[Discuss] We've Heard You!

NQ-Naunet

25 minutes ago, Heliospear said:

Hi NQ,

I think your have a great game already. I enjoyed it and it gives lots of opportunities to create and build stuff. This part of the game is working very well.

You miss player interaction? As long as ores are plenty, there is no need to interact, schematics or not. If there is a limit of resources, struggle and powerplay starts.

Some more thoughts:

if you want to commit yourself to a game like this and its mechanics, you want to have an idea what you can expect, because it can and should be a long lasting experience.

When it comes to the "civilization" aspect, I'm wondering what you guys think a civilization actually is... just things? Buildings, Ships and industries? That's a very limited and sad vision.

A civilization is its culture, what comes for it's environment, it's stories, it's inventors and it's visionaries. And it's not on a developer to decide what the peoples vision has to be. Deal with the fact that you gna have very different  intentions and visions and that the players will strive and fight for them, if they can do it on a "fair" and leveled playing field.

If you want to give the player the opportunity to build a new civilization, you have to decide what is a civilization made of? What technological level are you dealing with?

If we are talking about a futuristic realm, at the very first you have to define the energy on which the whole thing is running on. Everything else has to be related, limited and defined by energy, its disitribution and allocation. This will bring a cost to every produced item, the more energy is needed the higher the cost will be, beyond the ores. People could make income by just producing energy, selling it to a nearby factory or city for example. Just by a certain limit of energy generation you give the people a reason to deal with each other.

If the state of technology provides you with nanotech, every singe item shall be recycled to its basic elements and reconfigured.

Does the nanosuit provides you with food and water? It could give the game a very immersive gameplay, if you have to deal with other basic needs that just having fuel or a new engine. You have vast but empty planets and their surfaces are just there to place static cores and move some dirt?  How does there different environment effect your gameplay beyond gravity? Do I have to deal with temperature, pressure, radiation or meteroids? What a wasted gift. If just the plants have a reason to be there, it would be amazing. Not talking about computing wildlife. I don't have to hunt deer of breed sheep in a space game. But different Biomes could have a purpose, providing different kind or amount of resources and energy. Equitorial tiles could have strong solar and high biomass, arctic tiles provide freshwater or special ores. Lunar regolith could provide isotopes enriched by cosmic radiation. Different environments force you to distribute, trade and simply move stuff for a reason. Every place should have it's special purpose and reason to go there :)

cheers and keep the good stuff coming :)

You put a lot of effort into the post and it is interesting.  I think its a bit narrow though.  With regards to energy, you seem to be focusing on a very small part of human history (maybe 200 years).  It is conceivable and definitely possible that all energy production could be free within the lifetime of many on the planet.  The fossil fuel industry is doing their best to stop that happening.  Before energy was a thing, the big money was in food production.

1 hour ago, Lavayar said:

[THE REMOVAL OF COLLISION DESTRUCTION]

This will lead to overproducrion of items again. PvP occupies not big part of the game. Game needs ways to sink elements not only in PvP. Just fix your physics. It's not sustanible when whole ship blows up from hitting small rock. 

Agreed... 

If you crash, you still have to spend ages repairing the ship.. a lot of crashes (not all, but a proportion) are still caused by janky framerates, lags and (in my case yesterday losing a life on two L adjusters!) an uncontrollable spin due to high school level control programming whereby, if your computer skips a frame or two just as you let go the key, the LUA adjuster-stop-function subroutine that is supposed to return the adjuster level to 0 is never called and you end up offset from zero permanently... 

Also remember that in a collision, damage is applied ONLY to the elements regardless of how many voxels you have. You think you can protect your elements with a thick shield of voxels or embed them... LOOOOOL Nope... Impact damage completely disregards and skips the voxels and jumps from element to element based on distance from impact until all the damage is absorbed... potentially with enough damage transmitted from component to component to completely destroy all elements on your ship regardless of intervening concrete/titanium.... gold...

Clip the wingtip of an XS core ship at 150kph into another XS ship sitting on a landing pad: no biggie... Clip a stationary abandoned started speeder with an  M wing of your 10kT superfreighter at 150kph and boom: enough damage to destroy the wing AND transmit the remaining damage to surrounding components. And the little XS ship just sits there giving you the middle finger. ...

You can bump into a single floaty voxel that renders as your ship is passing (either just in front or even effectively inside it if your ship is larger) and if it's a 1kT beast it will be completely destroyed if travelling at >100kph (28 mps)... that's what all the complaints are about on the forums due to players building single voxel towers to cater to the broken-ass mechanics of AGG ships. Now add to that permanent death AND schematics to rebuild and you end up with complete, undaulterated bullshit.

So to cut a long story... well,  not at all.... I am 100% a proponent of rolling back crash damage on impacts until their flight and damage mechanics are CAST IRON level done and tested.

1 hour ago, Aviator1280 said:

I can't understand seriously. I was not going to bother to wait for the production time if I needed few elements to build a ship or upgrading my factory, I was going to the market to buy them... it wasn't this that NQ wanted? I was already doing it.

This first bit!!! 100%

OK, so Schematics cost for T1 stuff will be reduced.
everybody in game will be able again to build their own stuff.
Even though i appreciate the change, i personally spent most my money since 0.23 in T1 Schematics to set up an industry to create those mainly T1 parts affeccted by the element destruction mechanics ( which oops.. won't happen)
i assume no refund will happen...
so all for nothing .. let's start over ( yet again)

4 minutes ago, Hagbard said:

OK, so Schematics cost for T1 stuff will be reduced.
everybody in game will be able again to build their own stuff.
Even though i appreciate the change, i personally spent most my money since 0.23 in T1 Schematics to set up an industry to create those mainly T1 parts affeccted by the element destruction mechanics ( which oops.. won't happen)
i assume no refund will happen...
so all for nothing .. let's start over ( yet again)

Probably you didn't read the full story, they said they will refund if you bought schematics

Good morning all,

Everything is done so that I go to the market regularly.
The concern is that, with my adsl connection, I have network errors as soon as I approach a large construction (even mine).
You can imagine that this kind of problem does not allow me to play without risking a lot of loss.
except change connection, what can I do?

7 hours ago, Morndenkainen said:

Well, since a lot of us decided to speak with our wallets, I'd sincerely hope that you'd come to the conclusion that it's your paycheck on the line if you don't listen....

At some point you would think that people would consider the amount of outright rudeness in their posts.

If people have nothing constructive to say, then please don't bother.

Short-term -- harmful. Long-term -- useless.

Most people not "concdede defeat" and will pretty quickly claw back (generating hatred over grind) to at least T3 individualy/in small groups, with time -- critical T4. Alts usage or patience cover needed skills. Moment NQ introduce "fun" methods of grinding money, players immediately start to use them to bankroll own private industries with doubled or trippled force. 

JC with now his disign generaly tries to do something against wind.

First thing first, I do acknowledge the need to slow down players progression overall. We are indeed going fast and that's not always for the better. But..

This is still making a paywall as a ladder. not only does it not achieves what it should do on the long terms, but it also creates a feeling of disconnection. There is nothing engaging in just mining for money. There is no point, no fun. It's a tedious process which cuts you from what you want to do: industry.

I'm not against gating schematics behind a Research and development process that would require actions and interaction from the player in order to discover new schematics. But if it consist of sending players to plunder planets of their resources and then send these resources in the void (selling to bots) for Quantas, that's stupid. It does not provide anything as a whole. I'm just wasting time and resources for in the end very little gain.

You guys NEED to implement a true and engaging process to unlock schematics. My proposed solution is Research and Development feature that would require a player to monitor elements of a ship (airfoil, atmo/space engine, atmo/space brakes, etc...) and one type at the time to "collect data". We can then imagine a contract between two players where one is putting the data collector on his ship to collect data for an other player that then would have to proceed these data through a dedicated interface in order to gain progress points that would lead to in the end with a few resources and a few quantas to unlocking schematics.

The idea of one schematics per machine is also stupid and while it might slow down progress in the short term in the long term it won't do nothing.

The main idea was needed, but the path chosen is bad, wrong and shortsighted. We need a really engaging and interesting way to unlock these schematics that does not require us to brainlessly mine for hours before sending all these resources in the void.

You want a player driven economy, but there is nothing to make it a good experience.

The gui of the market place hasn't even the simple function of filtering planets. There is no history of prizes or perhaps an export function. How we should analyse the market?

There are simply numbers and that numbers changes even when you have filtered it by distance. Every 5 to 10 sec the sort is changing. With this an overview is very difficult.
the market gui seems to be made by a person, who dont know whats the important things there must be.
the main thing is that it is available and nothing more.

I think that 0.23 was a great update. Not because it made everything all better, but because it started moving the game in the direction that was originally described in the kickstarter. I wasn't able to actually start playing the Beta until 2 months in, and I was astonished to see solo players that could already manufacturer everything in the game. Not to mention Organizations that could mass produce everything. I like the idea of 0.23, and the adjustments that are being made as a result. The game is still in beta. So, there will be a lot more major changes before it is done. I for one am excited to see what else is coming down the pipe. Keep up the good work NQ

0.23 and What We Learned

In reading through the reactions from our community regarding the recent 0.23 update, we’ve gained some valuable insights. 

Before we talk about the changes we’ll make in our processes going forward, let’s get back to the fundamental reason behind the update itself. What we did in 0.23 is at the heart of the vision for a game where a society of players is interacting directly or indirectly with each other through an elaborate network of exchanges, cooperation, competition and markets.

As it was, the current state of the game consisted mostly of isolated islands of players playing in almost full autonomy. A single-player game where players happened to share the same game world but with little interactions.

It’s hard to imagine how the appeal could last for more than several months for most players once they feel they have “finished” the game. It is also a missed opportunity to try something of larger proportion, a society of players growing in a fully persistent virtual world. For this to work, you need more than isolated gameplay. Players need to have viable reasons to interact and need each other.

In many single-player space games, you have ways to make money, and the game then offers you ways to convert this money into whatever you need in the game to progress, mostly via markets. This is the state in which we should end up for Dual Universe once all the necessary ingredients are in place, You get into the game, you farm a bit of money in fun ways, and you buy more and more powerful ships, equipment, weapons, etc., to help your character grow. The difference is that here, the ships or equipment you buy have been made by other players, instead of the game company. On the surface and during the first hours of gameplay, to a new player it would look similar to any of those other space games, but it would in fact reveal itself to be much deeper once you spend a bit of time in the game. Everything you would do would be part of another player’s or organization’s plan, everything would have a meaning. And soon you would realize that you too could be part of the content creation and, somehow, drive the game in the direction you want.

In its current beta stage, DU doesn’t have enough ways for people to make money because we haven’t yet had the opportunity to implement all of the necessary features. There’s mining, of course. Trading is not as good as it will eventually be because markets are not really used to their full potential. As a consequence, players rightfully turned to a solo or small org autonomous game mode. 

We tried to nudge people out of this with the changes introduced in 0.23. While necessary, many players expressed that the changes of 0.23 came too soon because it lacked a variety of lucrative ways for people to make money outside of mining.

Couldn't such thoughts be had BEFORE something was done? I mean you clearly realize that there are not enough ways to make quanta and draw the conclusion that this is why ppl  were building everything for themselves, leading to solo play and isolation. Yet you drop a patch which completely changes EVERYTHING and doesn't SOLVE anything (quanta generation).

Why is it so hard to think about basic consequences? JC even acknowledged that in that QA stream "we know we don't have enough means to generate quanta, but we will put in a huge quanta sink nonetheless". Maybe think about consequences first and if you're not sure how ppl play your game then ASK them.

A very good patch for the longevity of the game presented poorly is worse then an ok patch presented well.

What We’ll Do Now

The vision expressed above still holds. We want people to consider going through the industry specialization only if they intend to become industrialists and not necessarily to sustain their individual needs; however, we understand that it’s too soon to press for intense specialized gameplay considering the lack of sources to earn money. 

Here’s our plan for now. We will modify the formula of the schematic prices to make it considerably more affordable for Tier 1 and still challenging and worth a commitment but less intense for anything Tier 2 or above. 

This will allow most factories focused on T1 to resume their activities rapidly while keeping an interesting challenge for higher tiers, spawning dedicated industrial facilities aiming at producing to sell on the markets. We will also reimburse players who have bought high-priced schematics since the launch of 0.23 (please give us some time since it may take a few days as we go through the logs).

We will keep monitoring the price of schematics to see if it makes sense to increase or decrease the costs. The right approach to set such a price would be to evaluate how much time it takes to recoup your investment by selling the products that the schematics allow to produce. It should be a few months so that the investment is a real commitment and it makes sense to plan for it.  We currently lack the metrics to properly assess this return on investment time. We need a player-driven market price for the components and a market price for the products to assess the profit made by each run of a schematic. This will come when the markets start to work as intended, and we can gather more data about them.

ok, fair enough. But you DO have an estimate of prices as long as bots buy T1 ore. At least for items made from those. But I understand that this is simply a balancing issue

Feedback and Testing

The release of 0.23 also taught us that we need improved ways to test new features, both internally and with community participation. The Upvote feature on the website was a good start, but it’s not enough. 

To address this, we have two courses of action that will be taken. The first will be to set up an open public test server, hopefully with shorter release cycles, for players to try out new features. This will also allow us to explore ideas and be more iterative. If all goes according to plan, this test server should be introduced for 0.24, the next release. It will mirror the content of the production server with regular updates to sync it. 

The second important initiative is to revise the role of the Alpha Team Vanguard (ATV), getting them more involved in early discussions about new features and the evolution of the game. We are still defining the framework, so more information will be released as available. 

The upvote feature is a joke, as I showed you already. And since nothing on how you use that data/how this affects your decisions is communicated with the playerbase, we have no way of knowing.

Test server: good. finally

ATV: why not do those discussions with all players? one thread, gather information. Why should it be limited to some ppl?

What is to Come

In the short term, we will push a few corrections to improve 0.23, which include:

• Ships will now stop (be frozen) when their core is destroyed in PvP, making them easier to catch.
  • Element destruction will impact the restoration count only when it occurs through PvP, at least for now (not when the ship is colliding/falling as we want to avoid having players penalized simply for crashing their ships because they’re learning how to maneuver them, for example).
  • Recycling of un-restorable elements through a recycler that will take an element as input and grant a small amount of the schematics required components as output.

The next major release is already in the making and will be about the mission system, a first step toward giving players more fun ways to earn quantas. We will reveal about it shortly so that we can get as much feedback as possible.

We also want to reassure you that the mission system is not the only answer to offering more varied ways to earn revenue in Dual Universe. Things like asteroid mining and mining units will be introduced in the next few months. 

This list is by no means complete, but should be a good jumping off point that gives players reasons to fight and to explore, opportunities for pirates, new ways of making money, and a plethora of other activities our creative community will think of even if we didn’t. 

That’s it for now! We want to thank you again for your support and patience as we progress along this beta road! See you soon in Dual Universe!

Since I don't play anymore, I will focus on the following:

I really hope that you get that info out there ASAP - you know, because you learned so much from 0.23.

I love it how, in the first paragraph, speak about having fun ways to earn money and how mining is the only option now. And here you are proposing even MORE mining as ways to generate quanta.

And yes I'm aware that asteroid mining/mining units may be unique to PVP space (which I doubt) but that doesn't mean that there will be more PVP or pirates attacking those ppl mining there when they don't earn enough money that way cause ppl delete all their stuff when attacked.

So all in all I guess you heard the community but lets see how that works out first.

Pretty hard to write anything positive about this when for years now NQ acted as they did - you need an equal amount of years with positive things, communication and actual listening to your playerbase to overwrite those bad times.

6 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Couldn't such thoughts be had BEFORE something was done? I mean you clearly realize that there are not enough ways to make quanta and draw the conclusion that this is why ppl  were building everything for themselves, leading to solo play and isolation. Yet you drop a patch which completely changes EVERYTHING and doesn't SOLVE anything (quanta generation).

Why is it so hard to think about basic consequences? JC even acknowledged that in that QA stream "we know we don't have enough means to generate quanta, but we will put in a huge quanta sink nonetheless". Maybe think about consequences first and if you're not sure how ppl play your game then ASK them.

A very good patch for the longevity of the game presented poorly is worse then an ok patch presented well.

Your point which is very valid, was lost in a wall of text. So I am highlighting it for you here. :)

10 hours ago, LosNopales said:

The item below makes me sad.  I liked that changed.  It was pretty much the only thing that was going to restart the market. 

• Element destruction will impact the restoration count only when it occurs through PvP, at least for now (not when the ship is colliding/falling as we want to avoid having players penalized simply for crashing their ships because they’re learning how to maneuver them, for example).

NQ could, if its possible, create a "Construct-Testing Zone" about a few Kilometers from your Location and a long Cooldown in which the player cant get any Damage to his Construct and cant use Mining-Tool etc. to avoid abusing this mode. 

With regard to the 12-minute warning of a 4-hour maintenance period just now:

NQ, you said you were listening. Really? 12 minutes?

As others have repeatedly said: Play your own game from scratch, without God-mode, day in, day out. Try, try and try again to feel what it is like to be in the game, not a mere observer.

Of all your recent kneejerk reactions to the state of the game this one vividly demonstrates that you are hearing the noise of dissent, but not understanding it.

Industries should be bought or produced at a basic stage to produce T1 providing talents for T1 elements are achieved. 

"Motherboards" should be bought (not single schematics for each element) to upgrade to T2, T3, T4. Those should cost some.

Once the industry is upgraded can produce elements still providing talents are achieved.

3 minutes ago, Aviator1280 said:

Industries should be bought or produced at a basic stage to produce T1 providing talents for T1 elements are achieved. 

"Motherboards" should be bought (not single schematics for each element) to upgrade to T2, T3, T4. Those should cost some.

Once the industry is upgraded can produce elements still providing talents are achieved.

doesn't make that much sense as the important things about industry related to the raw materials is the hardware, not the software. Take refiners for example, you probably would have something in there that reduces ore to dust before getting the pure. This process would need components specific to the ore and it does make sense, that its more expensive for one type of ore than for the other. Thats nothing that could be solved with a new motherboard or similar.

1 minute ago, vylqun said:

doesn't make that much sense as the important things about industry related to the raw materials is the hardware, not the software. Take refiners for example, you probably would have something in there that reduces ore to dust before getting the pure. This process would need components specific to the ore and it does make sense, that its more expensive for one type of ore than for the other. Thats nothing that could be solved with a new motherboard or similar.

Saying "Motherboards" was just an example to say an upgrade need to be done software or hardware doesn't matter, the concept is the same. It is an upgrade to increase the level and not only to produce 1 single element.

Hi,

Let me add something to do this as I played a fantastic game called Star Wars Galaxies (Player Driven Sandbox) but of course this lacked the 'space' element with true PVP.

Your rollback was needed and wanted.  I agree that higher Tier crafting needed a way for a timesink and yes this was via money.  However those who have millions/billions are still able to get up and running so it wont halt this element at all.  What was needed was even a money wipe potentially if that was your goal?  Either way it was a fundamental change and I guess it is your way to do that.  In additional there is a lack of Quanta earning,  you either mine or craft.  Mining is boring (look at Starbase even looks cool) its a massive timesink and sure you may get lucky on those big 'ores'.  Warp reduced the 'risk significantly' however Warp maybe be useful if exiting still in a PVP zone so still an element of risk?

Regarding Elemental Damage it was CRAZY to have so few charges.  I still think this should be increased.  At least then they will still 'decay' and therefore need replacements but not to the extreme levels saw before the roll back (clip an adjuster for example).  Charges like 10/15 would have saw less 'complaints'.  Decay of course is important.  That said how are you ever going to convince anyone to PVP based on 3/5 charges?.  Let face it PVP is the timesink, the sandbox goal you want in a thriving civilization and once this is 'sorted' or even improved vast sums will be spent in this area thus reducing the need for changes elsewhere.

Finally only one thought you now admit about the need for a public test server, the fact you gave a heads up to a few who were able to stockpile was shameful.  This allowed them to do what they needed and benefitted.  Please focus on the new player experience as this is where your $$ will come from.

Cheers

With the test server will this serve the role of the creations testing too, with having unlimited everything to build ships factory's space stations to the hearts content to then be able to move Blueprints over to the real server once happy with final products? this would of course help in the aid of testing on a test server too.

3 minutes ago, Gallaoth said:

With the test server will this serve the role of the creations testing too, with having unlimited everything to build ships factory's space stations to the hearts content to then be able to move Blueprints over to the real server once happy with final products? this would of course help in the aid of testing on a test server too.

A test server is needed but no to take bp from there and import in the normal server. That is needed only to learn how to build and what we have to build. The building should be done in the normal server

I had a big factory so 0.23 affected me greatly. But that does not mean I was against it in principle.
I am not so sure the schematics solves anything in the long run as it is just a one-off investment cost. I will help get a more healthy market, but it will also make high-tier industry exclusively for early adopter big organisations. Organisations that want to get into it later will find it very hard to build up the investment and to compete on prices. So do solo-industrialist. It will stimulate organisations trying to dupe new players into being their 'mining slave' (I have seen some of that already), but will it make healthy and active player-interaction? I am not so sure: missions you need to do in a group, PVP and other cooperative activities work much better for that then Industry.

But aside from the downsides of the schematics: In my opinion the most imported market improvement in 0.23 was actually the destruction of elements. 

The 'fixes' now proposed make matter worse instead of better in my opinion:
 - Setting up a Tier one factory is already possible (I managed), so that did not need fixing: it will only increase oversupply on an already slow-moving market.
 - By removing the breaking of items there will be an even lower turnover on the market. That has been the biggest market problem from the start: if you can endlessly reuse and repair items, only new players occasionally buy something. You need a healthy amount of destruction to get a healthy throughput on the markets. PVP alone will not do that.

Why is the destruction removed again? 0.23 stimulate people to start with smaller ships and more T1 elements, and build up over time from that. So the destruction fits: those ships are not that hard to replace or repair. 
People should not fly large core 20-engine monsters until they know what they are doing.

So for me this change removes the good bits of 0.23, and makes the bad bits of 0.23 worse. I think the result will be even less healthy markets.

Update (after the patch): I stand corrected: they did not only lower the schematic prices on Tier 1, but across the board. Making a big factory is still a serious investment and not something to do casually, but it is not only achievable for big organisations anymore.
I still think we need to get the destruction back to get more activity on the markets. People should just fit an ECU and enough breaks and they survive a disconnect. Most of the people disconnect on purpose to save their ship: that is an exploit in my opinion. But they prefer to wine and complain :(.

10 hours ago, twistedjonny said:

You're not speaking for everyone here. I don't want to produce everything so I can play it as basically a single player sandbox. You shouldn't be able to just produce everything extremely easily. You should have to interact with the markets and other players, just like the real world as far as production goes. That is NQs vision for THEIR game. Right now, the people playing the solo type game style are not playing it how they want the game to be played. I agree 100% with how they said most would get bored after a few months of just being able to produce everything in the game. That is "end game" and there is no real meaning past it. You don't have to work for anything. Unless all you want to do is build ships and constructs, then sure, that's cool for you, but that's not everyone in the game. I love the market side of things and want to see it play a larger role.

If you expect an "End Game" in a sandbox your doing it wrong! That's a big problem on the players side I see all these people nowaday's expect lvl 80 and End game content. (In a week no less) This is a "Sandbox" There is NO END GAME!! 

6 hours ago, WylieFox said:

As a programmer, I just have to say how impressed I am with what NQ is doing.. things are going to continue to be bumpy for a long time, but ultimately, it's up to us, the community to really build cool experiences for each other

Like you go code, get paid, pay what you earned for the game and then code and build the game you paid for ?

15 minutes ago, Emma Roid said:

I had a big factory so 0.23 affected me greatly. But that does not mean I was against it in principle.
I am not so sure the schematics solves anything in the long run as it is just a one-off investment cost. I will help get a more healthy market, but it will also make high-tier industry exclusively for early adopter big organisations. Organisations that want to get into it later will find it very hard to build up the investment and to compete on prices. So do solo-industrialist. It will stimulate organisations trying to dupe new players into being their 'mining slave' (I have seen some of that already), but will it make healthy and active player-interaction? I am not so sure: missions you need to do in a group, PVP and other cooperative activities work much better for that then Industry.

But aside from the downsides of the schematics: In my opinion the most imported market improvement in 0.23 was actually the destruction of elements. 

The 'fixes' now proposed make matter worse instead of better in my opinion:
 - Setting up a Tier one factory is already possible (I managed), so that did not need fixing: it will only increase oversupply on an already slow-moving market.
 - By removing the breaking of items there will be an even lower turnover on the market. That has been the biggest market problem from the start: if you can endlessly reuse and repair items, only new players occasionally buy something. You need a healthy amount of destruction to get a healthy throughput on the markets. PVP alone will not do that.

Why is the destruction removed again? 0.23 stimulate people to start with smaller ships and more T1 elements, and build up over time from that. So the destruction fits: those ships are not that hard to replace or repair. 
People should not fly large core 20-engine monsters until they know what they are doing.

So for me this change removes the good bits of 0.23, and makes the bad bits of 0.23 worse. I think the result will be even less healthy markets.

Because element damage in its current form is penalizing people due to game lag, bugs, clipping etc.  The number of charges is far far too low.  I needed to be 10/15 and still work as a form of 'decay' without costing the earth to those who get hit by those bugs.  For example on day one my ship hit and blew something not loading up and ended -1000 underground!.  One charge down.....  In other games decay is overtime use and repairing slowly reduces overall hitpoints.  They could have added a system like in Star Wars Galaxies which you can improve the hitpoints via skills etc.