Market clutter

SinDex66

So, I don't think anyone would deny that the markets (at least on Sanctuary and Alioth) are a mess because players just dump their ships everywhere and park without any sense of order or decency (not to mention the unregulated advertisements, etc). I think this could be tackled by:

- Set up a rule whereby a construct left for longer than a month in a safe zone (or maybe any zone not owned by a player or an org they are affiliated to) reverts to No Owner and can be salvaged by anyone.

- Provide a dedicated space around the market for parking and player stalls (ie: two separate areas).

- In the "parking zone", if players park their ships appropriately (within a designated space and not at some janky angle), then the above rule is extended to, say, three months.

- In the player stalls area, constructs pay a small fee that needs to be upkept monthly and, if it does not, the constructs revert as above.

I'm sick of dodging junk every time I go to the markets (mostly the same junk). Especially stuff that is, for example, parked right between the shuttle button and the shuttle, or across the walkways.

Again,

After two hours, automatically dump the ship's cargo, if any, in to the market container nearby. Turn the ship into a special token and also put that into the market container.

The special token can only be used in the same hex as the market container it was pulled from and only one such token can be used every 24 hours.

This not only gets rid of the mess, but also prevents players from exploiting tokenized ships with cargo. It's all still gotta be hauled away and players cannot simply log on every 2.1 hours to replace their crap, in the way of people actually playing the game.

It is not so restrictive that players who have a RL situation and have to log out unexpectedly are penalized as it has no cost to them at all.

If they know they are going to have to leave, they can leave the market and go back to their base.

I wouldn't be averse to any of that, although I do kinda like the idea of having players become the repo-men and stripping down the hulks that are left there. Opens up a whole new occupation.

But, yeah, just removing the clutter would be great.

2 hours ago, SinDex66 said:

I wouldn't be averse to any of that, although I do kinda like the idea of having players become the repo-men and stripping down the hulks that are left there. Opens up a whole new occupation.

But, yeah, just removing the clutter would be great.

I agree, which is why I have made this suggestion more than once.

Some particularly salty former players, or just simply selfish ones, have purposesly logged their crap out at the markets, with the intent to mess with actual players. Which says a lot more about them than it does about the game or its developers.

My suggestion is easy to understand, fair, and has virtually no penalty attached for players who have no choice but to log out when at a market.  It is very resistant to being exploited, as explained, because the token cannot be used anywhere other than the market hex where it was created. And its cargo is also not able to be magically transported around inside that token.

As some, perhaps many, are taking periodic breaks from the game, during paid beta, I think it would be unfair to simply give others the freedom to salvage them all. Instead, the token in the market container is ready for when the absent player returns, and the lag-inducing issues have been resolved.

Was going to post this myself but saw this. +1
Set up a parking lot/garage for people to park in and if they don't use it they get taxed at first, then its open to public, and finally, decays if untouched past a time threshold.

Market looks like crap and no one likes seeing all that junk there that is parked at a weird angle and hasnt budged in weeks.

My only real gripe so far.. otherwise i'm enjoying the game thus far after getting past the wall of tutorial info haha

These suggestions have been posted so many time snow it can only be surmised NQ is not really looking to address this at al as they have pretty much said nothing about any of this..

I posted THIS back in October.. just an example

NQ moving markets away from districts was another example of how NQ tends to span the cart before the horse. It disrupted the district function and reduced functionality of the districts also because they moved the institutes away to one central location. The Districts now look like abandoned building constructs.

So we've had a big ol' chat about this idea, and we've arrived at:

• We don't have the time/resources budgeted in our current feature development sprint to program an elegant solution for this immediately. Having said that, the idea has been saved! I look forward to seeing how we solve this problem once we have the time and resources to tackle it properly.
  • We could enforce some rules 'manually' (GMs and CMs leading the charge by playing interplanetary 'meter maid') but we feel it wouldn't be a very 'clean' process, which we fear would only serve to frustrate players more.

In conclusion, if you don't mind waiting we will save the execution of this idea for a time when we can pay adequate attention to its development. :) 

Not a surprise really. It's a shame NQ did not take the time to ask for feedback before they decided on the currently implemented changes to actually use the allocated resources better at the time they were available. It's not like this has not been brought up repeatedly over the last three years or so. The question how NQ was going to handle these  has been a point of discussion since pre-alpha and it's unfortunate NQ never really engaged with the backers on this at the time while there were ideas floated all this time.

Seeing the mountain of work NQ has yet to complete in the next 8-10 months I highly doubt we'll see anything happen prior to release.

Talking of development sprints.. some feedback on those would be great in a bit more structured way than the occasional bits and pieces we get from JC (as I take it some of the stuff he talks about would be part of these)..

• 1 month later...

All of these ideas seem harsh. I don't want to lose my ship because it's parked at the market. The real problem is that you have to RENDER all of the ships at the market...

Other games have solved this type of problem more elegantly. Here's an example rule:

if there are more than X player constructs in an area, replace rendering them with a sprite if they are not logged in.

Or, here's another idea... Maybe markets could have a "behind the scenes" parking service/garage/port (tractor beam?). You wouldn't even have to bother landing at markets at all. And, all the ships that have used this service don't render at the market (they are "in the garage/port"). If you've configured your flight to "park at the market", then when you get close enough, you get a "parking/loading" screen, your ship gets tucked away in a database, and there you are.

Some other ideas: