A geographical oddity...

Entrophy

The mining tutorial makes me think of a line from O Brother Where Art Thou.  'Well this place is just a geographical oddity!  Two weeks from everywhere!"  Go down to 50 elevation.  Check.  Switch from long range to short range.  Check.

Go North. South. East. West.  Why, it's at least 30 away in every direction!  I know!  I'm a smart guy, this is 3D.  Maybe it's not right at that elevation.  Dig up. You're further away!  Dig down. You're STILL further away.
I forget where I tunneled down from.  I forget life before I started this tutorial.  I forget everything I knew before trying to work out this obtuse rubik's cube of an interface. I only remember the endless monotony of brown tunnels, and an ore deposit that's always at least 30 feet away.  My will to live slowly draining, I will never see that ore...

Hah! the Way point!  I'd never have found this @#$! without the waypoint. Gee, can't wait to go past the tutorials and actually play the game...

Just now, Deintus said:

There's waypoints? 

Yeah, little green reticle I only noticed after a long while.  But either way, silly effing me for actually trying to use the tools as intended to locate the ore. And when I got there, my reward was- A black box, tagged with ownership by Aphelia!  Can't collect it, and the tutorial just stops. Aphelia? Hello? It's a trap. Aphelia has led me down here to die.

Man, I am just completely lost in this game then lol. I really didn't know about the waypoints, thanx. ?

The tutorials were way to buggy for me, after stumbling and jittering my way to the point of the free concrete, I flew off and never returned to tutorials, so chances are there is a ton of stuff I don't know.

Okay.  I restarted the tutorial.  This time, I figured out that the box 50m below the ground WAS the waypoint.  Since the ore I was looking for was BEHIND the box, the directional scanner appeared to be triggering on the box, leaving this first time player to think 'THIS is the ore?!'  If I'd come upon it from a different direction, I might not have made that mistake, but seriously, why is a physical, visible box needed to designate a waypoint?

I hope some humor is coming through with this, and not just the frustration. I see the enormous potential of this game, and I'm just sharing my 'new player in his first hour' impressions.  I sincerely hope it grows on my, and turns out not to be so obtuse after all- either that, or the completed product will have rough edges smoothed over.

1 hour ago, Deintus said:

Man, I am just completely lost in this game then lol. I really didn't know about the waypoints, thanx. ?

The tutorials were way to buggy for me, after stumbling and jittering my way to the point of the free concrete, I flew off and never returned to tutorials, so chances are there is a ton of stuff I don't know.

I did all the tutorials that didnt bug out before completion.  I must have forgotten about waypoints and have never used them.  I feel ashamed  :(