Log Off & how it affects our speed.

Underhook

What I know (from testing):

So, we are travelling at 29,999 (top speed)

We log off:  Upon logging back in we are doing 28,500 (so, our speed was reduced by 1,500)

If we log off and back in again our speed will be 27,000 and so on.

What NQ has said:

If the player logs off:  Whilst logged off the ship wont be moving.  Upon logging back in again the ship will continue moving but at reduced speed (see what I know above).

Whilst the player is logged off.  If any other player is in the vicinity our ship will continue to move.  As I understand it, our ship that was doing 29,999 when we logged off will be stationary until we log back in or another ship comes within radar range  ((not sure if they need radar fitted for it to count) 2su}.  If another ship comes within that range our ship will be moving.

What I dont know:

1) Whilst logged off: When a player see's my ship, is it travelling at 29,999?  or does the act of seeing my ship make it travel at 28,500?  This is very important in regards to PvP.

2)  So, if the above (1) does slow my ship does it slow again, to 27,000 when I log back in.

3)  If, we are seen by multiple ships does our ship get multiple slow downs?  Are the slow downs dependant on number of spacecraft or number of players?  So, would a vessel with 4 players slow our ship by 6000?

The inexplicable:  So, what just happened to me.  I started my trip from Jago to Alioth last night (3 to 4 hour trip).  I travelled out of the main shipping lane.  About a third of the way I logged off (doing 29,999) and went to bed.  I live in Australia so the majority of the population of DU probably plays whilst I'm asleep.  This morning I logged in and my ship is stationary.  Is it just a bug?  Or was I spotted by at least 20 other players, resulting in my ship losing all its speed?

If you know the answer, you deserve a prize.  For the 1st correct answer I will boost your container of choice to level 5 mass (only lvl 3 volume).

23 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Whilst logged off: When a player see's my ship, is it travelling at 29,999?  or does the act of seeing my ship make it travel at 28,500?  This is very important in regards to PvP.

As I understand the explanation, when the player who sees your ship is assigned "ownership" of its movement, it takes on the reduced speed.

24 minutes ago, Underhook said:

So, if the above (1) does slow my ship does it slow again, to 27,000 when I log back in.

Doubtful, as the "ownership" is likely still theirs until you hop back in the seat. Even then, I would imagine if said ownership changes immediate hands there is no change in speed. What was described, to me, sounds like the slowdown occurs when the ship goes from no ownership to some one getting assigned it.

30 minutes ago, Underhook said:

If, we are seen by multiple ships does our ship get multiple slow downs?  Are the slow downs dependant on number of spacecraft or number of players?  So, would a vessel with 4 players slow our ship by 6000?

Again, only one person receives the ownership, and I would imagine if it changes hands from person to person you will not see a change. This is my interpretation. 

33 minutes ago, Underhook said:

So, what just happened to me.  I started my trip from Jago to Alioth last night (3 to 4 hour trip).  I travelled out of the main shipping lane.  About a third of the way I logged off (doing 29,999) and went to bed.  I live in Australia so the majority of the population of DU probably plays whilst I'm asleep.  This morning I logged in and my ship is stationary.  Is it just a bug?  Or was I spotted by at least 20 other players, resulting in my ship losing all its speed?

Did you have an active ECU? If so that will slow your ship to 0 when logged off...possibly even if no one is around, I am not sure. Otherwise, perhaps a bunch of difference people "saw" your ship briefly.

3 minutes ago, Musclethorpe said:

As I understand the explanation, when the player who sees your ship is assigned "ownership" of its movement, it takes on the reduced speed.

Doubtful, as the "ownership" is likely still theirs until you hop back in the seat. Even then, I would imagine if said ownership changes immediate hands there is no change in speed. What was described, to me, sounds like the slowdown occurs when the ship goes from no ownership to some one getting assigned it.

Again, only one person receives the ownership, and I would imagine if it changes hands from person to person you will not see a change. This is my interpretation. 

Did you have an active ECU? If so that will slow your ship to 0 when logged off...possibly even if no one is around, I am not sure. Otherwise, perhaps a bunch of difference people "saw" your ship briefly.

Thanks for your input.

No, I didnt have and ECU

I am updating this, just in case some of you are interested.

Last night I was slow boating from Ion to Alioth.  I was travelling outside the shipping lane and about one third of the way there I logged off and went to bed.  This morning I logged on and my ship was stationary.  This is now the 2nd time its happened.

Conclusion:  It would seem that if we log off and back in again we lose 1500kmph from our speed (but we are still moving).  However if we log off for a considerable time (hours?) our ship will be stationary upon log in.

Why does it matter:  NQ says that if our ship is seen (on radar I believe, so 2su) it will be moving.  But if we are logged of for a long time, does it mean we wont be moving (siting duck).  Also, its important to know for those who travel with minimal fuel reserves.

From out tests the system is completely screwed up.

They tried to fight alt+f4. Now it's just shitshow of ships stopping/accelerating for no reason randomly.

I don't even want to try explaining the mechanics, it's like smoking a kilo of marijuana and doing math afterwards. Nothing makes sense. There are 100500 "know how"s now that you can use to manipulate it.

You probably stopped because of the server reboot.

IMHO it's the worst part of 0.23.

P.S: 

I don't need a container boost.