Is this a joke?

GryphTG

The problem with blaming CPU bound on low FPS, is that with regard to DU the CPU is used to calculate voxels/stream server meshes. So there is a paradox here. Not being able to stream all the voxels in time (causing high CPU usage) should actually translate to less work for the GPU and higher fps. But this is clearly not happening in DU, and the effect we are seeing are typical for badly designed graphical systems that does not properly decouple CPU and GPU operations.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, GryphTG said:

I present to you this carrot.

This is a carrot.

Now, several times, it has been inferred that what I actually presented was a potato.

I can assure you that a carrot was presented to one and all. Several people were successfuly able to recognise that it was in fact a carrot.

At the first instance of potato confusion, i presented a handy guide - a 101 to identify what a carrot is and what it means. SInce then, said carrot has repeatedly been referred to as  a potato.

Performance logging = carrot - Performance issues = potato.

The order in which instructions are carried out, and the degree = carrot  - The speed at which an end user can execute said instructions based on their hardware = potato.

My point = Carrot - The inference of 2 individuals as to what my point is = Potato

You don't have to like carrots - nobody asked you to, but I can assure of this:

This here carrot I showed you sure as f**k ain't a friggin potato.

As a simpler example:

Right now, if you walked in front of an automatic door, logic would dictate that the door should open for you. At present what's actually happening is that, the door opens, but only after several windows have opened and a desk lamp somewhere on 3rd has turned on. Nothing on my end is going to affect the door, the only thing affecting the door is the decisions made on how the door should operate when the door was placed.

What I am looking to discuss is whether or not anyone looked at the door when it was installed, tested it's function, watched the windows open and shut, watched the light  blink on and off on 3rd before the door finally opened and decided that they were OK with how that functioned and that it would be okay to charge people for use of the door.

That in turn would lead to discussion on why decide to charge for the door, when there are other free doors that just open and shut. What drove the decision to charge for a door that doesn't operate in a sensible manner? Was cashflow a pressing issue. Because if cashflow is a pressing issue at the point of putting a door in and you've still got a house to build, well - that's a bit of a concern isn't it.

Furthermore, if said door was 6 years on from its initial funding round and over 21 million has been raised across several rounds of funding for said doors, you'd be inclined to ask where the f**k the money went and why the f**k the windows are opening at random because that could be fixed for free.

I only say this because the door I made opens and closes. I took great pains to ensure it does and when I advertise, I will be taking further pains to ensure that what I offer is what I made when it comes to asking people to part with money. If it's not quite done when I ask for that money, that's fine - but I'll be required to disclose in my advertising that teh advert is not reflective of the current product.  90% of my development has been ensuring sh*t is kosher.

It's a beta. I don't care that it isn;t finished - per my commentary elsewhere.

I do care about dishonesty and a lack of transparency in the industry I want to be a part of, because it makes it so much more difficult for everyone in that industry when somebody knowingly sh*ts the bed.

To be honest, I think you're willfully ignorant - especially as others haven't had the difficulty grasping what you two haven't . The fact that I've unsubbed doesn't really impact any of the points I made.The appointment of more community staff and still no comment either way on the vast majority of technical topics is of relevance to me. If you want to pay, good for you, enjoy. Nobody is trying to ruin your fun. I'll be back at a later point once it's polished. It's not the first time anyone's joined a beta and decided - "nah".

There's 41 other voxel based projects that are live right now, there's several single server MMO's, there's several betas throughout this year alone that were released without charge with more content that didn't advertise what they weren't and there's far more community engagement from other developers.

Beautifully said. What a genius example, and well written! Could never have said it better myself. Thanks.

On 12/15/2020 at 6:50 PM, Penwith said:

If the game is not to one's liking, then move on. Burning the house down or pissing in the pool for those who remain is extremely selfish as in, "I'm angry and by Jove, I'm going to make damn sure to make you angry too!" is not only toxic, but asinine behavior.

This....exactly this. I hope the constantly toxic peanut gallery here on the forum either gets behind the project however it is presented or grows up and moves on to something they do enjoy.