DU is BORING!

DanilShe

8 hours ago, DanilShe said:

Ok. I could understand a problem with communication. BETA. Hope devs will make player tools more functional not turning a game into a "tables simulator" like EVE, which have a very functional GUI IMO. But you have pretty high cliff to jump off when 0.23 hits. Maybe, if I had at least that much quanta, I would not boil over that much. Still I have some industry... But imagine a total newcomer. No money, speeder and territory marker. And he have to pay for everything... poor, poor dirt rat. This is wrong!

It is tough on new (especially solo) players.  That said it was really tough on some established solo players.  Imagine you mined, created multiples of every machine put every bit of quanta you made into making your factory bigger and bigger.  0.23 hits and you have a factory that does not work and no quanta.   The stuff that you could sell is now worth 20% of what it was the day before, even then its not selling.  A lot of players were in that position and I think some of them quit.  A lot of them seemed to try and get the schematics to at least get part of their factory going again.  When 0.23 hit, I took one look and said to myself.  Industry is no longer viable for the solo player.  So, I looked for something else to speck into that would be a feasible way to play.  Now that they have reduced the schematic prices, some solo players might be able to eek out an existence but it will be tough.  As I have said in other threads, the game is alpha.  it might be worth having a break and coming back later.  My subscription runs out in Jan, so I'm still thinking about it.

2 hours ago, fiddlybits said:

One thing that I noticed since 0.23 is a psychological change to how I view parts of the game. I started a few weeks before the patch, I did not lose a large factory or a big investment. What I lost was an aspect of the game that provided motivation for the other areas of game play. As a new player, designing a factory and building elements for my own ships was fun and provided a challenge. I wanted to mine and discover ores on other planets because it let me build something new. The accessible industry provided motivation to explore and play the game. After the schematic changes it turned mining into a wage labor proposition. I was just raising quanta to buy stuff. It reminds me of a job where your working on an exciting project you're invested in compared to a job your working at just for a paycheck. I'm still enjoying the other aspects of the game, but I have a far greater sense of having to spend some of my time "going to work."

I very much agree with your summation.  I pretty much created the factories so I could build ships and space stations.  I didnt actually care about quanta at all.  I did mining exactly as you said.  I think they had to, and have to make changes, which will be painful (hopefully temporary) and much more game play needs to be introduced.  Fingers crossed.

I have a question about this mission system, is it something between players only, like an interface which let me create or accept a quest, or does it involves some kind of NPC entity, I dunno, a questgiver who sends you to kill space pirates and retrieve the cargo they stole.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have quit the game.  I joined the day after these changes took place.  As a new player stuff on the market like basic building honeycomb was starting to increase in value rapidly, and there was very little diversity in building materials available.   After realizing how many hours I would have to mine just to be able to build even the most basic of small ships that looked like a ship and not a bunch of components stuck together with a seat i stopped playing. 

The only way to make money is mining.... and it is mind numbingly boring.  After about 8 hrs of mining I was completely done with game.  The mining in this game is far worse then EVE and that game has pretty boring mining but at least there are enemies that attack you, and you must be aware of pvp'er (if ur in null sec) and at least you can fold laundry or watch tv while you semi afk mine.  In this game you need to actively mine and repeatedly click for hours on end to get  enough money to make even the most basic of ships (let alone a ship you like the look of).  After you learn how to mine it just becomes a second job just like EVE but far worse and far more harmful to your health because of the repetitive clicking. 

My other grip besides the mining is the way building is implemented.  You cant enter a creative mode where you can lay out a ship with no restrictions on materials or components.  One must own and have access to inventory with all components and building materials you want to use on your ship or may want to use.  Thus requiring a player to mine dozens of hours to build up a library of materials and components that would then allow him/her to begin to fiddle with the building tool and make multiple designs.  This was the real nail in the coffin for me.  The only reason I got the game was to enjoy this games powerful building tool.  And I cant even enjoy that until have mined my brains out to get the materials.. Most of which are now over priced or not even for sale on the market.     

This games ideal player is a young adult freshly graduated from high school with access to a mom/dads credit card or low hr/week job, and no college.  The game demands cash from players while simultaneously demanding a Chinese factory like work ethic to be able to afford to do anything of value or enjoy the building feature.  If you are not able to dedicate your life to this game and/or mine like its your second job (or only job) you will not be able to enjoy the game in anyway.

I'm having great fun. My projects list keeps getting bigger and my imagination is going wild over all the possibilities.

IMHO, The industry is what it should have been at the start of open beta.

I like this game, so will play it.

When I don't like a game I don't play it!    Why would I go on a forum for a game I don't like and moan about it?  seems selfish to me ?

What am I not understanding? please educate me ?‍?

On 12/22/2020 at 8:22 PM, NQ-Naunet said:

Have any of you witnessed a really unique play style that you want us to promote? I'd happily give you credit on the final guides if you want to share a story. ❤️ 

I'm going to grade changes that would make this game a success by difficulty of implementation:

Easy

[Lack of RP]

Direct in-game Voip -> being able to say "hi" to someone you see in the game, either to know their intentions or simply RP is 100% necessary.
Idle icon on top of players. So we can know when someone is AFK and not waste our time trying to be friendly... (related to the above)

[Mining too boring]

Bring back economy stabilizers adding all element item buy orders and sell orders, making possible someone to make a ton of quanta if they take the risk to mine it. Also be able to buy elements that players don't make available on that market if they don't mind the price. This is realy important to reduce the amount of boring mining everyone has to do. It's a joy to find a T5 node and mine it, it's a pain to mine 100 T1 nodes........

[Travel too boring]

Make surrogates fully capable again. Players should have fast travel. Even a 10 minute run is too boring and other games have fast travel for that. 3 hours in DU.... Cargo is a job (like mining), if someone likes to spend their afternoon seeing stars go by and watching the radar for enemies, it's their profession. But other players, that just need to go someplace, without any valuable item on them, need to be able to do it instantly and free of charge and risk.

[Crafting too boring]

Stop complicating crafting and adding huge crafting times to every step. Sure the game needs a good amount of items to make the economy variate but "good amount" is not equal to infinite. It does not need to be realistic. Make it as simple as possible but variated. Look at factorio for example. Something like an element not needing more than 4 ingredients and making an element never needing more than 5 jumps between raw ore to element: Raw ore -> pure -> alloy simple part -> complicated part -> element (example of a complicated t5 element).

Moderate

Make a profession system of quests where if someone enters the freighter quest line, they will be asked to transport stuff from planet to planet, mining will require them to deliver X amount of Y ore, crafting will require them to craft Z element.

Add Npcs, simple ones, just an avatar running around nothing too smart. Allow them to talk (via text) and interact with quests.

Add security zones with different levels where PPL will be allowed to do more hostile actions with less consequence.

Allow Creative mode on a "simulator" sandbox, so PPL can create without having the materials.

Add random events, like "an asteroid rich in T5 has entered the system and will exit the system in 10 days"; "Some asteroid rich in T4 disintegrated on Ion atmosphere, this area of Ion's surface is now full of its chunks"; "Ark ship's main Natron storage just reacted with a volatile gas, Base prices of Natron on Alioth inflated by 10"

Hard

Add NPC Constructs: Police, army, scientists, pirates, etc. Link them to quests, events, security zones, etc. 

Add NPC Combat avatars working as teams.

Implement a Faction rating system based on quest to the point the player can call for a military ship to support him on an engage.

Final notes:

1 - I have not been playing the game for months, I apologize if some of these suggestions are already implemented.

2 - Painful realism is only fun the 1st time. After that it becomes chronic pain. (much like RL)

3 - For all those who may disagree with one or more points: I don't care about you. Really, To me this game is already dead. And its dead thanks to some of your opinions. I only replied because NQ asked what could be done, and I'm not gonna hide and not answer. So I really did not write this text for you neither I will come rushing to reply to you. What ever you are going to say, "you win".

GL NQ.

On 12/22/2020 at 2:22 PM, NQ-Naunet said:

I've been speaking with a few players and one of our Marketing gurus (who is an avid DU player) about the various ways in which people can enjoy DU without having to dig, dig, dig for eternity.

We're collaborating on a kind of guide that will (hopefully) open up some new possibilities for people. :) We're all getting ready to have a holiday, but when we return in the New Year I expect to put our noses to the grindstone to churn this side project out.

Actually, to that end... I'm curious:

Have any of you witnessed a really unique play style that you want us to promote? I'd happily give you credit on the final guides if you want to share a story. ❤️ 

I can tell you what's not interesting or unique. Mining Simulator 2021. The most unique part of DU was being able to build the stuff to make stuff, and use that stuff to make ships. Basically, the way I see it, is that NQ did not respect the weeks I spent building the small industry I had. NQ wasted all of that time and the cost of the sub for me. That's just plain disrespectful.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, NQ-Naunet said:

I've been speaking with a few players and one of our Marketing gurus (who is an avid DU player) about the various ways in which people can enjoy DU without having to dig, dig, dig for eternity.

We're collaborating on a kind of guide that will (hopefully) open up some new possibilities for people. :) We're all getting ready to have a holiday, but when we return in the New Year I expect to put our noses to the grindstone to churn this side project out.

Actually, to that end... I'm curious:

Venture Capitalist: I know a player whom started making money simply moving products from market to market on Alioth. He turned that profit into strategically buying up underpriced items and repricing them at appropriate levels. He became in a month one of the wealthiest players I know as an individual. He has expanded to being a venture capitalist since the patch, and has used his capital to invest in industrialists product lines for future return value and generally being a financier employing groups doing various tasks to then sell the proceeds to other groups.

Skilled Tech: It's no so much a playstyle but I have seen players successfully market their talents out to other players for rather remarkable returns for the simple act of showing up and picking up things and then putting them down or turning off and on industry machines.

Personnel Transport: Cheap access to movement between planets for players whom may lack the means to warp around.

Interior Designer: I know players whom pay other players to redesign the interior of a ship. This happens when someone buys a ship for it's performance but the ship designer while creating a great looking exterior or performant ship did not spend the same time on the inside. 

games DOA empyrion galactic is better 20 bucks you play forever, more action, crappy build tool but at least you can build whatever you want without mining like you have no life.  And you dont have to stare at the screen for 2 months to begin to manufacture something.  

If your going to rip off EVE's timed skills thats going to force a player to not be able to do much of anything for the first few months you better damn well give them something fun to do while they wait for skills to upgrade to a lvl that lets them enter industry or combat.  As it sits devs have not only not done this but they have nerfed the progression simply because they have no content, now new players like me cant do anything but mine.  

They should just throw the game on easy mode until they add some other stuff to it then do a financial wipe of all assets turning all ships made into blue prints, but keeping researched skills.  Their real problem is they launched the game before it had any real content to get money to develop it, and painted them selves in a corner because they refuse to wipe the server.

What your buying is just a build tool with the requirement to grind mining.   At least if they had implemented a creative build mode where players could build whatever they wanted with whatever parts they wanted, save the blueprint, then go in game and mine the resources to build the blueprint it would give people something to occupy their time and a goal to work towards.  

A game where your only goal is simply to get out of mining and sell stuff on the market? no thanks hard pass