How to stop my ship from drifting toward planets while in space?

lunaprey

Hi!

Whenever I am in space, my ship starts to drift toward a planet. I have learned that I can turn on my emergency control unit to make the brakes stay on while I am not in the seat while in space, but I am worried that maybe if I look away for too long, it will turn off and my ship will end up falling into a planet. 

Could someone tell me some strategies to keep my ship in space aside from building a space station and parking on it?

I am aware of that lua mod which has auto pilot but I don't want to do that. But I would love to learn about programmable ways to keep the brake activated!

Thank you lots

If you're parked in space at a distance where brakes are enough to keep you in place, consider doubling that distance until you stop moving towards the planet completely.
(easily tested by showing trajectory view with 'x', and it not automatically pointing towards the planet the moment you stop to zero with brakes)

3 hours ago, LouHodo said:

List your ship in orbit.  This is what I do.

Talk about a recipe for disaster.....

Hard to dock back on to if you leave it since it is moving and if it is moving fast enough to orbit then somebody could just pull in front of it and slam on the brakes to wreck it.

1 hour ago, Daphne Jones said:

This isn't KSP. Orbits really aren't stable enough in DU to count on that - and, since the space stations are stationary, you're setting yourself up for a collision.

Didn't realize you were leaving the ship to traverse down to the surface.  I thought it was just to walk around inside the ship.  

2 hours ago, Revelcro said:

Talk about a recipe for disaster.....

Hard to dock back on to if you leave it since it is moving and if it is moving fast enough to orbit then somebody could just pull in front of it and slam on the brakes to wreck it.

True.  But docking can be done.  I have done it for a org mate who can't wrap his head around orbital mechanics.     

As for the other part .  Well that is a nature of DU currently.

8 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

Didn't realize you were leaving the ship to traverse down to the surface.  I thought it was just to walk around inside the ship.  

Well, I don't know what the OP is doing, but I've certainly done both of those things. Currently, I would use be inclined to use an ECU for either scenario to avoid the risk of collision.