefier medium cargo container warp shuttle takes at least 5 warp cells for that same trip but can get off Alioth with a bit over half a kiloton of cargo and then warp (for a much higher warp cell cost due to weight).

I have heard a container for the warp cells is not even necessary, that if you keep the warp cells in your inventory then it will deduct them from your nanopack.  

But what do you want?  To move just you and your handbag?  Or are you planning on going on shopping trips and coming back with a few hundred tons?

12 minutes ago, Revelcro said:

@Underhook

If the shuttle is built SOLELY for warping cheaply and lightly (only >25 tons of cargo carried preferably on the player) then you should be able to warp virtually everywhere and back for less than 6 warp cells round trip, 40 would be for multiple excursions.  The cost goes up exponentially for adding more honeycomb than you need, heavier materials for looks and every element added past the bare minimum needed to get you and the warp drive off a 1g planet and into the warp capable zone and then land again after warping.

My lightest warp shuttle with 2 small containers can make the trip from alioth to madis on 3 warp cells, 5 warp cells with its max carrying capacity of ~60 tons.  I have seen shuttles without any cargo boxes and bare minimum elements/voxels do the trip on 2 cells.  However my MUCH beefier medium cargo container warp shuttle takes at least 5 warp cells for that same trip but can get off Alioth with a bit over half a kiloton of cargo and then warp (for a much higher warp cell cost due to weight).

I have heard a container for the warp cells is not even necessary, that if you keep the warp cells in your inventory then it will deduct them from your nanopack.  

But what do you want?  To move just you and your handbag?  Or are you planning on going on shopping trips and coming back with a few hundred tons?

Thanks Revelcro.  It is just a ship for me and my handbag.  I didnt know we could keep the warp cells in the nano.  I think I will go with the xs container for this build.

3 hours ago, Underhook said:

I am building my 1st warp capable ship.  It will be a shuttle and looks like its going to weigh 50t.

I have fitted a xs container in which I can fit 40 cells.

Will I be able to get far on 40 cells?  Or is a S container a necessity?

Any idea an cell usage for a 50t craft from Alioth to Ion?

If your ship ends up at 100 tons, 40 cells will take you 1600 su. That's plenty.