Creative mode is coming.. Seriously NQ?

blazemonger

NQ will introduce a creative mode in game  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on this

• Good
    • Bad
    • Whatever

**WhiteMeat: Hi JC, I really don't have any issues with this update at all honestly, and a lot of unnecessary complaints. However what I love about this game is that you can be creative. What I don't like is that it takes quite a bit of work for you to excersize any type of creativity. Are there plans to give us a bit more freedom for this, rather than spending months to get the right color of honeycomb trained for your building, etc. ?**

NQ-Sophon: We are really considering the possibility to introduce a form of sandbox mode: like a tutorial, but with infinite stuff in it and persistence. It would not be in the real world (so all you can bring along from there is a blueprint), but it would allow you to build, test ships, etc, with no strings attached.

How is this a thing? It goes against everything NQ set out in their vision and actively counters the work they are putting into getting the economy going. What is this with NQ that hey seem to be willing very far in what they think is causing the economy to not start but at the same time pretty much announce they are going to introduce a creative mode which actively takes away a lot from the economy. Is NQ this desperate for funds that they are now on a path to throw overboard one part of the original promise and very string commitments to not ever do this to backers.

The fact JC mentions this concerns me greatly as the pattern has always been that once JC start talking about things like this and in this fashion, we see this appear within 6 months in game as it generally is something that is actually already on the table and in early stages of development.

NQPlease, do not do this. I figure by now it's safe to say that as the backers money has been spent you really do not have much of a consideration for your promises and commitments in the past and wil bypass us in your quest for new money. It's also obviously convenient that anything said during that time is NDA and so you can deny it easily and we have no recourse unless we break NDA. You are tearing down the framework your vision and pitch for the game was based on for the sake of winning over new souls and their money. If you are then just tell us and we can decide whether it is worth sticking around or move on.

Creative mode would pretty much split up the game into three.. The open world PVP game, the "no PVP please" safe zones and now the "I just want to build and not be concerned with cost and effort to get there" game.  I doubt PVP players would have objections against the introduction of PVE content (mostly) outside the safe zones as it will bring them PVP content as well, Creative mode wil not help the game, it will just help your bottom line and your are pretty much selling your soul for that purpose but I am guessing that is what this is all about and that is very unfortunate.

Over the past years many of us have given you a lot of suggestions and ideas about creating more faucets in game but you have not choses to listen if you ever actually bothered to even look at it (there is zero reason to assume you have outside of claims everything is seen, nothing to even slightly indicate this is in fact the case beyond reading the words maybe).

Why are options such as presented HERE not even considered when they will provide more gameplay, incentive to play, remove (financial) blocks and allow players to actually use their game time to build an in game presence outside of reverting to mining. 

Please NQ, don't .. 

It's not he blueprints, it is that you can not pay anything or do anything to test and design your constructs.. you'd have unlimited access to any material and then take what you build into the live game.

All research, design and construction will just more out of the game and be completely free, no effort required and that will greatly impact the economy of the

Yep, this is total abomination of idea!

And, also, if impelented, will be god level hypocrisy.

Like JC smashing economy with soft wipe of paywalls for "players too isolated, not using markets enough", but this will exactly do this: isolate builders in their own virtual building reality forever (especialy -- from market, they will not need anything "material" anymore), we will be seeing only their "show off" screenshots, not them.

No. No. And no.

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

it is that you can not pay anything or do anything to test and design your constructs.. you'd have unlimited access to any material and then take what you build into the live game.

Good? Why do you want to gatekeep the ability to build creatively without needing to grind for materials? JC said only blueprints will be able to be taken out, and I see no problem with that.

Because it will take a big chunk out of the economy of the game and further segment the game.. If NQ does this it effectively ends the single shard game they claim to be creating where everything you do matters as it no longer will.

In reality they already split the game into two shards, once entirely inside a safe zone and one not. But  at least what happens in the safezone can and would potentially impact the whole game still. This would add a third shard entirely instanced into it's own environment.

still confused as to why it'll break the shard up?

people wont be able to play the game if its loaded locally and only on a single hex. hell remove the mining tools if that's still to much playing for your tastes

If its anything more than been a legit tool to give a little more freedom to build stuff for the main game then no its a bad idea

26 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

It would not be in the real world (so all you can bring along from there is a blueprint), but it would allow you to build, test ships, etc, with no strings attached.

Question: Why do CAD and simulation software exist in real life? Why do humans IRL not just slap stuff together and see if it will fly?

If the game still required balancing thrust around center of mass (like I hear it did way back in early Alpha), this becomes even more important.

People should be able to learn game systems without needing to risk days, weeks, or months of grinding if they get it wrong.

Funny, I see both sides of the fence. The good and the bad.

I think the point is NQ made a commitment to be a certain way and are now changing direction away what was said previously, AGAIN. For me the take-away is NQ may have an end game in mind, but they decided to walk the path through the woods where the wolf is.

2 minutes ago, Deintus said:

I think the point is NQ made a commitment to be a certain way and are now changing direction away what was said previously

It's possible that the original promises were naive and they're realizing changes are required.

We forum goers are a very vocal minority. What % of the actual playerbase even bothers to visit these forums?

11 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

It's possible that the original promises were naive and they're realizing changes are required.

We forum goers are a very vocal minority. What % of the actual playerbase even bothers to visit these forums?

For DU I have no clue, but for most games I have ever been a part of, some can have as much as 40% ?

27 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

What will happen is that people will live in the creative world, they will not take part in the game as why would they?

Imagine how many brilliant design I could create with unlimited access to elements, like how many things I can create with a pencil and a piece of paper.

I see no reason not to have a creative mode as it will take nothing out of the game.

3 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

Imagine how many brilliant design I could create with unlimited access to elements, like how many things I can create with a pencil and a piece of paper.

I see no reason not to have a creative mode as it will take nothing out of the game.

It would be nice to see it in game, fly with it, fight against it. Does it fly like a rock? A bird? it can be pretty but can it haul 100kL into space? Simulations even at todays sophistication can never tell all nuances or flaws of a design. Just look at Boeing or SpaceX. The only way to truly test a system, even today, is with a prototype. Even then flaws can sneak in.

Real life example is a modern car. $6 Billion USD is the cost of one model redesign. And that is JUST A car. That money is pumped back into the economy (game) by jobs, materials, research, etc... I bet you would scream if it cost you just 5 Billion Quanta to use creative mode.

30 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

The point is that during a single AMA session, NQ/JC is directly contradicting themselves by justifying changes because the need/want  to see the economy starting and then turn around and pretty much announce a feature which will in fact be detrimental to the economy

They can't have it both ways, that is the main point and issue I have with their wishy washy decision making

7 minutes ago, Deintus said:

It would be nice to see it in game, fly with it, fight against it. Does it fly like a rock? A bird? it can be pretty but can it haul 100kL into space? Simulations even at todays sophistication can never tell all nuances or flaws of a design. Just look at Boeing or SpaceX. The only way to truly test a system, even today, is with a prototype. Even then flaws can sneak in.

Real life example is a modern car. $6 Billion USD is the cost of one model redesign. And that is JUST A car. That money is pumped back into the economy (game) by jobs, materials, research, etc... I bet you would scream if it cost you just 5 Billion Quanta to use creative mode.

But this is not the real world, nor it is meant to be like it. We could start arguing about how unrealistic is to lift a few kilotons of raw ores into space but I bet it's pointless.

If I had to spent a few million quantas to buy a creative mode apparatus (pc + oculus rift + 3dspace max license) I'd be fine :)

20 minutes ago, Lethys said:

But on the plus side: I can then finally just refund my lifetime sub if kickstarter goals aren't met 

Okay, bye. ?

checking the kickstarter, what about this goal: 32WA0c0.png

did that get cancelled? 

edit: what about this promise: The economy in Dual Universe is realistic and under player control

Lies. The bot orders buying t1/t2 ores and selling schematics are a blatant betrayal.

25 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

But this is not the real world, nor it is meant to be like it. We could start arguing about how unrealistic is to lift a few kilotons of raw ores into space but I bet it's pointless.

If I had to spent a few million quantas to buy a creative mode apparatus (pc + oculus rift + 3dspace max license) I'd be fine :)

Then why are they justifying the changes using real world concepts? The statement of making industry like RL was very plain. (i.e. the reference to cell phones) So why shouldn't ALL aspects be such? You seem intelligent, surely you are seeing some hypocrisy here. How can you want markets to be realistic, player driven, industry realistic, player driven, but not apply it to creativity as well?

The solution is an all or none situation. Otherwise what you are doing is making a game that you can design pretty ships in, but that's it. It definitely divides the community. And it would be a few million Quanta per design. The machine would only be 80k.

I dont get how people cant see this splitting the community. One of DUs good points is the voxel engine. Even with the limited creation tools we have now, people are still making impressive ships and structures. If all someone wants to do is build cool stuff, what reason is there to interact with the rest of the community? 

And this thread doesn't even cover the fact that they mentioned adding instances PvP arenas where you can fight without putting your ship on the line. Thats honestly an even bigger blunder in the single shard mission.

5 hours ago, WhatTrigger said:

What do blueprints take away from the economy?

the materials to actually build said item will need to still come from the in game economy

Personally id rather build in a creative mode that is fully offline, then gather the needed materials in the true game to be able to deploy it

I think a creative mode is a great idea and a big improvement to the game, but to answer your question, BPs are saleable product. Letting it come into the game free skews the market.

There should be a cost to bringing a BP from creative mode into the game. I would be inclined to say a creative player should have to gather the materials and deploy the BP (from the creative mode) once in game before he/she can sell copies of it.

19 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

I think a creative mode is a great idea and a big improvement to the game, but to answer your question, BPs are saleable product. Letting it come into the game free skews the market.

There should be a cost to bringing a BP from creative mode into the game. I would be inclined to say a creative player should have to gather the materials and deploy the BP (from the creative mode) once in game before he/she can sell copies of it.

it contradicts pretty much the spirit of the game. Single shard universe. If they lose this one, then this game is dead 100%.