Gameplay gone? What´s left to do?

TranscendRat

Hello,

I was just wondering what is happening. The last patches seem to kill all the little content the game has to offer. The Mining gameplay is boring and the crap scanner drives you crazy. But at least with t3+ ores it paid well for the invested time. Since the patch no one buys t3+ ores anymore. Cause no one can effort the factory gameplay anymore. This has shut down most of the trading and transportation gameplay. Element destruction is a nightmare when it comes to expensive elements. What means even the fly for fun gameplay is gone. What is left is the building gameplay. But with which money? And why?

It seems the only thing to generate substential amounts of money is to mine and sell t1 ores to bots. In a subscription model mmo.

For me the reason to play this game was to create and hang around the creations of others. For this the grind has to be reasonable.

I am still building my L-Core Ship (ILLYRIA). Since I only have a little free time (max 1-2 hours per day, and not every day) it is taking weeks to complete.
For this I bought all elements and materials (ca. 150 Million Q) and I have some 20 million Q left.

I will keep building, and until I am finished hopefully some major additions will be coming to DU.

This is why I am virtually "aware" of the whole patch 0.23 drama, but only by reading about it here - I did not notice anything ingame, since I am only staying on my territory and working on the ship. (and recording, because I will be posting a "Making of" video on my YouTube Channel when I am finally done).

↑ Proof that in this world, there is always a subset of people who remain largely unaffected by or even oblivious to seismic shifts in politics and the environment.

This is why this thread is interesting to me,  because it speaks of the “I” rather than starting off with the ephemeral “we” or even worse blanket statements like “TeH ComMunItY” when it’s often actually more of a personal anecdote.

This game is clearly complex and spoke to a wide range of players.  I really hope these changes don’t turn half of them off entirely. 

im still kinda hopeful, but am watching from the sidelines for the time being.  

What we all need to be doing at this point, is getting creative, creating things for each other to do... take this opportunity to learn to code some LUA, join an org that has some interesting stuff going on, or hone those voxelmancy skills. This really is the community's game... all this is easy for me to say, however, as I've already established a sufficient transport ship and base while I could craft everything myself... the big org's better start getting creative with guiding new players to some decent gameplay before the whole project fails though... It does seem like it's going to be up to the community to carry this game forward... but wasn't that what this was all about in the first place?

TBH, all the industry stuff isn't such an issue if you're not just started.

When all went down i had 5mio Quanta in my wallet and no assets i would sell, thus i bought 30 warp cells, hopped in my small warper courier and went to teomas for 2 days where i mined sodium for about 20 hours, earning 30mio in the process. With that i bought the schematics for an advanced s-engines industry, and while the sales aren't anything to write about i got a bulk order thats worth a few millions so far. 

With the dwindling playerbase being industrialist might not be profitable for the next one or two months, but you can still start building something up.

The bigger issue for me is the lack of other content, which is whyplayers leave, and the stupid repair mechanics which completely killed pvp. And JC had the gall to say they know it killed pvp but it will be fine in the future with no intention to fix it for the time being.

15 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

↑ Proof that in this world, there is always a subset of people who remain largely unaffected by or even oblivious to seismic shifts in politics and the environment.

This is why this thread is interesting to me,  because it speaks of the “I” rather than starting off with the ephemeral “we” or even worse blanket statements like “TeH ComMunItY” when it’s often actually more of a personal anecdote.

This game is clearly complex and spoke to a wide range of players.  I really hope these changes don’t turn half of them off entirely. 

im still kinda hopeful, but am watching from the sidelines for the time being.  

This person is an extreme outlier, or not telling the entire truth. Outliers are generally removed from equations because they are extremes that in no way represent the vast majority.

To not be aware of the patch means they do not have a single piece of industry machine, which is difficult to believe if trying to construct an L core ship. Possible, but hard to believe. Especially if they really only have 1-2 hours per day, which means all of that time is spent mining, or taking that ore to market/buy parts, when not building.

I did build a new ship from nano-craftable parts since I can't count on the market anymore... but there's not much point in flying it. I could go mine some T1 and sell it, but it would take forever to make enough money to notice it.

No one is buying ore except the bots and a handful of players who are offering 0.01 q above the bot price. No point in mining T3+, so no reason to spend money flying to other planets. Really not much to do. Pretty depressing, especially since I'm on vacation till the end of the year and have time to play.

Yep. Gameplay is gone as far as I can tell.

Oh, and transport now has a negative value, down from zero value. When you can get a decent price on T3+ it's by selling it on the planet where you mine it. Carry it elsewhere and it loses value. WTF is that about?

It sucks joining orgs though because then they make you sit with them in discord. It would be nice if you could join NPC factions.

The changes don't really impact me since i never setup a factory anyway. As a trader who buys and sells and moves stuff between plants, I look forward to seeing people using the market more on far away planets.

I dont really mine much and never have (NEVER flown to another planet to bring back ore for example and NEVER really sell ore at all), I buy ore from players, make T1 stuff and sell to other player at huge profits, have done since day one of headstart.  My gameplay hasnt really been affected by the changes.  Perhaps NQ wanted us to work within a trading economy all along, they didnt expect a big chunk of the community would want to make everything themselves.

It didnt help that all the content creators pushed this as the only gameplay route.......

20 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

This person is an extreme outlier, or not telling the entire truth. Outliers are generally removed from equations because they are extremes that in no way represent the vast majority.

To not be aware of the patch means they do not have a single piece of industry machine, which is difficult to believe if trying to construct an L core ship. Possible, but hard to believe. Especially if they really only have 1-2 hours per day, which means all of that time is spent mining, or taking that ore to market/buy parts, when not building.

Ahm ... so, I am lying? :)

I've been here from the very first day lad, I also have many videos and a review of DU on my channel. So, I am not lying. Yes, I had 1 refiner, 1 honeycomb machine etc. -- which I explicitly point out in my review as well - because right at the beginning I had created them just to see how stupidly easy it was to create a "factory".
I have never created a single part though - I have mined the first month or so and made some 180 Million Quanta, it is with this money that I had now bought ALL the necessary elements and materials to build my ship (which I started building before the patch).

So, as I've written: I am "aware" of the patch and the whole thing around it, but I am basically completely untouched by it - because I am only staying on my territory and building my ship.
After the patch I only went ONCE to the market to buy some more XS Lights and some more polished steel.

Why is it "difficult to believe" that you do not need industry machines and a "factory" in order to build an L-Core ship? Where is the logic in that? If I want to build an L-Core Ship I do not need Industry - I just need money to go to markets and buy everything I need - which is exactly what I did.

P.S.: BTW, I still have some 20 Million Q left -- so if I need one more Space Engine or whatever - I will naturally go the market and buy it.

20 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

It can be difficult to believe people who have just managed to find different (more successful) ways of doing things.   Most people accuse me of lying when I tell them how I play this game, a few people have listened to me and learnt and are now doing the same thing (they are also not really effected by this patch).

Plenty to do in the games still and plenty of people happily going about doing these things every day. Only last night we had a deal to deliver 200,000 L of Madis soil back to Alioth for a terra project. This forum is not a complete representation of the game's player base by a long shot.

4 hours ago, Burble said:

Plenty to do in the games still and plenty of people happily going about doing these things every day. Only last night we had a deal to deliver 200,000 L of Madis soil back to Alioth for a terra project. This forum is not a complete representation of the game's player base by a long shot.

People transport dirt in space ships. Oh my.