Schematic container

Mamba_Lev

Rather than a container on each unit a standalone container you can make with the nanocrafter that only holds schematics.

It would automatically be available to all industry units in the radius of the core.

Once all relevant schematics are in an industry unit everything is straight forward especially adding one at a time piecemeal but if you want to move base for any reason it becomes a misery.

The addition of schematics has made reorganizing more tedious for sure. I'd like to see at least the possibility to have industry stopped and schematics returned to inventory/linked container automatically when you want to pick up an industry element

• 2 weeks later...

I like OPs Idea, I was just getting a fact going when patch went in. Was starting to make a few things en-mass to market sell. Though I do see an issue still, resources, if you make a fact large enough to want to sell commercially. You'll realize you can only keep up with so much, which is where ORGs come into play. You NEED more people to get a fact going and keep it going commercially for instance.

This is embarrassing, but my personal issue with the schematics is that sometimes I don't remember all of them I've purchased and end up buying a duplicate.   I wish in addition to the OP's idea, there was a list of them somewhere that we have in stock.

I vied schematics or other things like scans to be considered more data storage than a physical item like a part.

I think it would be a good idea to add a couple of talents that could open up a nano pack that is data storage rather than for physical parts to store and manage schematics which should be digital rather than physical or act much in the way of tokens, tile scans, and other data driven items. Or other talents to expand the data so that at T5 you could pretty much hold all schematics.

I wish that there was more options for sorting like:

• Simply right clicking an item in a slot and locking it into that position if I take it out of the container like honeycombs and put it back into the container it just auto sorts to that slot. If I move the slot it should still be locked for next time.
  • Being able to set filters to display item type, size, grade so I could have it set to filer stabilizers by the highest grade (basic, advanced, rare), then by size (L, M, S, XS)
  • Create folders or groups by holding ctrl and selecting a row slot by slot then being able to right click and create a nested grouping within the container. Then being able to set the filers above for specific sizes, grades, item types, etc to auto fill into the container folder. Or to have it auto expand so that if you suddenly put 50 partially broken L stabilizers it doesnt just go wherever it just expands the folder to the next row.
  • Setting dead rows as dividers between folders that signify those slots cannot be used either by creating a seamless texture that is a solid red color or the diagonal warning stipes or something.

My biggest gripe right now with containers in general is that they used to make sense (kinda) but the bigger they get the more they dont make sense.

For instance I get that 2 M Containers = the physical space of 1 L container or that 6 XS Containers = 1 M container. That makes sense base volume wise with the ability to somewhat increase the volume or lower the overall mass. I get all that.

But when they came out with the XL container they went super stingy. It is basically 6 L containers but with the room of about 3 even before the bonus. The cost of saving links is not worth the space of 6 containers with the mass/volume of 3.

Then we saw that there was an XL extended Container...So we had to buy one to check it out.

This thing is the size of 8 L containers and even with the put down bonuses still only comes out to 4/8 normal L containers for the space. The size does not justify the loss of half the space this monstrosity represents for half use and the links it saves. Not to mention this behemoth weight 81 tons...WTF? That thing will never go onto a ship VS an L container that weighs about 2T. Even if you went with 8 L containers VS 1 XL-E container its 16T vs 81T in weight and 2x the capacity? What is that nonsense? Even in an industry the space required is absurd. In our L static core on one level we could probably fit 25 stacked 2 high which equals out to 200L containers when with the same space we could fit 4x more L Containers and work around the shoddy limited link and transfer system.

It needs to be adjusted for the actual size / volume / mass it really represents in physical space to match what it truely is without creating needless wasted space for little to no gain if not losing half capacity in the process even with talents in play.

I just spent considerable time and money to set up extended container XL crafting. As I was ramping up production of the parts I realized that the material cost of the container was way more than 4 time the cost of a large, just to get 4 times the storage. Then I find out it takes 8 time the space. That is crazy. I canceled my production of those containers before it could go too far. I don't understand how anyone could think those XL containers make sense.

The XL and expanded XL containers are not efficient from a volume, mass, or cost standpoint.  Where they are useful however is that due to the linking limitations, they produce the largest volume 10-stack of containers possible.  Basically, they are only useful for simplifying warehouses.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, Warlander said:

That thing will never go onto a ship VS an L container that weighs about 2T. Even if you went with 8 L containers VS 1 XL-E container its 16T vs 81T in weight and 2x the capacity? What is that nonsense? Even in an industry the space required is absurd. In our L static core on one level we could probably fit 25 stacked 2 high which equals out to 200L containers when with the same space we could fit 4x more L Containers and work around the shoddy limited link and transfer system.

It needs to be adjusted for the actual size / volume / mass it really represents in physical space to match what it truely is without creating needless wasted space for little to no gain if not losing half capacity in the process even with talents in play.

Two points on this - Firstly that 10x E-XL's does make sense for ship activites such as mega node or multi-supernode mining; so you don't have to hop up and empty 10 L's every couple hours.

Second, more geared towards NQ - I'd sugges replacing the "Expanded " idea with "Improved {XS S M L XL}"  - which have the similar size v. mass-volume nerf mentioned by @Warlander, but allow for 1 output channel al-la Transfer Unit behavior (Like it has a built-in TU set to always pull from it's own contents, which is 'taking up' up a chunk of it's space) to allow for enanced inventory flow on ships.

Just food for thought.