blazemonger

NQ will introduce a creative mode in game  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on this

• Good
    • Bad
    • Whatever

3 hours ago, Noddles said:

I dont get how people cant see this splitting the community. One of DUs good points is the voxel engine. Even with the limited creation tools we have now, people are still making impressive ships and structures. If all someone wants to do is build cool stuff, what reason is there to interact with the rest of the community? 

And this thread doesn't even cover the fact that they mentioned adding instances PvP arenas where you can fight without putting your ship on the line. Thats honestly an even bigger blunder in the single shard mission.

Uhh to sell their ship.

I don't remember the community interacting with me designing a ship.

All inteeraction took place with the finished product, unless you guys think the only goal of the game is to sit and look at a pretty ship and never use it.

4 hours ago, XKentX said:

it contradicts pretty much the spirit of the game. Single shard universe. If they lose this one, then this game is dead 100%.

No more than tutorials do. It's a minor side issue.

Make it a computer sim element... voila - no immersion break, lol.

Ship building is one of my fav things to do in this game.  The recent update makes it really difficult for ship builders.  However, would not a sandbox building mode mean that builders can totally remove themselves from the games economy?  Other than making quanta from selling blueprints.  They would never have to travel, never have to buy anything, never take a single risk to get parts etc.  It seems as though it would create a single player game.  I think something does need to be done so that creative players can be creative (without months of grinding 1st).  I just don't think removing them from the games economy and risk is the answer.  

13 minutes ago, Underhook said:

However, would not a sandbox building mode mean that builders can totally remove themselves from the games economy?  Other than making quanta from selling blueprints.  They would never have to travel, never have to buy anything, never take a single risk to get parts etc.  It seems as though it would create a single player game. 

Funny enough that was the reason the game didn't have creative mode in the first place.

I think creative mode is a mistake and solves a problem that they created with yet another mistake.

10 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Uhh to sell their ship.

I don't remember the community interacting with me designing a ship.

All inteeraction took place with the finished product, unless you guys think the only goal of the game is to sit and look at a pretty ship and never use it.

But if you have a seperate space with infinite material you never buy things to make the ship. You just take money from the economy by selling the BP. 

At worst id be fine with a system where you could build a plan for a ship that could go into a projector. You cant sell the plan and you have to actually build a ship to make sellable BPs.

3 hours ago, Noddles said:

a system where you could build a plan for a ship that could go into a projector. You cant sell the plan and you have to actually build a ship to make sellable BPs.

This makes a lot of sense to me. In essence you then have a holodeck style design world but in order to make that dream a reality you still have to play the actual game to create a sellable bluprint.

10 hours ago, Noddles said:

But if you have a seperate space with infinite material you never buy things to make the ship. You just take money from the economy by selling the BP. 

At worst id be fine with a system where you could build a plan for a ship that could go into a projector. You cant sell the plan and you have to actually build a ship to make sellable BPs.

What do you think happens with the sold blueprint?

19 hours ago, Mordgier said:

I think creative mode is a mistake and solves a problem that they created with yet another mistake.

Isn't that how things were since beta launch?) 

I'd say the historical precedents are strong on this one... pretty soon the whole game will be a mistake and JC's initial vision of civilization will be a fairy tale we tell our grandkids.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:52 AM, blazemonger said:

It goes against everything NQ set out in their vision

Originally NQ said they were considering some kind of instanced virtual building simulation in the game.  aka creative mode.

Then they changed their mind and decided it went against the "vision".  Not saying they don't change their minds a lot.  But in this case they are considering changing it back.

Honestly they have an amazing toy here, just in the building part of the game, i don't see any good reason not to let people play with it.  If people are building stuff in a creative mode, they're still in the game.  They're still contributing creatively, and socially to the game.  And if they build stuff that people want to buy, then they're contributing to the game's economy too.

The only difference between someone sitting on the sanctuary moon and building stuff, and sitting in a creative mode instance, would be access to free materials. 

They're still in the game.  Still paying a sub too.

First they say one thing. Then they make another one.
It happens once: patience. Turn up your nose but ok.
It happens twice ... already not good. Then you hear stories, rumors about the behavior of the devs and the privileged treatment verses some ... you give us little weight but then the most defended promises over the years begin to waver.
The game changes, so much so that you wonder if you are playing or watching a social simulation. It should have fun. All. But it is becoming self-congratulatory. The realization of a vision, which however is bowing to the laws of money month after month.

I am reading more and more things that I have not liked for two months in DU.
I had paused the game. I was back 10 days ago.
After this patch I know that I will put it back on pause again.

Who knows if I will renew my subscription at the release.

I'm really starting to fear not.

And it's not because the game is changing.
But because is NQ losing my trust.

Who knows ... maybe I won't be the only one ... we'll see ...

I fail to see the problem. Half the people are howling how shitty this patch is and how hard building is/will be and how its now gatekept behind cartel org paywalls and elements explode if you so much as look at them and pvp has more in common with an overflowing sewage plant you live downhill from then a game mechanic and wahh wahh wahh. Yes i know there are problems and i even agree there are problems and that .23 should have been AFTER we had more content but jesus guys.

So NQ proposes a way to build craft or buildings to help ease the hours and hours of mining slogs, dead industry, and more mining slogs just to get anywhere so you can go buy a ship thats used to go mine more and that is for sure going to explode because server bugs so you will be foreced to mine even more to replace it. 

So the reaction is of course you all start howling that "this will kill the game because now no one will design INSIDE the game". Meanwhile according to half the damn posts lately everyone has already left and/or is leaving already. There is afaik no actual game loop content in the pipeline for the next couple patches. One of the few chunks of content we had got nutered necause only 10% were supposed to use it, and now the one we all "LOVE" the most is our only real cash generator in game, a gameplay loop i might add everyone has been howling about running out and leaving every planet as swiss cheese in weeks and which JC thinks is too easy and thus is going to make harder and therefore "even more fun".

People are upset creative mode could kill pvp...

what pvp? most of us are sitting on a safe zone planet forever because there is exactly ZERO REASON to go risk our ships in pvp againt meta borg cubes. Even after the patch warp cells are getting produced again because frankly no one has the TIME to fly 16 hours between planets for the most part and huge crewed ships with people taking turns to fly it simply arent realistic save for a handful of mega orgs and those are our only 2 options for travel. Do the equivlent of a workshift stareing at a screen or warp. Sadly there is NO third option.

To me is this creative mode a bandage? Sure but its also one of the few ways i see short to mid term for anyone to really do anything solo. It also gives people something to do but go mine more while building the occasional pad or XS ship until they are burned out unless they are in a decent sized org. It allows people to play at least the design portion of the game without the entire player base leaving before they can shoehorn more content into the game that is not more and worse mining. Hell its even a great tool for ship builders as we can now test out new designs and materials in said designs that were hard/imposible to get before and may inspire some to actully go earn the mateirals to build those pretty ships.

Its not the change we all would like or we actully need. But it is also not the game killing change people are acting like it will be.

34 minutes ago, Arctic_fox said:

To me is this creative mode a bandage? Sure but its also one of the few ways i see short to mid term for anyone to really do anything solo.

I don't disagree with anything you said before, but you have to understand that once creative mode is added - it's never going away unlike a bandage...

All those fancy hangar bays that you see currently in game are going to instantly become obsolete as there will be zero reason to build outside of VR mode.

I'm not going to be upset about not having work in progress ships owned by players who will never return littering the area  - but then I'll also miss the days when I could actually watch the ships get built. Although - I don't think those days for me will ever come again.

My biggest complaint with it is how hypocritical it is. It's been asked for many times before and shot down each time with that it will remove the requirement to be part of the community to be a ship designer.

The industry schematics were pushed to force greater community interactions and forcing cooperation. (It won't, but that was the intent.)

Now to fix the issues created by the previous change they want to add creative mode that fully allows a solo player to be a hermit?

On 12/12/2020 at 11:32 PM, Daphne Jones said:

No more than tutorials do. It's a minor side issue.

Tutorials do not take anything out of the economy nor do they impact the open world in anyway.

Anyone saying the tutorials are the same thing as a creative sandbox separate from the open world to me indicates you really do not understand any of this.

15 minutes ago, Mordgier said:

All those fancy hangar bays that you see currently in game are going to instantly become obsolete as there will be zero reason to build outside of VR mode.

Exactly this, a big part of the world is the workshops and the work going into them, voxel libraries and more..

All that will go away as there is no more need for that if NQ starts opening up creative mode.

It will kill much of the Industry in game (since, why build/buy anything but the specifics needed for your blueprints) and will be detrimental to the economy

On 12/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, XKentX said:

it contradicts pretty much the spirit of the game. Single shard universe. If they lose this one, then this game is dead 100%.

depends on how its actually realized. If you have a limited virtual whitespace where you can access elements that you previously "scanned" to build xs, s and m sized ships, but are unable to do anything else, it might be fine. There could always be a mechanic implemented that required a "reallife - test" for virtual BPs to be turned into real BPs, which would cost more elements and voxels than deploying it with the final BP (afterall, as everyone loves to talk about reality here, even if you simulate and cad-design items you still have to test it in reality before giving it into production). This way it could even help the economy, because if i build ships in DU i don't really waste any elements or voxels, i might buy a few more elements than i need, but those wlll be used in another build. Thus having an increased cost to turn a virtual BP to a core BP would probably lead to higher sales instead of lower ones.

All those who cannot see evil in the creative mode.

It's very simple. Although others have already explained it.

I want to add a few things.

I am a ship designer. I do small and medium-sized ones. That's the only thing I'm interested in doing in the game. Industry and mining are just annoyances that get in the way between me and ship building.
But they are necessary things inserted in the game context, precisely because they are not pieces unrelated to each other.

If they put creative mode on, I won't be in the game anymore. Never again. I will not spend hours designing my shipyard, nor arranging the containers in order to have order, nor socializing with other players in the game to organize myself on how to find the materials.

All I will do is make my ship in creative mode, hit the "export BP" button and import it into InWorld.

Hi, my gameplay finished.

This, for a single shard sandbox is just plain stupid.

And then, as I wrote above, it is also a consistency problem: first you tell me no, you make sure that a certain thing will never be implemented and you defend it for years. Then suddenly you change your mind?
I can stay there ... once. Then two.
But when the changes to this "Beta" which is an Alpha by the name of Beta start to be a little too radical one also starts to turn the balls.
The Beta serves to refine the problems, not to upset the game mechanics all the time "because things don't go the way you wanted".

One plays for hours, days, weeks, planning an action plan and tries to pursue it. Then they come, they change everything and you have to start over.
One time? Ok. Twice? You puff but ok.
Three, four, five, six times -autuocensored- enough!

I end up losing faith in your work, in your professionalism and in your consistency and I begin to think that you are simply groping in the dark without a clear idea of how to solve things. Being a paying alpha tester is based on the concept that I am trusting you: I give you my money to have a product that will surely change over time, but I give it to you because I like your project.

If your project changes too much, my trust fails and I stop giving it to you.
Simple and straightforward.

13 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Exactly this, a big part of the world is the workshops and the work going into them, voxel libraries and more..

All that will go away as there is no more need for that if NQ starts opening up creative mode.

It will kill much of the Industry in game (since, why build/buy anything but the specifics needed for your blueprints) and will be detrimental to the economy

You're really grasping at straws here.  None of that is true.

People build hangers to show off the stuff they build.  I can promise you that will still happen.

Everyone will still need, want, and make voxel libraries.  In fact if these creative instances were shared, then people could build even bigger, better voxel libraries, because they won't have to farm all the resources to build them.

And elements and honeycomb that people have to buy, just to see what they look like, but then don't have any use for afterword, are a ridiculously small part of the overall economy.

Would you throw a fit if NQ considered adding a way to preview what elements look like?  Or adding the actual dimensions of the elements to the description?  Because that would have the exact same detrimental effect on the economy.