Current Communities Visions - Anyone?

Deintus

When I originally saw and read about the game, the idea of a totally player driven economy was very intriguing. After being registered to these forums for a bit, reading, I bit the bullet and got the game.

My idea was to begin and create a virtual corporation based on ship designs and selling. After I started, it looked promising. Sure I would have to work a bit, but I saw a definite need for cheap, sturdy, ready to buy and fly ships. It looked perfect! I was hoping to start an ORG and hopefully find a way to pay and employ other players to see the end result happen. I would need a way to procure ores, I figured maybe I could strike a contract with a mining org, I thought I could work to buy intermediary products from other orgs, and just produce end parts, such as engines, controllers, etc. inhouse. Then get ship designers to jump in and buy their designs, put the whole thing together, and sell end product to the DU community. I figured that I came into this game early enough to get a foothold to where I could do this as I would have incoming new customers over the next year anyway.

What were other peoples ideas when they came into the game?

*NOTE: I understand that my vision is not possible with the current game state, and not likely to become possible either. I was just curious what other peoples first impressions and ideas where when they first saw and bought into the game.

I wanted to build ships and engage in PvP.  So far I have built some ships and space stations I am very proud of.  Although thats on hold right now (of course).  I have not engaged in PvP at all.  It seems to be something you need a tight group of friends to engage in.  I might be wrong but that my impression so far.

When I first heard about DU and saw some advertisement videos, first I was very hyped about the idea that finally there was a possibility for someone to create his/hers virtual scifi enterprise and build it up to a big org. The second thing that fueled my desire to participate in this single shard game, was that I could explore, combat, build, trade, discover, etc.

This premise was perfect for my virtual scifi enterprise "Space Mining Universal", as the names describes, that would be a mining company hauling and trading valuable ores and materials through out different solar systems. Probably the aspects of the game that drew me in the most were building/crafting and exploring these worlds.

I joined the community back in 2017 and purchased the Gold membership, I did however not play the game until 3 months ago. My first impressions were really good and I really was enjoying the game, up until you fast forward to the date of this post. During the 3 months I've been playing it, quite a few thing have been changing in the game and most of the things I was hyped about are slowly disappearing from it. I understand that this is in Beta stage, though it seems more like an Alpha stage to be honest. Nevertheless what really worries me is that the promised aspects of the game now are being displaced to fit a totally different route that wasn't intended back in the Kickstarter campaign as well as in the first year of development.

Seeing the login start up screen with check boxes for the game elements to come being ticked off in such a hurried manner, without the features even being fully implemented or developed is damn concerning. Also the replies NQ has given its audience for legitimate questions, where there always seems to be a matter of not enough time or resources, only shows that as always promises given were bigger than what could be accomplished.

I really had high hopes for this game to flourish and the possibility for my dream come true in it, now it seems it's not gonna happen.

It's pretty obvious the reasons behind the game starting to fail are poor decisions from behalf of the NQ team and not listening to their audience. My take on it is I think they slowly ran out of budget and the server infrastructure they have in hand is not capable of sustaining their promises, and now are trying to implement whatever they can even if its not fully implemented. I could keep on giving reasons and talking points but this thread wasn't supposed to be about the company's failure to keep on track with their promises, but really more about telling others the vision and ideas one had getting into the game.

PS: whatever happened to the "pets" we would get at some point for certain account types? NQ probably would answer, that's not a priority, it takes time, we need to invest the "budget" in other areas.

Just broken promises and lies.

Anyway guys sorry for the rant, so as @Deintus posted, I also would love to hear your ideas and visions you would bring into the playing field. Cheers!

My vision is to make sporting events and activities and large scale locations for said ventures within the DU arena that take advantage of the enjoyable physics model that underlies hover and flying vessels. Even skydiving as a sport (my real life job) is something I can see possible in the future.

I also am a ship designer, however at present ship design seems to be more focused on how to haul the most ore. It is a shame that creative and artistic assets are less desired than ugly giant bricks that can carry a third world country's GDP in one flight. But this is not the fault of NQ, it is a facet of unimaginative and capitalist driven human players.

That is the only problem with the game right now, in my way of looking at it at least. The pure capitalists. Those who want more money and resources every day but have absolutely no intention of using those riches to make a beautiful environment for anyone else. The new patch has slowed me down briefly in my goals, but I accept that because it has also pushed a little way towards halting the pure and ugly capitalism that apparently humanity is unable to avoid falling into.

5 hours ago, Burble said:

My vision is to make sporting events and activities and large scale locations for said ventures within the DU arena that take advantage of the enjoyable physics model that underlies hover and flying vessels. Even skydiving as a sport (my real life job) is something I can see possible in the future.

I also am a ship designer, however at present ship design seems to be more focused on how to haul the most ore. It is a shame that creative and artistic assets are less desired than ugly giant bricks that can carry a third world country's GDP in one flight. But this is not the fault of NQ, it is a facet of unimaginative and capitalist driven human players.

That is the only problem with the game right now, in my way of looking at it at least. The pure capitalists. Those who want more money and resources every day but have absolutely no intention of using those riches to make a beautiful environment for anyone else. The new patch has slowed me down briefly in my goals, but I accept that because it has also pushed a little way towards halting the pure and ugly capitalism that apparently humanity is unable to avoid falling into.

I agree with your sentiment towards the design of ships, I'm a designer myself and always like to have functionality in companion with great looks. I know that there are a lot of ships out there which only purpose is to get the job done and lack aesthetics. We have to keep in mind though that not all players are designers, and that's ok. This actually makes a great opportunity for designers cause we would have a greater audience to sell nice looking ships to. There is also another factor which contributes to having less design oriented ships, which is that the game being heavily invested into grinding, pushes you towards just making the cut in order to be able to make your virtual company grow economic wise and not lag behind.

And in relation to the sport activities it would be great if we could do something like that within the game. I'd love to wing suit myself from the top of 1km building :)

I understand the rant very much.

I could really envision all of these things together in the ads I saw, from the pvp to even the ship design. I am just now convinced this game is actually Alpha. Maybe we can all see it in a year or so?

I'm a set designer/decorator irl, I love to build, and I love sci-fi. Played a lot of building games, mainly modded Minecraft, factorio and space engineers. Always dreamed about a persistent universe for space engineers but it was pretty clear that simply wasn't possible with its tech.

Then came DU which claimed to have everything I wanted, building, industry and spaceships. 

Was pretty excited about it and honestly I had fun in the last 3 months, mainly because having a wife and a kid (+ work ofc) my progress is slooooow af. Now I'm a little bit upset because I doubt I can keep up with the new industry.

Also haven't touched PvP at all, to be honest by the few video I've watched this PvP doesn't appeal to me at all, so I don't care for PvP atm.

33 minutes ago, Deintus said:

I understand the rant very much.

I could really envision all of these things together in the ads I saw, from the pvp to even the ship design. I am just now convinced this game is actually Alpha. Maybe we can all see it in a year or so?

The game is like couple of lines of code slapped together and thrown to the public to do QA and pay for. That's game industry 2020. Server tech ? It's not what I pay for, I pay for game.

They have a test server for the selected few, there is like no freaking way anyone was testing anything in the last patch. If you crash your ship in space, it will take you HOURS to get that thing back. Damn thing accelerates when you approach it at 1km and then stops, you approach it again and it accelerates again. Stupid crap I call it, no one even tried to crash a ship and see how it goes. All those "testers" did is get inside info and exploit it to get ahead economically.

NQ DUed all wrong to the point I couldn't even imagine what more they could DU wrong.